I wouldn't know, I have no interest in it.
    but yet you sure do have interest in arguing about if an android touchscreen can do what you are talking about. My guess is it cant since its a touchscreen, which is also a good reason you cant do what you are describing on a android device. Its a simple different between touchscreens and keyboard devices. not and android vs BB thing.
    11-29-11 05:19 PM
    OK, so the idea is that there is no one perfect device and that different people find different things to be important. Right? So WTF????
    Use what you like, don't use what you don't like, and accept the other person's choice as to what he/she does with his/her moolah.

Personally, I think nothing will ever beat my Startac. *ducks*
    Naw, my Sony Z1 was better

Just had a look at Motorola Startac on Ebay and they are sold as "Vintage" lol
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-29-11 at 05:47 PM.
    11-29-11 05:36 PM
    but yet you sure do have interest in arguing about if an android touchscreen can do what you are talking about. My guess is it cant since its a touchscreen, which is also a good reason you cant do what you are describing on a android device. Its a simple different between touchscreens and keyboard devices. not and android vs BB thing.
    Not really, no other qwerty mobile can do that, Android ones included, it's a BB vs the rest thing.
    11-29-11 05:43 PM
    Tried android once. Didnt like it at all. Too much going on with the OS and nothing was as simple as on my BB. Also didnt like the fact that I had to hack the phone in order to get rid of crappy apps that I was never going to use.

Had an Apple Iphone 4. Great device. Very smooth OS. No complaints whatsoever. Went back to BB for the form factor. Just love the looks of the 9930 and the way it feels in my hand. I was never much of an app guy. With my iphone I had maybe 3 apps. My BB is perfect for my needs.
    Last edited by deevel79; 11-29-11 at 07:11 PM.
    11-29-11 07:05 PM
    Yes exaggeration but here, to dial a recently dialed number:
    BB: four digit code>enter>Green key>scroll>Green key(call)
    Android: power button> four digit code>enter>Phone app>call log tab>scroll>swipe call (call)
    That's 40% more effort to make that call.

Speed dial:
    BB: 4 digit code>enter>hold 2 (call)
    Android: Power button>4 digit code>enter>phone app>hold 2 (call)
    That's 66% more effort

There is a difference between unread and unread&new. I don't like to open emails that I don't want to respond right away so it's important to know I have seen it but have not opened it. On a BB, the red* denotes this. If a message is new and you have not seen it then it's a gold envelop with a red * but if you have seen it but not open it (meaning you will get to it later), then the red * disappears. It's little things like this that really makes the difference.
    Don't know what Android setup you're using... but on mine it's much simpler.

Recent numbers on Android. Total 4 touches.
    Power > Pattern Swipe > Phone > Tap recent call.
    By your example it's 8 actions on BB.

Speed Dial on Android. Total 3 Touches (4 touches if you have to scroll the speed dial widget).
    Power > Pattern Swipe > Tap speed number on widget.
    By your example it's 6 actions on BB.

All done one handed with the thumb. Doesn't get much simpler. But really.. to nitpick over a process that takes less than 2 seconds is a bit nutty.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 11-29-11 at 07:29 PM.
    11-29-11 07:25 PM
    I guess I'm not sure where this thread is going. For those of you that are saying that "Android can't and my blackberry can do ........" have you actually spent more than a few days or a week on an Android device? I remember having to scroll and click and click and click until I found applications like Quick launch. Well, I found folders and circle launcher and app groupings that essentially do the same thing.

I might not get push but I get instant. I use Gmail and outlook exchange. I get both in seconds. I can careless if it's instant or push...to me it gets to my inboxes quickly and that's what matters to me. With email, the only thing I don't get on Android that I got with Blackberry was truncated emails and a lot of them.

I can get to anything that I want with 1 or 2 clicks.

So the Android users that are familiar with both devices gave some advice and said what we could do with our devices. And we stated we felt more productive with the Android phone. We never said we didn't like Blackberrys. I didn't see any Blackberry bashing. But it seems like a number of the Blackberry users want to convince us Android users that we're wrong about our devices.

If you only spend a day or two with a device, you don't really know what it can or can't do.

If I was an Android user and switched to blackberry, it'd take me some time to figure it out.

Do your research before you go buy a phone. If you must have a day and a half of battery life while constantly being on your phone and not around a charger, then don't get an Android. If you don't want to use a touchscreen, then don't get a touchscreen. If you don't want truncated emails, don't get a blackberry. If you have 7 different email addresses on different hosts and all have to be push, then don't get anything but a Blackberry. If you don't want a "brick" to carry around, don't buy a 4" screen phone.

Now if you want to check out a device, really give it a chance. There's a wonderful website called Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers . They have a forum there. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know about your phone.

If I could get a 4.5" touchscreen blackberry that I could mess with widgets and customize my screens any way I wanted, then I might go back to blackberry.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 11-29-11 at 07:45 PM.
    11-29-11 07:39 PM
    That's it, I'm done with this Android. It's a stupid POS.
    I didn't have my watch on today and needed the date, looked on home screen and realized it wasn't even there.

I can drag bar down and see it.
    I can DL another app to fill it's incompetency.

If I had an employee that came out of the box so lacking and needed all these "apps" to make him/her competent.- back to the "store" he/she goes!

WTF was I thinking trying this?!
    12-01-11 12:57 PM
    I didn't have my watch on today and needed the date, looked on home screen and realized it wasn't even there.

If I had an employee that came out of the box so lacking and needed all these "apps" to make him/her competent.- back to the "store" he/she goes!

Android just isn't right for you I see.
    12-01-11 01:01 PM

Technology isn't for everyone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-01-11 01:14 PM
    The date was always displayed on my lock screen. I used HTC Sense though.
    12-01-11 02:32 PM

How could you have possibly missed the widget/s that come stock with the phone? I have yet to see a single Android phone that doesn't come with a widget to show the date and time (and doesn't already have that widget on the main homescreen at first power on).
    12-01-11 03:44 PM
    LOL...

OP, you gotta go with what makes you happy.
    12-01-11 04:02 PM

Actually you don't even have to drag the bar down, just touch it and it'll slide just a bit to show you the date. Or long press on your home screen and you get a bunch of widgets. For that matter, you can install so many widgets that will allow you to tinker with putting your date, clock, etc on your homescreen.

For example, this is how I have my screen currently

The problem is you don't have the phone set up the way that is optimal for you.

Why don't you shoot one of us that have had an Android for awhile and we can answer any questions you have. Going from one platform to another, everyone will ahve that learning curve. If you don't like Android, no sweat, switch back. But it'd be like me moving from a windows to a mac and getting frustrated with it without really spending anytime getting to learn how it works because it's not set up like windows.

Once you learn how your Android phone works, the possibilities are pretty endless on how you can make it look.

Have you tried different launchers? Different messaging apps? Using desktop visualizer, you can use any icon you want for any application or folder at pretty much any size you want. With different launchers, you can make your widgets larger or smaller.

A lot of times I don't even put a clock and date widget on the screen because I have the time in my bar and I can touch the pulldown menu bar and get the date. Sure it takes all of one second longer than having the date displayed right on the screen but, eh, what's a second?
    12-01-11 10:19 PM
    It honestly doesn't sound like he wants help, to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    12-01-11 10:49 PM
    It honestly doesn't sound like he wants help, to be honest.

Oh. I was envisioning ThePoisonBerry as pretty hot chica. And you're prob right. Sometimes it's easier to throw your hands up and go back to what's familiar.
    12-01-11 10:52 PM
    Android makes a terrible business phone usecase and no match for a Blackberry, although it shines being consumer friendly with huge number of apps, screen size, flashy, customization etc.

The part where Android terribly lacks is unified communications, if you use any other email other than gmail you are basically screwed and it gets as crappy it can be. You will end up having multiple email clients, go mutiple places to check emails. And you also will forego the push services too.

I think there will be no other OS as communication friendly as our good ole BBOS and may be even the case with BBX. Basically in most modern OSes apps are sanboxed or run with no inter-dependencies as against BBOS which is weaved within to seamlessly collaborate from with in the apps (that can get crappy sometimes if you have some misbehaving app and the problem cascades all over). Sending messages/photos from within the apps, Unified Inbox, true push and secured email, shortcuts, esp what I missed on android (gmail and other leading email apps) is to select multiple emails by touch-selecting mutiple emails in the Inbox and delete them (although there are options to go via menu but that sucks)
    Last edited by sf49ers; 12-01-11 at 11:11 PM.
    12-01-11 11:04 PM
    Android makes a terrible business phone usecase and no match for a Blackberry, although it shines being consumer friendly with huge number of apps, screen size, flashy, customization etc.

The part where Android terribly lacks is unified communications, if you use any other email other than gmail you are basically screwed and it gets as crappy it can be. You will end up having multiple email clients, go mutiple places to check emails. And you also will forego the push services too.

I think there will be no other OS as communication friendly as our good ole BBOS and may be even the case with BBX. Basically in most modern OSes apps are sanboxed or run with no inter-dependencies as against BBOS which is weaved within to seamlessly collaborate from with in the apps (that can get crappy sometimes if you have some misbehaving app and the problem cascades all over). Sending messages/photos from within the apps, Unified Inbox, true push and secured email, shortcuts, esp I missed on android is to mutiple select emails using touching mutiple emails in the Inbox and delete them.
    this is completely untrue. I have 1 email app to check my work email, hotmail and i can even use it for gmail. i have 3 email accounts that i use and all are push.

I can also delete multiple emails with the same client i use above. The emails can be from different accounts even.

Please do not spread false information. Thank you.
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-01-11 at 11:13 PM.
    DenverRalphy and reeneebob like this.
    12-01-11 11:11 PM
    Androids are not bad, I used to like my old Android only thing that really pushed me over the edge to go back to BB is the battery life. Any big spec phone is gonna do a funeral service on the battery. Was kinda annoying having to turn GPS,4G on and off throughout the day and using the Task killer all the time. I was really afraid of using my phone.
    finally got a extended battery for the phone, but it made it so damn bulky and ugly that I was actually embarrassed to take it out in public.
    so went back to BB. to be fair I did give it a 2 months try.
    other than that no complaints about Androids.
    12-01-11 11:12 PM
    ^^ you should not have been using the task killer. It probably was draining the battery faster than helping it
    12-01-11 11:18 PM
    you are absolutely right about that. The thing is when I was using this phone
    people were telling me to use this app to save battery and now I read it actually drains
    the battery more and the Android does a good job at task management without the
    app smh
    12-01-11 11:26 PM
    most times the cell companies "recommend" the task killer app. it had more use back in 1.6 and maybe 2.1 BUT 2.2 and on are different animals. Many of the cell providers still push the use of the app since they dont know any better. Cant really blame the customer in those cases. Many people trust that their carrier knows whats good and go by what they say.
    12-01-11 11:30 PM
    this is completely untrue. I have 1 email app to check my work email, hotmail and i can even use it for gmail. i have 3 email accounts that i use and all are push.

I can also delete multiple emails with the same client i use above. The emails can be from different accounts even.

I know there are email clients in Android which offer common inbox but not as good for example inorder to get the perfect Gmail experience I am forced to use a Gmal app.
    I assume you have not used a Blackberry OS 6 or OS 7 device, believe me I use a Torch 9810 and got rid of a Atrix before that and now using a Skyrocket as a casual device(intended as a gift for someone in the family). The stock email that ships with android phones is basically crap (I wonder if the vendor makes the email app or Google but I think it is mostly the vendor). hence I am forced to go with third party email clients like k-9 etc. That's what I meant and inorder to have a perfect email experience on Android I will have to use mutiple means unlike a Blackberry which gives a clean way to do right out the box whether it may be yahoo, hotmail, gmail or a corporate email it is completely transparent to the end user. Added to that my k-9 app can't do push on some of my email accounts that I have and hence it pools every 5 minutes.

Lastly I told Android gives a way to select mutiple apps but not as good as in the OS6/OS7 touch screen devices (at-least in my case ), basically in Android inorder to select multiple emails you will have either go via a menu key for that option(k9 email) or make a selection of individual items(checked box) in the inbox(gmail app) but in OS6/OS7 you basically you use two fingers to make a selection (Put finger 1 down on start of selection and hold. Put finger 2 down on the end of the selection to select mutiple items.)
    12-01-11 11:45 PM

I read it and thought "did I imagine that unified inbox I used on my Galaxy that had 4 email addresses, SMS and Facebook all in one spot? Was it a mirage?". Lol

12-02-11 12:18 AM
    I know there are email clients in Android which offer common inbox but not as good for example inorder to get the perfect Gmail experience I am forced to use a Gmal app.
    I assume you have not used a Blackberry OS 6 or OS 7 device, believe me I use a Torch 9810 and got rid of a Atrix before that and now using a Skyrocket as a casual device(intended as a gift for someone in the family). The stock email that ships with android phones is basically crap (I wonder if the vendor makes the email app or Google but I think it is mostly the vendor). hence I am forced to go with third party email clients like k-9 etc. That's what I meant and inorder to have a perfect email experience on Android I will have to use mutiple means unlike a Blackberry which gives a clean way to do right out the box whether it may be yahoo, hotmail, gmail or a corporate email it is completely transparent to the end user. Added to that my k-9 app can't do push on some of my email accounts that I have and hence it pools every 5 minutes.

Lastly I told Android gives a way to select mutiple apps but not as good as in the OS6/OS7 touch screen devices (at-least in my case ), basically in Android inorder to select multiple emails you will have either go via a menu key for that option(k9 email) or make a selection of individual items(checked box) in the inbox(gmail app) but in OS6/OS7 you basically you use two fingers to make a selection (Put finger 1 down on start of selection and hold. Put finger 2 down on the end of the selection to select mutiple items.)
    So... since it did not fit your way of doing things (the BlackBerry way), it is terrible?

Getting a device to do what you want IS your prerogative. I get that. What I don't get is the empirical statement of fact. The perfect communications device (as you see it) is becoming, uh, "perfect" for less and less people. They are not all devoid of the communication gene that some folks think makes one choose only BlackBerry.
    12-02-11 12:49 AM
    what you mention are differences between having a keyboard and a touch screen.
    No, not really - The sequence on a BB is the same whether it is a touchscreen or a physical keyboard.
    12-02-11 03:27 AM
183 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD