12-04-11 01:51 PM
183 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Quick to show off with gmail but what about those millions of hosted email accounts without exchange?

Android and Iphone have no push for those, go and buy the oldest Blackberry you can, in my case the 7230 for 5 on ebay, and even that would have push for them.
    Quick to completely stir the conversation to something else that was not related to the main point which is, push email on the other brands. They are capable, period, its not a RIM trait, you are just now diving into other topics because the main claim got taken down. That they depend more on the provider to have the capability of pushing email is another story, because they lack an intermediary server to handle everything.

RIM has push email for all non-push accounts because the BIS servers poll these non-push enabled email accounts in minute intervals. In fact, if you set up a personal domain with a webmail account for it using the hosting with no push email or imap capability at all, you will experience delays (obviously not long e.g 1min) while receiving emails compared to gmail or any other popular push capable provider/server. The intermediary server polling and then pushing does of course remove the phone from doing that and thus has no impact on the battery life, but by no means is BIS 100% push on all email accounts while retrieving emails in a timely manner, its just not done by the phone.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-29-11 at 04:12 PM.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    11-29-11 04:09 PM
    Ahhhhhh WRONG ANSWER...Tell him what he's won Johnny. A free video for you:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnyA2bBbsm0[/YT]
    Lol, maybe you need to listen again from minute 1, that AOL account he's talking about would be PUSH on a Blackberry, on IOS it's a big NO PUSH
    11-29-11 04:12 PM
    Quick to completely stir the conversation to something else that was not related to the main point which is, push email on the other brands. They are capable, period, its not a RIM trait, you are just now diving into other topics because the main claim got taken down. That they depend more on the provider to have the capability of pushing email is another story, because they lack an intermediary server to handle everything.

RIM has push email for all non-push accounts because the BIS servers poll these non-push enabled email accounts in minute intervals. In fact, if you set up a personal domain with a webmail account for it using the hosting with no push email or imap capability at all, you will experience delays (obviously not long e.g 1min) while receiving emails compared to gmail or any other popular push capable provider/server. The intermediary server polling and then pushing does of course remove the phone from doing that and thus has no impact on the battery life, but by no means is BIS 100% push on all email accounts while retrieving emails in a timely manner, its just not done by the phone.

Push doesn't mean instant email, it means the handset never ever looks for new email, it just waits for it to arrive.
    11-29-11 04:15 PM
    People just need to use what works for them. Also, yeah Android isn't as secure as BB, supposedly nothing is. If that is your main focus, then by all means keep on keeping with your bad self.

I have yet to be hacked by anyone and that is a long list of devices from computers to smartphones and anything else in between.

People needs to stop justifying their purchase so much. We get it, you like it, but everybody is different and we should all be lucky we still have so many choices!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-29-11 04:20 PM

Wait - was that "quick to show off gmail" quoted post you are answering in response to my post? Thanks for responding back - he knows I have him on ignore so I won't be able to answer back to whatever he says.
    11-29-11 04:25 PM
    Wait - was that "quick to show off gmail" quoted post you are answering in response to my post? Thanks for responding back - he knows I have him on ignore so I won't be able to answer back to whatever he says.
    Sorry, that's your problem not mine, I am willing to talk to anybody on this forum as long as they stay civil and don't take things personal.
    11-29-11 04:31 PM
    Quick access to apps, speed dial and functions is something blackberry will always do better: 24 speed dials, 18 keyboard shortcuts and 18 apps on screen, all accesibile from home screen.

I doubt even the largest Android phones can fit that much on the screen for one move access.
    ... here are a couple of things I need to be able to do on the go at a moment's notice.

• Skype with troubled teens that need help at ANY time.
    • Take video, and post to websites and social networks
    • Manage our email, calendar and web access
    • Supply hotspot in a pinch
    • Remotely manage multiple desktops
    • Manage an entire social program from device (music, powerpoint, audio, etc.)
    • HDMI use
    • Document management via FREE FULL D2G and DropBoxed QuickOffice

These are just a few things I have needed to do in the last fortnight. I am not adding personal things like WatchESPN, Netflix or the pure joy of watching my kids play Cut The Rope. These are things I do for my job.

Can you see why in the scheme of things 24 Speed dials mean little to me?

By the way, if I do want all my apps on one of my homescreens, I can do that.
    11-29-11 04:43 PM
    Tre but you can't push a letter to dial don't you see?????? C'mon quit living under a rock.
    11-29-11 04:51 PM
    Quick access to apps, speed dial and functions is something blackberry will always do better: 24 speed dials, 18 keyboard shortcuts and 18 apps on screen, all accesibile from home screen.

I doubt even the largest Android phones can fit that much on the screen for one move access.
    Great point. I mean, who wants to live without 24 speed dials and 18 keyboard shortcuts? Not me!
    11-29-11 04:53 PM

If speed dials were that important, you could set up an entire home page (or 3 or 5) with them..with photos of who your dialing..not just remembering what letter is associated with what contact.

If i wanted, I can have 15 shortcuts on my bottom dock alone..with an additional 16 per page if I wanted.

I can also access ALL my apps with one click.

Not sure what point you're trying to make out of all this...that BB is better? Maybe for your needs but not for tens of millions of others.
    11-29-11 04:54 PM
    ... here are a couple of things I need to be able to do on the go at a moment's notice.

• Skype with troubled teens that need help at ANY time.
    • Take video, and post to websites and social networks
    • Manage our email, calendar and web access
    • Supply hotspot in a pinch
    • Remotely manage multiple desktops
    • Manage an entire social program from device (music, powerpoint, audio, etc.)
    • HDMI use
    • Document management via FREE FULL D2G and DropBoxed QuickOffice

These are just a few things I have needed to do in the last fortnight. I am not adding personal things like WatchESPN, Netflix or the pure joy of watching my kids play Cut The Rope. These are things I do for my job.

Can you see why in the scheme of things 24 Speed dials mean little to me?

By the way, if I do want all my apps on one of my homescreens, I can do that.
    Sounds to me like you could do with a tablet with a data plan

I need to receive emails very fast for my hosted email account and respond even faster(my emails look like this sent from client at 10:00am, received 10:00am, my reply sent at 10:00am), I need to handle calls very fast, open and update documents in Dropbox, find addresses fast(not much need for navigation as I can find my way if I see the location first on the map)

Can't make a Blackberry into an Android or an Android into a Blackberry
    11-29-11 04:56 PM
    If speed dials were that important, you could set up an entire home page (or 3 or 5) with them..with photos of who your dialing..not just remembering what letter is associated with what contact.

If i wanted, I can have 15 shortcuts on my bottom dock alone..with an additional 16 per page if I wanted.

I can also access ALL my apps with one click.

Not sure what point you're trying to make out of all this...that BB is better? Maybe for your needs but not for tens of millions of others.
    I was responding to somebody that said he can't see a blackberry doing anything better then android, being able to do 60 things from home screen without swiping between screens is one thing BB does better.

And please show me how do you access all your apps with one click? Surely you can't fit them all in one screen can you?
    11-29-11 05:01 PM
    I was responding to somebody that said he can't see a blackberry doing anything better then android, being able to do 60 things from home screen without swiping between screens is one thing BB does better.

And please show me how do you access all your apps with one click? Surely you can't fit them all in one screen can you?
    You still need to swipe to access your All, Favorites, etc. You like to push one button, I like to use one swipe. It's all the same in the end.

When I hit my apps button, it takes me to all my apps. A simple scroll gives me access to all of them..which is no different than Quick Launch. I could fill my homescreen with them, but if I liked the look of that i'd get an iphone.
    11-29-11 05:06 PM
    Great point. I mean, who wants to live without 24 speed dials and 18 keyboard shortcuts? Not me!
    You do realize that's the equivalent of 42 icons on your main screen all accessible with one click don't you?

Ridicule if you wish bt being able to do 60 different things with one click or touch as soon as I unlock my phone is pretty important in my book and it's the reason I have a Blackberry.
    11-29-11 05:08 PM
    You still need to swipe to access your All, Favorites, etc. You like to push one button, I like to use one swipe. It's all the same in the end.

When I hit my apps button, it takes me to all my apps. A simple scroll gives me access to all of them..which is no different than Quick Launch. I could fill my homescreen with them, but if I liked the look of that i'd get an iphone.
    I don't, I can let the All screen full with icons, 18 of them visible on the screen and available at a touch, add them to 18 shortcuts and 24 speed dials makes 60 things available at a click or touch, no swiping, no scrolling.

Edit- 62 actually, forgot about profiles and connections.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-29-11 at 05:16 PM.
    11-29-11 05:11 PM
    LOL. You got me once again...
    11-29-11 05:17 PM
    I don't, I can let the All screen full with icons, 18 of them visible on the screen and available at a touch, add them to 18 shortcuts and 24 speed dials makes 60 things available at a click or touch, no swiping, no scrolling.

Edit- 62 actually, forgot about profiles and connections.
    can the 9850 do that?
    11-29-11 05:24 PM
    LOL. You got me once again...
    Seriously though, would a tablet not suit your job better? Android tablet of course or a small netbook.
    11-29-11 05:26 PM
    can the 9850 do that?
    I wouldn't know, I have no interest in it.
    11-29-11 05:28 PM
    Seriously though, would a tablet not suit your job better? Android tablet of course or a small netbook.
    I would love a tablet, but being on a budget takes care of that. But that is a why I really look for powerful, all-round devices. I probably wouldn't take a tablet out of the house. I coach football (soccer for my fellow Yanks), and so I need a truly mobile device.

Having said that, I love the wife's Nook Color, but I have always craved the PB. The deficiencies (like true videochat) would mean little to me, since my EVO would be my main device anyway. it would be a true pleasure device. The pricing is getting better, so we'll see.

I probably would not get an Android tablet. The good ones are over-priced (IMHO).

And I will NOT take up an extra data plan. No way. Tethering all the way.
    BoldtotheMax and BoldtotheMax like this.
    11-29-11 05:36 PM
    You do realize that's the equivalent of 42 icons on your main screen all accessible with one click don't you?
    It's clear you find this particularly impressive. I'm glad you're happy with it.

Ridicule if you wish bt being able to do 60 different things with one click or touch as soon as I unlock my phone is pretty important in my book and it's the reason I have a Blackberry.
    I wouldn't have thought anything different.
    11-29-11 05:38 PM
    I was the biggest Android hater in the universe. I actually said I hated Android and detested Android users.
    You detested me?
    11-29-11 05:41 PM
    You detested me?
    I did!!!! But then I hacked into your phone and took a look at your pics...you're cute!!!!
    Rickroller and ThaGeNeCySt like this.
    11-29-11 06:02 PM
    OK, so the idea is that there is no one perfect device and that different people find different things to be important. Right? So WTF????
    Use what you like, don't use what you don't like, and accept the other person's choice as to what he/she does with his/her moolah.

Personally, I think nothing will ever beat my Startac. *ducks*
    11-29-11 06:17 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/

We just don't need more threads like that. -.-
    11-29-11 06:19 PM
183 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD