So... since it did not fit your way of doing things (the BlackBerry way), it is terrible?

Getting a device to do what you want IS your prerogative. I get that. What I don't get is the empirical statement of fact. The perfect communications device (as you see it) is becoming, uh, "perfect" for less and less people. They are not all devoid of the communication gene that some folks think makes one choose only BlackBerry.
    Less and less people? The Blackberry subscriber numbers are always going up, now over 70 millions, how is that less and less people?
    12-02-11 03:31 AM
    I have AOL (don't laugh at me, it was my first email account ever when I came to America), Hotmail and Gmail (which I don't use, but google requires me to have it for the app market) and they all work seamlessly on my Atrix.
    I went through **** trying to get them all through Gmail and finally just gave up. I have separate accounts which I access through the Messages icon. I don't like a Universal inbox, although it's there.
    I prefer BB's mail management, but I'm sure that if I tinkered with it long enough I'd have my different accounts showing up separately on my homescreen.
    12-02-11 03:38 AM
    I was the biggest Android hater in the universe. I actually said I hated Android and detested Android users. I said that if the last platform standing was an Android I would resort back to using a dumbphone.

Well, this Android hater is now a BB AND Android lover. Here is how it happened....

It's been said many times, but the penny had to drop for me....Android phones are almost blank slates upon which you build the phone you like. There are hundreds of free apps for *almost* all the features I love in my BB.

My opinion after finally *getting* what Android is about, is that it is a great platform for tinkerers. If you want to invest the time to tinker with the device you will get it almost like a BB. Sadly, because of the unavailability of apps, the same cannot be said about my 9930. By that I don't mean a media powerhouse; obviously that is not the intent of the BB platform. What I mean is that, for example, I cannot find an app for the DC Circulator bus on BB....yet both iOS and Android have one. Not entertainment apps, but useful daily life apps. I sooo want a DC Circulator app for my BB!!!!!

Understand this, I am a BB lover first and foremost. I love BBerries. Oooooone after the other. But just like I can love the different personality of my golden retriever as opposed to my border collie I can love the different approaches between Android and BB. If I had to choose one I would choose a BB. But I have come to love using my Atrix.

By the way, I also love how in the BB you can see the difference between "new" email and "unread."

Also for the record, I do not trust Google to be a secure platform. *If* I could trust it I would pull my my most negative assertion about the Android platform. It is a security nightmare. I know, I know.....some don't care about that. But I do. Therefore I prefer BB over Android. I am a BB fan and I'm willing to admits its flaws.....I am a fan, less of one but a fan nonetheless, of the Android platform and I must admit that security is not at all Android's strong suit. Reality is what it is.
    This is EXACTLY how I feel after I got my Atrix! I love my BB for email, BBM and the security on it but I like the tinkering & the apps that are available on the Atrix so I too carry both devices around every day. I bought a 4s when it came out and I actually like the Atrix much better in every way other than the camera and the appearance of the 4s.

BTW: does your Atrix get really warm on the back after using it only for a few minutes?
    12-02-11 03:39 AM

So the Android users that are familiar with both devices gave some advice and said what we could do with our devices. And we stated we felt more productive with the Android phone. We never said we didn't like Blackberrys. I didn't see any Blackberry bashing. But it seems like a number of the Blackberry users want to convince us Android users that we're wrong about our devices.
    Just to keep the record straight....it's a thing with me.....I've got both devices and I actually I'm using both simultaneously. However.....I feel more productive on my BB. For me, my Atrix is better suited for media and entertainment. My BB works better for me to get things "DONE!"
    Loving both, two separate types of phones which for me have different sets of purposes given their different approaches.
    *If* I had to give one up, it would be the Atrix. I still prefer the BB. But, very different from before when I used to be an Android hater, I find that I like my Atrix just fine.
    12-02-11 03:49 AM
    If speed dials were that important, you could set up an entire home page (or 3 or 5) with them..with photos of who your dialing..not just remembering what letter is associated with what contact.

If i wanted, I can have 15 shortcuts on my bottom dock alone..with an additional 16 per page if I wanted.

I can also access ALL my apps with one click.

Not sure what point you're trying to make out of all this...that BB is better? Maybe for your needs but not for tens of millions of others.
    How do you get 15 shortcuts on the bottom dock? I can only do 4
    12-02-11 03:51 AM
    He's probably using a different launcher.

Sent from Tapatalk
    12-02-11 06:19 AM
    I know there are email clients in Android which offer common inbox but not as good for example inorder to get the perfect Gmail experience I am forced to use a Gmal app.
    I assume you have not used a Blackberry OS 6 or OS 7 device, believe me I use a Torch 9810 and got rid of a Atrix before that and now using a Skyrocket as a casual device(intended as a gift for someone in the family). The stock email that ships with android phones is basically crap (I wonder if the vendor makes the email app or Google but I think it is mostly the vendor). hence I am forced to go with third party email clients like k-9 etc. That's what I meant and inorder to have a perfect email experience on Android I will have to use mutiple means unlike a Blackberry which gives a clean way to do right out the box whether it may be yahoo, hotmail, gmail or a corporate email it is completely transparent to the end user. Added to that my k-9 app can't do push on some of my email accounts that I have and hence it pools every 5 minutes.

Lastly I told Android gives a way to select mutiple apps but not as good as in the OS6/OS7 touch screen devices (at-least in my case ), basically in Android inorder to select multiple emails you will have either go via a menu key for that option(k9 email) or make a selection of individual items(checked box) in the inbox(gmail app) but in OS6/OS7 you basically you use two fingers to make a selection (Put finger 1 down on start of selection and hold. Put finger 2 down on the end of the selection to select mutiple items.)
    actually this is standard for all RIM touchscreens back to the storm series on 4.7, its not new to OS 6 or 7. But yes its a different way to select multiple emails over android. I just "tick" each email i want to delete and hit the delete button. It might not suite your way of doing it but it can be easily done.

12-02-11 09:46 AM
    Go Launcher and Launcher Pro (and others) allow for 5 shortcuts on the dock bar, and adds 2 more docks that scrolls left/right which each hold 5 more shortcuts allowing for a total of 15. I use Go Launcher myself and I have 11 different shortcuts since I prefer that no matter which dock I'm on it has both the phone and the app drawer shortcuts.

Example from my device... Same homescreen, three different docks.

buwee likes this.
    12-02-11 10:10 AM
    I understand Android can do everything BB can if you take the time and track down all the apps and ad-ons while in the process opening your personal info to small and shady 3rd party developers. But not even considering that, here is what I don't' understand.

If you hate having to assemble a piece of furniture after you buy it, why do you guys love doing the same with Android software?
    It doesn't make any sense.

Let's face it: There are numerous issues with the Android model of coming out of box "bare bone" and requiring apps to add basic functionality:
    1. Security
    2. Ugly un-uniform UI experience.
    3. Time consuming.

This is what's happening to America vs the rest of the world where Android is not popular: Americans are spending all their time tweaking and finding apps for their android instead of reading and being productive. Another reason why us ugly Americans are getting uglier each day.

This is EXACTLY how I feel after I got my Atrix! I love my BB for email, BBM and the security on it but I like the tinkering & the apps that are available on the Atrix so I too carry both devices around every day. I bought a 4s when it came out and I actually like the Atrix much better in every way other than the camera and the appearance of the 4s.

BTW: does your Atrix get really warm on the back after using it only for a few minutes?
    12-02-11 11:02 AM
    I understand Android can do everything BB can if you take the time and track down all the apps and ad-ons while in the process opening your personal info to small and shady 3rd party developers. But not even considering that, here is what I don't' understand.

If you hate having to assemble a piece of furniture after you buy it, why do you guys love doing the same with Android software?

Let's face it: There are numerous issues with the Android model of coming out of box "bare bone" and requiring apps to add basic functionality:
    1. Security
    3. Time consuming.

This is what's happening to America vs the rest of the world where Android is not popular: Americans are spending all their time tweaking and finding apps for their android instead of reading and being productive. Another reason why us ugly Americans are getting uglier each day.

I think you took a device with which you a few preconceived notions and did not want to bother to see how easy it is to adjust to (which is quite fine; we do this all the time in life with different things).

In my humble experience, I was up and running with my device in under 3 minutes (in all fairness, I use Gmail). I found widgets to be the most intuitive feature. I don't think that if you put both UIs in ball-gowns and parade them down a runway, Android would lose to BlackBerry. I like that I can customize the look. I could make my device a BB clone if I wished.

Android works fine out of the box for quite a few people. All of the people I know with Androids in real life (quite a few ) have, maybe, 10 apps between them.

Security? I won't get into that. Read the forums. I have not downloaded a virus, and I bet you won't either. Stay away from Chinese markets and apps that promise free pics of mammaries, and you should be fine.

RIM makes fine devices, just not nearly as functional for me as -- and I'm dead serious about this -- a business person.

Bottom line? Don't sweat it. use what works.
    12-02-11 11:41 AM
    I've come the other way, from Android to Blackberry

Android is great, battery life and apps not so great

Apps are fine, if you pay, the majoritory of free one's are so add loaded its a pita

Rooting.... fun but becomes problematic... download the wrong or custom rom that configures differently and its a world of pita...

Have gone back to stock in the end.. and its shortly off to be sold

Batterylife... 16 hrs full to flat with no surfing calls or texts!!!!!

the only way to get decent batterylife... 2G no GPS or wifi and sod all else lol

Profiles - Llama (free) was great, worked with cells or gps... took some time to work out but worth it in the end.

So far the Blackberry (paid ) one has failed at the first hurdle, totally missed a timed event... lol

Battery life on the Blackberry is good, with 3 days between charges with wifi on as well

3G off, only because i live in the sticks, and it just hunts otherwise

Keyboard is the best for me. no more bashing glass to end up with gobblydpoods lol

Am i happy....

YES i had a treo 600 when it cam out, i used it sooo much, the ability to connect to the web add an update and keep in touch was great...

the only downside was no data plans in those days lol ...

The blackberry is like having that all over again ..

(just with the app store would improve lol)

Mart
    12-02-11 02:33 PM
    I've come the other way, from Android to Blackberry

Android is great, battery life and apps not so great

Apps are fine, if you pay, the majoritory of free one's are so add loaded its a pita

Rooting.... fun but becomes problematic... download the wrong or custom rom that configures differently and its a world of pita...

Have gone back to stock in the end.. and its shortly off to be sold

Batterylife... 16 hrs full to flat with no surfing calls or texts!!!!!

the only way to get decent batterylife... 2G no GPS or wifi and sod all else lol

Profiles - Llama (free) was great, worked with cells or gps... took some time to work out but worth it in the end.

So far the Blackberry (paid ) one has failed at the first hurdle, totally missed a timed event... lol

Battery life on the Blackberry is good, with 3 days between charges with wifi on as well

3G off, only because i live in the sticks, and it just hunts otherwise

Keyboard is the best for me. no more bashing glass to end up with gobblydpoods lol

Am i happy....

YES i had a treo 600 when it cam out, i used it sooo much, the ability to connect to the web add an update and keep in touch was great...

the only downside was no data plans in those days lol ...

The blackberry is like having that all over again ..

(just with the app store would improve lol)

Mart
    I loved my Treo! Best keyboard for me ever, but I preferred Palm's OS over Windows.
    12-03-11 07:04 AM
    Go Launcher and Launcher Pro (and others) allow for 5 shortcuts on the dock bar, and adds 2 more docks that scrolls left/right which each hold 5 more shortcuts allowing for a total of 15. I use Go Launcher myself and I have 11 different shortcuts since I prefer that no matter which dock I'm on it has both the phone and the app drawer shortcuts.
    And, in Go launcher ex, if you long press on the dock icons, you can also add a swipe action. So each dock icon can essentially have a tap function and a swipe function. On one dock, I can launch 10 applications or folders. It makes it pretty sweet when you can short cut almost everything to your dock.
    12-03-11 11:47 AM

1. Security
    3. Time consuming.

Unproductive for you. In fact, we could say being on this forum is unproductive when we could be learning a new skill, or feeding the hungry, or taking a college class. What's unproductive to you is not unproductive to other people.

I could easily roll out of the box with my Android device. But I just like to switch up the way it looks. It's not really any different than the thousands of Blackberry users that switch themes on their phones.

Why does the security thing keep coming up? Geez. Devices are only as secure as the user. Time consuming? Maybe for you. I let the phone consume as much of my time as I choose. My wife has downloaded very few apps and doesn't tweak her phone at all. On her phone, she reads books, facebooks, and texts. In fact, most don't. We think they do because we're tech enthusiasts that come to sites like this. Very few people that own phones really spend a ton of time messing with them compared to people that do.

I'd say it's not hte phones that are impacting Americans, I'd say it's more linked to hours spent sitting on facebook, playing video games, eating fast food, reading through web sites, watching TV...basically moving less and eating more. Tinkering with a phone is a drop in the bucket compared to what most people spend their time on being 'unproductive.'

What I don't get is if you feel unproductive and frustrated with your Android device, then take it back. You obviously don't like it and are looking for every reason not to like it. Go back to your blackberry where you'll be happy and feel productive. Technology shouldn't create more stress for us. These things are supposed to make our lives easier, not irritate us.
    12-03-11 11:57 AM
    Just to keep the record straight....it's a thing with me.....I've got both devices and I actually I'm using both simultaneously. However.....I feel more productive on my BB. For me, my Atrix is better suited for media and entertainment. My BB works better for me to get things "DONE!"
    Loving both, two separate types of phones which for me have different sets of purposes given their different approaches.
    *If* I had to give one up, it would be the Atrix. I still prefer the BB. But, very different from before when I used to be an Android hater, I find that I like my Atrix just fine.
    I like this post. The key here is for people to find what works best for THEM. I wish everyone would stop bashing blackberrys and Androids and band together and spend all this energy on contacting corporate Apple. Apple is trying to shut down their number one competitors and they'll go right down the list until they're the only kid on the block if they had their way.

Seriously! Trying to ban Samsung devices in general in the US, Australia, and numerous other places. And they've succeeded in some parts. All this is doing is hurting the customer. This is why I say if you buy an Apple product, you are supporting this. Okay, rant off.
    12-03-11 12:22 PM
    Thanks guys, got the 9810 today. Twas just meant to be!
    12-03-11 01:19 PM
    Here's something I posted in another thread:

Android CURRENTLY is the most unsecure OS. Here is the main reason:

Almost ALL android apps can be decompiled and their source code stolen
    -The decompiled apps can be repackaged with viruses/spyware and sent out into the 'wild'

That basically means that a popular application can be repackaged with a virus. Since, there is so much piracy on Android I would expect that repackaged popular app to spread very quickly. There have already been reports from McAfee that this is happening.

No one can say I'm incorrect because I investigated this myself.
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-03-11 at 01:46 PM.
    12-03-11 01:42 PM
    Here's something I posted in another thread:

Android CURRENTLY is the most unsecure OS. Here is the main reason:

Almost ALL android apps can be decompiled and their source code stolen
    -The decompiled apps can be repackaged with viruses/spyware and sent out into the 'wild'

That basically means that a popular application can be repackaged with a virus. Since, there is so much piracy on Android I would expect that repackaged popular app to spread very quickly. There have already been reports from McAfee that this is happening.

No one can say I'm incorrect because I investigated this myself.
    Known information and old news.

It's an open platform. If I choose to go to some black market hacked app download site, and start downloading apps, then I get what I deserve.

If I go start buying prescriptions and medications from some random website instead of my pharmacy, then welllll....
    12-03-11 01:56 PM
    Known information and old news.

It's an open platform. If I choose to go to some black market hacked app download site, and start downloading apps, then I get what I deserve.
    That information is not known by everyone just because you know it. Hopefully the people downloading pirated apps will get many viruses. Also, why would anyone want to develop an application for Android if all their hard work can be stolen? I was going to start developing for Android but after seeing how easily source code be stolen, I am staying away from Android.
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-03-11 at 02:01 PM.
    12-03-11 01:58 PM
    That information is not known by everyone just because you know it. Hopefully the people downloading pirated apps will get many viruses. Also, why would anyone want to develop an application for Android if all their hard work can be stolen? I was going to start developing for Android but after seeing how easily source code be stolen, I am staying away from Android.
    Yes. We should wish ill will on others. Ignorance is ignorance. Some people lack common sense. Some people CHOOSE not to educate themself. I remember this woman that decided to get eye surgery from a "doctor" in a mobile "clinic". Guess what? Her eyesight is jacked up for life. People need to go to a trusted source and not just assume. If they don't, the fault lies on them.

Of course, those nasty viruses can be gotten rid of. I realize I'm a small percentage but of the number of people that I know that own Android phones and of all the apps that have been downloaded (thousands), I have yet to see a virus. And considering I'm on the XDA forum a lot that has over 4 million registered users (over 26,000 online right now), I have yet to see a single thread about someone getting a virus. Of course that doesn't mean there hasn't been one. But that's a lot of Android users that have downloaded a lot of apps.

I'll assume you've never downloaded a pirated apk file only to have it not install or get a message that (paraphrasing) 'you didn't purchase this app, please go to the market and pay for this app if you want it to work'.

I'm just now learning to code so I can start developing so I can't answer for those that do create applications for Android. But there must be something to it with so many active developers.

As an aside, I'm realizing that we're basically bantering about the two most common and redundant things that gets thrown out there when it comes to Android--battery life and security. The OP switched back to Blackberry. Problem solved.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 12-03-11 at 02:22 PM.
    12-03-11 02:20 PM
    Thankfully, other developers have not drawn the same conclusion as you have. It would be a very dreary ecosystem. Funny also, because McAfee does not seem to have a problem posting their apps in the Android Market. I guess the money they are making must help soothe their fears...

Also, if you are concerned about your apps being re-compiled, there is the Amazon alternative... but I'm sure you already know that.
    12-03-11 02:32 PM
    Thankfully, other developers have not drawn the same conclusion as you have. It would be a very dreary ecosystem. Funny also, because McAfee does not seem to have a problem posting their apps in the Android Market. I guess the money they are making must help soothe their fears...

Also, if you are concerned about your apps being re-compiled, there is the Amazon alternative... but I'm sure you already know that.
    Same thing can be done with the "alternative".

Yes. We should wish ill will on others. Ignorance is ignorance. Some people lack common sense. Some people CHOOSE not to educate themself. I remember this woman that decided to get eye surgery from a "doctor" in a mobile "clinic". Guess what? Her eyesight is jacked up for life. People need to go to a trusted source and not just assume. If they don't, the fault lies on them.

Of course, those nasty viruses can be gotten rid of. I realize I'm a small percentage but of the number of people that I know that own Android phones and of all the apps that have been downloaded (thousands), I have yet to see a virus. And considering I'm on the XDA forum a lot that has over 4 million registered users (over 26,000 online right now), I have yet to see a single thread about someone getting a virus. Of course that doesn't mean there hasn't been one. But that's a lot of Android users that have downloaded a lot of apps.

I'll assume you've never downloaded a pirated apk file only to have it not install or get a message that (paraphrasing) 'you didn't purchase this app, please go to the market and pay for this app if you want it to work'.

I'm just now learning to code so I can start developing so I can't answer for those that do create applications for Android. But there must be something to it with so many active developers.

As an aside, I'm realizing that we're basically bantering about the two most common and redundant things that gets thrown out there when it comes to Android--battery life and security. The OP switched back to Blackberry. Problem solved.
    I have downloaded a pirated apk file and installed with no issues. The attacker can remove or disable the LVL from the application.

It's not like I just created the post for nothing. I investigated the platform and everything about it.
    12-03-11 02:36 PM

Ditto, ditto, Ditto.

I spend an inordinate amount of time reviewing apps... it's part of my job. Haven't found a virus, and have not met anyone who has. Not seen a thread at XDA either.

Norton and McAfee do a lot of, uh, Android PSAs. They must be very altruistic...

I have a friend who does marketing for one of the mobile security firms. We laugh about their releases all the time. Yep... he owns an Android device.
    12-03-11 02:37 PM
    I know your laughing now but when it becomes more widepsread then you'll be crying.
    12-03-11 02:38 PM
    Same thing can be done with the "alternative".

So you are saying that I can download an app from the Amazon AppStore, screw it up, and re-post it to the Amazon AppStore for others to download?
    12-03-11 02:40 PM
183 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD