I'm sure you've had this error before. I just spent the last hour and half with this problem and finally after trial and error I figured out what was causing it. It seems that this is a common error when anything on the blackberry goes wrong. Many thing scan cause it.

• Themes
    • Games
    • Software
    • and one I would never have guessed... Security options enabled

I was resetting my bb and it always came up with this error after I put in my password. I disabled and re-enabled security and it now works error free.

Ok so let's post some of our experiences with this error here. Then if somebody does a Google search to find this problem in the future, at least somebody has tried to fix it.

Paul

BTW nice podcast crackberry. I enjoyed it but it ate my 8830 resources like a pig. lol
    02-15-08 01:05 PM
    all this appears to be is software having trouble processing request and yes can happen with any app. if becomes major issue can always reload software. Great info on this error!!
    02-15-08 03:09 PM
    I've gotten the error evet time I've tried to play the free Pacman game. It installs fine but gives me that error whenever I try to run it. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the game under three different OSes (4.3.0.60, .81, and .97) and get the error every time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-08 07:58 AM
    My error was caused by my Blackberry Messenger. Everytime I tried to open it from my home screen, I received the error "java.lang.nullpointerexception."

I had a group conversation going and everyone left. The next day, when I tried to go into my BB Messenger, I received the error "java.lang.nullpointerexception." I had to go to my "Messages" icon, open a different conversation, click the previous button. My Current Conversation list looked weird so I had to go to menu "Open" because if I clicked on it, nothing happened. I was then able to open the conversation and end it. My error message went away and I am now able to open my BB Meesenger from my home screen.
    03-25-08 08:43 AM
    I get the error almost everytime a delete emails from my mail box. It just started doing this yesterday. I haven't added any new apps to my bb in a while. What could be causing my device to get these errors?
    07-24-08 10:28 AM
    Also none of my new emails show up in the main message folder. I have to go to the specific folder for the email address that email was sent to to access it.
    07-24-08 12:16 PM
    I've gotten the error evet time I've tried to play the free Pacman game. It installs fine but gives me that error whenever I try to run it. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the game under three different OSes (4.3.0.60, .81, and .97) and get the error every time.

Same exact thing for me, OS 4.3.0.97. Pearl 8130 Verizon.
    07-24-08 12:33 PM
    Thaaanks Dreams518 your solution was very helpful!
    03-03-09 12:16 AM
    My husband gets it on his 8310 4.5.110 every time he misses a call and clicks view to see his call log. Still haven't found a solution.

03-03-09 12:26 AM
    An NPE is a very common error because it is an error at a fundamental level of programming in Java. Essentially, an object in code was dereferenced before it was instantiated, hence "null pointer."

You can see this type of exception anywhere, but that doesn't mean its the same bug.
    03-03-09 12:32 AM
    Whenever I don't reboot my phone properly I get a whole crap load of errors and even when I reboot properly i get errors. My phone will also periodicly turn off and then comeback on... That happen to anyone? I've had 3 bolds all of them did it. I also get the error Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(0x7491f7b6ae80681a)tim eout ???? WTF?!?!? And I get the java.lang.NullPointerException like 3-5 times when my phone comes on! Oh and to get even sweeter! Sometimes my background and lots of applications are gone! Even the ones that came ON THE PHONE! I would really appreciate some help because I am desperate!
    -Emily
    07-28-09 09:57 AM
    Also none of my new emails show up in the main message folder. I have to go to the specific folder for the email address that email was sent to to access it.
    The EXACT same thing is happening to me now, but it's also affecting my SMSes, I have to go into the inbox just to retrieve new messages.

My problem is that it's happening at startup, but the strange thing is that it only happens to custom themes, when I'm using Precision Zen (default provided with the phone) the phone works perfectly.

It wouldn't be ideal to not be able to use themes other than the default. I know this thread has been around for ages but is there someone who can actually solve this specific problem?
    11-17-09 10:53 PM
    Everytime I go into my facebook app it tells me this java.lang.nullpointerexception what is this and why is it happening, its driving me nuts!! I have a blackberry curve 8300 ... Dose anyone know what I can do to fix this??

08-29-10 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD