My BB has been sending MMS messages (of photos which are not mine) to phone numbers i do not know automatically (dirty pictures at that from what i can gather from the replies ive been getting!) - and not storing these messages in my sent box.
    I only found out because I got an sms asking me what the picture was! The numbers the MMS's are sent to are not in my contacts. And the person who gets them seems to think they know the person the message is coming from? One thought i was their cousin.
    I think i got the virus from a friend (who didnt know it was a virus) via an MMS voice message. It was one of those funny ring tone things, which i then couldnt get to stop playing at full volume every time i missed a call. i deleted it from my phone, and then took out the battery, which helped. but then the automatic MMS's started. I backed up, wiped my phone, and then reinstalled - which didnt work. so i wiped my phone again and have not reinstalled anything - so far so good! Am keeping a very close eye on my balance, and checking my detailed account online frequently.
    If noone had replied to these MMS's, i wouldnt even have known they were being sent.
    01-08-12 01:03 AM
    Have you recently installed any new apps? I suggest removing the most recently installed ones, then see if it happens again. If it doesn't, it's likely a rogue app you installed. Doesn't hurt to rid some of the ones you don't use or that are causing these issues.
    01-08-12 03:02 AM
    Hi there

I am having the same problem as you.

It started with me on the 5th of Jan this year - i found your post while looking for a solution to this issue.

I had a look at my itemised bill after I got about 12 phone calls and 3 call back messages from numbers I do not know. One woman called me, giggling, saying she got a "love MMS" from me. I thought it was a prank and ended the call. But judging from the fact that she called back 11 more times through the early hours of the morning makes me wonder what was in the MMS. In total, 19 MMS messages were "apparently" sent from my phone number. I have a sponsored account, so this money doesnt come directly from me - but up to a certain threshold. Higher than that any any costs incurred come out of my salary - not good!

I am worried that this may NOT be a virus because why would it send to numbers that are NOT in our contact lists?? I am also struggling to understand why the recipients seem to "know" the sender!! Makes me this this may be an internal hacking type thing related to the service provider.

Where are you located? I am in South Africa. If you are too, this may be a service provider fraud/hacking situation - and maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Please let me know.

For information: The last app i installed what the iSpeech Translator from the BB App store. SURELY that cant be a virus laden if it comes from BB themselves?

Thanks
    01-09-12 12:22 PM
    For information: The last app i installed what the iSpeech Translator from the BB App store. SURELY that cant be a virus laden if it comes from BB themselves?

Thanks
    Actually it can come from AppWorld. JaredCo apps have been known in the past to allow this type of thing to occur. Whether or not you have any of those apps installed, or if this is even the cause, I couldnt' say. But it has been known to happen before from apps from JaredCo.
    01-09-12 12:59 PM
    Hi there

I am having the same problem as you.

It started with me on the 5th of Jan this year - i found your post while looking for a solution to this issue.

I had a look at my itemised bill after I got about 12 phone calls and 3 call back messages from numbers I do not know. One woman called me, giggling, saying she got a "love MMS" from me. I thought it was a prank and ended the call. But judging from the fact that she called back 11 more times through the early hours of the morning makes me wonder what was in the MMS. In total, 19 MMS messages were "apparently" sent from my phone number. I have a sponsored account, so this money doesnt come directly from me - but up to a certain threshold. Higher than that any any costs incurred come out of my salary - not good!

I am worried that this may NOT be a virus because why would it send to numbers that are NOT in our contact lists?? I am also struggling to understand why the recipients seem to "know" the sender!! Makes me this this may be an internal hacking type thing related to the service provider.

Where are you located? I am in South Africa. If you are too, this may be a service provider fraud/hacking situation - and maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Please let me know.

Thanks
    I don't think that it is from the iSpeech Translator, as I have it, and don't have an issue.
    01-09-12 09:59 PM
    Your phone may not be involved at all, you may just have an unlucky phone number.

Just as anyone can send an email appearing to be from you without access to your email account, so can an SMS or MMS be sent that appears to be from you (though it's a bit more complicated).

This is my guess, as the messages aren't being sent to people in your contacts.

A virus on Blackberry would be front-page, above the fold, news on every major newspaper across the globe. It's really unlikely that you have one!
    01-09-12 10:54 PM
    Best thing is to contact the carrier and ask why this is occurring. Stick to the default apps and rule out which third party one is sending the MMS.

And no, it's certainly NOT a virus.
    01-09-12 10:58 PM
    Your phone may not be involved at all, you may just have an unlucky phone number.

Just as anyone can send an email appearing to be from you without access to your email account, so can an SMS or MMS be sent that appears to be from you (though it's a bit more complicated).

This is my guess, as the messages aren't being sent to people in your contacts.

A virus on Blackberry would be front-page, above the fold, news on every major newspaper across the globe. It's really unlikely that you have one!
    Can you explain how that would work? If it says it is coming from his phone number, then how is it not? Wouldn't that mean any SMS, MMS or phone call the OP is receiving would also go to the other person if they had the same number? Or wouldn't there be some conflict if there were more then one number?
    01-09-12 10:59 PM
    Yea, I was thinking along those lines. Probably being sent from a pc.
    01-09-12 11:05 PM
    Yea, I was thinking along those lines. Probably being sent from a pc.
    Ah, yeah they probably are using a PC to send the texts, and the OP must have just been unlucky and the person used their number.
    01-09-12 11:33 PM
    I had the same problem with my blackberry. It sent around 700 MMS on Jan 1st. I enquired with the Service provider Airtel. They say it has come from a email address and gave me the email address. It happened to be the email of a friend of mine. I do not remember adding him in BB. I called but he is not aware of it too. Any clue?
    01-08-14 01:22 AM
    You sure it wasn't just an application you had installed?

I had the same problem with my blackberry. It sent around 700 MMS on Jan 1st. I enquired with the Service provider Airtel. They say it has come from a email address and gave me the email address. It happened to be the email of a friend of mine. I do not remember adding him in BB. I called but he is not aware of it too. Any clue?
    01-08-14 01:37 AM
    This problem sounds like cloned SIMs to me, contact your service provider.
    01-08-14 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD