Well, if an attacker wanted to do that they would have to:

1. Repackage it
    2. Have their own appstore account
    3. Change the app so it doesn't look like the original

That's all. I'm guessing it would be removed from the store quite quickly but yes it's possible.
    12-03-11 02:42 PM
    I know your laughing now but when it becomes more widepsread then you'll be crying.
    I promise that the day I download a virus, I will post in this very thread. If, after doing what I do prior to downloading (checking peer review, only downloading from approved markets, not downloading apps that deal with huge mammaries from Chinese app locations, etc.) I still get a virus, I will post that I was wrong. I give my word.

So far, the same things I did before downloading BB apps has kept me safe on Android. I do not download pirated apks, though, and prefer purchasing directly from developer when possible.

I am not trying to change your mind... I think you're pretty set in your decision. I do think you might be overly concerned about an issue most users have learned is not an issue.
    12-03-11 02:47 PM
    I know your laughing now but when it becomes more widepsread then you'll be crying.
    Oh c'mon. Stop wishing bad things on people. We get it...it's possible to get a virus. And, yes, if you develop an app, there's the possibility that it can be pirated. And there are apps out there that have been 'cracked' by the best and still won't work unless you pay for them. They certainly won't update. It's much harder to get a virus than not...you basically have to go seek it out.

p.s. It's okay that we like Android phones. You seem hostile to those that use Android.
    12-03-11 02:49 PM
    Well, this is only an issue if a user downloads pirated apks. ALOT of users download pirated apks.

Post above doesn't seem to understand my position. I am a developer and have no preference to OS. I am annoyed by the fact that the source code is easily readable by anyone. Years of hardwork can be stolen by ANYONE. I guess their is enough money being made that people don't care if their work is stolen....ya right...
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-03-11 at 02:53 PM.
    12-03-11 02:49 PM
    Well, this is only an issue if a user downloads pirated apks. ALOT of users download pirated apks.

Post above doesn't seem to understand my position. I am a developer and have no preference to OS. I am annoyed by the fact that the source code is easily readable by anyone. Years of hardwork can be stolen by ANYONE. I guess their is enough money being made that people don't care if their work is stolen....ya right...
    That makes sense. When you look at it from the perspective of stolen intellectual property, that would tick me off.

Still, the Android community is pretty closely knit. The devs at XDA, for instance, come down HARD on folks who do stuff lie that. Some devs bypass the Android Market completely and just post on XDA (donations welcome).
    dobiefan likes this.
    12-03-11 02:57 PM
    That makes sense. When you look at it from the perspective of stolen intellectual property, that would tick me off.

Still, the Android community is pretty closely knit. The devs at XDA, for instance, come down HARD on folks who do stuff lie that. Some devs bypass the Android Market completely and just post on XDA (donations welcome).

Thank you for understanding. I actually like Android OS but the only problems are :
    piracy and the problem with intellectual property being stolen. I even have a couple of books on making apps for Android OS.
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-03-11 at 03:10 PM.
    12-03-11 03:08 PM

No. I understood what you were talking about. But your emphasis was on the virus from pirated apps. And that you hoped those pirating apks were visited by a swarm of locusts, that their first borns were killed, and that the waters were turned to blood. And then something about the gnashing of teeth.

You only mentioned the stolen apks in terms of finance a couple of times. Now being stolen from is a totally different subject. And that isn't right at all. The app prices are almost always more than reasonable and there's no excuse for a person not to support the developers. There's enough free apps that they shouldn't be ripping off the paid apps.

Kinda what Tre was mentioning, on XDA and the other forums, I've seen posters banned for asking for places they can DL pirated apps or asking other members to upload an apk of a paid app. And the forum members themselves (specially at XDA) are very quick to ostracize trolling for pirated apps. Very frowned upon.
    12-03-11 03:30 PM
    The GSII is one of the best Androids on the market IMO. I have one and I think its a terrific phone. Its leaps and bounds above the Captivate I had and AT LEAST as good (if not better) than the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S that I had and the Torch 9810 that I have now. Don't feel bad if you don't warm up to the Android though. Just go with whatever feels comfortable to you. If you are strictly a Blackberry person embrace that and just go back to your Blackberry!
    12-04-11 12:51 PM
183 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD