It amazes me how people will rant on something they could have avoided from the get go. All it would have took is reading some reviews or descriptions and you could have had your precious time back Smakberry.

Obviously Andriod isn't for you. Honestly surprised you get around on the Berry okay.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-29-11 12:09 AM
    It amazes me how people will rant on something they could have avoided from the get go. All it would have took is reading some reviews or descriptions and you could have had your precious time back Smakberry.

Obviously Andriod isn't for you. Honestly surprised you get around on the Berry okay.
    What?!?!?! I wasn't ranting. I stated what I liked and what i didn't like. FAR from a rant. I chose this device because I wanted to see what it was like.... I'm still using it and loving it actually. Like I did said before, I don't know what one I'm going to keep.

Tell me how well you got around with the berry when you first picked it up!
    11-29-11 12:19 AM
    Yes, but with the way Android works, I can search EVERY email I have ever received, not just local emails. Space saving feature... I love IMAP mirroring.

And the cool thing is that if you want it to keep the email locally, you can do just that.

Choice...
    BlackBerry can do remote server searches. Achieves basically the same goal.
    11-29-11 02:54 AM
    I was the biggest Android hater in the universe. I actually said I hated Android and detested Android users. I said that if the last platform standing was an Android I would resort back to using a dumbphone.

Well, this Android hater is now a BB AND Android lover. Here is how it happened....

It's been said many times, but the penny had to drop for me....Android phones are almost blank slates upon which you build the phone you like. There are hundreds of free apps for *almost* all the features I love in my BB.

My opinion after finally *getting* what Android is about, is that it is a great platform for tinkerers. If you want to invest the time to tinker with the device you will get it almost like a BB. Sadly, because of the unavailability of apps, the same cannot be said about my 9930. By that I don't mean a media powerhouse; obviously that is not the intent of the BB platform. What I mean is that, for example, I cannot find an app for the DC Circulator bus on BB....yet both iOS and Android have one. Not entertainment apps, but useful daily life apps. I sooo want a DC Circulator app for my BB!!!!!

Understand this, I am a BB lover first and foremost. I love BBerries. Oooooone after the other. But just like I can love the different personality of my golden retriever as opposed to my border collie I can love the different approaches between Android and BB. If I had to choose one I would choose a BB. But I have come to love using my Atrix.

By the way, I also love how in the BB you can see the difference between "new" email and "unread."

Also for the record, I do not trust Google to be a secure platform. *If* I could trust it I would pull my my most negative assertion about the Android platform. It is a security nightmare. I know, I know.....some don't care about that. But I do. Therefore I prefer BB over Android. I am a BB fan and I'm willing to admits its flaws.....I am a fan, less of one but a fan nonetheless, of the Android platform and I must admit that security is not at all Android's strong suit. Reality is what it is.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 11-29-11 at 03:45 AM.
    11-29-11 03:28 AM
    My opinion after finally *getting* what Android is about, is that it is a great platform for tinkerers.

Probably explains in part why I like BlackBerrys. I am not really a tinkerer even though I am a techie. Lol. My days are so busy; I am always jumping from thing to thing and have come to like the raw efficiency of just using things "out of the box" so to speak. That is, all my Windows PCs tend to use stock themes and layouts, etc. Same thing with Linux. Same thing with phones. Boring I suppose. Just never cared to customize things all that much.

If I ever did use Android I would be more likely to change my habits to fit "how it works" vs trying to make it into something familiar.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-29-11 03:52 AM
    Probably explains in part why I like BlackBerrys. I am not really a tinkerer even though I am a techie. Lol. My days are so busy; I am always jumping from thing to thing and have come to like the raw efficiency of just using things "out of the box" so to speak. That is, all my Windows PCs tend to use stock themes and layouts, etc. Same thing with Linux. Same thing with phones. Boring I suppose. Just never cared to customize things all that much.

If I ever did use Android I would be more likely to change my habits to fit "how it works" vs trying to make it into something familiar.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I like to tinker with the settings on my BB but I hate having to install and run apps for things the phone is already capable of, you just need the app to dig it out. For this reason I would hate to change from a BB to Android, would probably different if I would have an Android first and I wouldn't know about BB's extensive settings.
    11-29-11 06:50 AM
    For me, the draw it the potential. I remember getting a BB and grousing about how it did not do things like Palm (for instance, I thought DM was too bare-boned). It took a while to figure out "different" doesn't always mean "inferior."

When I switched, I wanted everything to be the EXACT way it was on my BB, and I made it that way. For example, I set up a combined mailbox, got a widget that dumped all messages and such into one folder, polled email, etc. The concept of IMAP was not something I wanted (even though BB offered that, IIRC). Now? I truly could not manage without IMAP and mailbox mirroring.

Again, Gmail just works for me because all my 4 main accounts, including work, are Google-based.

Again, not trying to change minds; just adding a bit of perspective. I tend to be very black and white when it comes to productivity. I love extras, but I have to be able to get things done quickly and efficiently on the go, and that is what I base platform decisions on.
    11-29-11 07:11 AM
    I wish I could write just how much of a BIG mistake it is to go to such an unsecure OS as android but wouldnt want and dont need the ignorant comments from droid lovers. So i will just give you a very good article to read. I myself have a HTC INC 2 and BB BOLD 9930 and i can assure you it is VERY foolish to part with my BB for a droid. So here it is enjoy your reading and keep in mind if you have a droid and trully use it as a smartphone, chances are YOU WILL BE HACKED! but hey its a droid and who uses blackberry anymore right? OK like we say in the ARMY "JODY IS IN YOUR HOUSE" haha!

Android Market free-for-all blamed for malware avalanche • The Register
    11-29-11 07:45 AM
    Tried Android Before, But The battery Is One problem For me.. so I sold My Android Device and Back to My 9780...

Android, Is Not better than BB
    "that what I say"

Okay...

Your wish is our command. Android is bad!

LOL.
    11-29-11 07:48 AM
    the battery issue is one of many hardware issues when comparing to blackberry. You wait till you get to the software and you would be crying on the flaws. But hey its a droid and it can do so much more than blackberry! ok and I have a rare 3 dollar bill worth allot of money also!
    11-29-11 08:11 AM
    Anyone who makes empirical statements like "x is better than y" does not, IMHO, understand the personal nature of technology. What works for me may not work for you.

Adopting technology is about trade-offs. Could I deal with a BB again and get "better" battery life? Yep. Would I be less productive. Yes. That is where I pick one or another... I pick 12-14 hours of raw productivity.
    11-29-11 08:30 AM
    dp... my apologies.
    11-29-11 08:32 AM
    I recently tried Android for a week, and mostly liked it. But I ended up returning it because of the battery life and the slowness of touchscreen text entry. I tried a lot of keyboards and found that TouchPal worked best for me, but still didn't come close to what I could do on my 9780. This is because the way I use auto-text give me a lot of speed beyond ordinary thumb-typing. I tried SmartKey with auto-text on the Android, and although the auto-text was nice, it was still very clumsy. Since text entry is a big part of what I do with my phone, I'm unwilling to settle for less than the best, and for me the best is still BB.

That said, I really do like the app-centric way of customizing Android devices. The very fact that I could try out so many different keyboards, each with different advantages and disadvantages, is a very Good Thing, in my opinion. The availability of various email clients in Android is also a strength. The BB has LogicMail as the only alternative to its built-in email. Granted, the built-in email is just what a lot of people want, but I'm pretty sure there are some who would welcome alternatives.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-29-11 09:23 AM
    I wish I could write just how much of a BIG mistake it is to go to such an unsecure OS as android but wouldnt want and dont need the ignorant comments from droid lovers. So i will just give you a very good article to read. I myself have a HTC INC 2 and BB BOLD 9930 and i can assure you it is VERY foolish to part with my BB for a droid. So here it is enjoy your reading and keep in mind if you have a droid and trully use it as a smartphone, chances are YOU WILL BE HACKED! but hey its a droid and who uses blackberry anymore right? OK like we say in the ARMY "JODY IS IN YOUR HOUSE" haha!

Android Market free-for-all blamed for malware avalanche • The Register
    Ignorent comments? Really? So anybody who doesn't have the same views as you is ignorant? I guess me using my Android as a smartphone for a year now without being hacked..i guess I must be lucky eh Oh wait..that's right. The hackers have hacked me and I have no idea.

Thanks for your link..but you can't believe everything you read amirite?

Beware the software security scare silly season • The Register
    11-29-11 09:24 AM
    I have had 3 different smartphones as my main device in the last 5 months, a BB, a Droid, and an iPhone. I can tell you that there are differences between them in use, quirks, etc. I will even concede that some things are more efficient on one versus the other, but not by wide margins in most areas.

However, I have been able to configure each to be quite efficient as a communication device and can operate with any of the three very effectively. I also consider myself a former BB expert and I knew most of the shortcuts and accelerator keys. As stated, there are differences between a device with a keyboard and without, and in some cases it makes the keyboard shortcuts faster. However, if you claim any of these devices are not efficient or poor communications devices, you are most likely ignorant, impatient or both. One may take more work to setup than the other, but you can do almost anything on one you can the other.

The old arguments about push email, etc are gone. I am not saying one device may not fit your desires, needs and current knowledge better than the other. I am saying you probably know less than you need to properly assess one versus the other, period. Two days on a phone is not nearly enough. I hated my BB the first two weeks until I figured out where to learn about it, then I loved it. I still like some things better about it.

Not all devices are created equal in all areas. You have to choose wisely and try hard not to generalize or project your ignorance or preformed opinions on others. I had great experiences with all three. I get my messages and emails just as fast on all three, and respond at the same speed, within a fair margin. Lastly, attachments are a big part of my communications, and it is an area where a big screen really comes in handy. Sometimes I wish I had a keyboard, but very rarely.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-29-11 10:11 AM
    Coming from an Android phone and the iPad I can totally see your points. I liked my OG Droid, but I remember even after buying it, that I was already ready for something new. This has not been the case with my 9930. Personally I just got fed up with the amount of Android phones that the companies are launching, android fans call it "choice", I call it absurd, but really to each their own.

For today I am very happy to be back with RIM. Will I change in the future? You betcha, I am tech geek and love experimenting with new gadgets. But so far I have returned to RIM only, never ventured back to any of the other platforms. So who knows I may not leave RIM again. Now if only my PB would get here!!! Come on RIM SHIP SHIP SHIP!!!! (I ordered my PB directly from RIM).
    11-29-11 10:38 AM
    So here is my original post about switching to android:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...7/index87.html

Well after 2 days with the att Galaxy S2 I can say for sure Android is no match for bb as a communication device. Yes, the S2 is a media powerhouse with Flash-- and it record 1080p for god sakes, but it's so damn clumsy to make a call, type a sms, check email... There are other issues with Android as well:

-No Sound Profiles: WTF, this is so stupid, I can either have ringer or vibrate, but to completely mute I need to go into settings which is 10 taps away. And why is there a stupid vibrate task symbol when I set it to ring and vibrate.

-No LED indicator

-No bedside mod. As advanced as it is, it expects me to switch to silent every time I go to bed?

-Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy... takes me twice the amount of time to push out a sms.

Finally...email is no where near instant. Even with the Gmail app which is suppose to be push... Push my ***.

Of course, its got advantages over BB but for me I think I'm going back. Will just suck it up and get the white 9810.
    I can understand what you're saying. That's the main reason I've never left Blackberry. I'm staying with Blackberry until the wheels fall off.
    11-29-11 11:33 AM
    I have had 3 different smartphones as my main device in the last 5 months, a BB, a Droid, and an iPhone. I can tell you that there are differences between them in use, quirks, etc. I will even concede that some things are more efficient on one versus the other, but not by wide margins in most areas.

However, I have been able to configure each to be quite efficient as a communication device and can operate with any of the three very effectively. I also consider myself a former BB expert and I knew most of the shortcuts and accelerator keys. As stated, there are differences between a device with a keyboard and without, and in some cases it makes the keyboard shortcuts faster. However, if you claim any of these devices are not efficient or poor communications devices, you are most likely ignorant, impatient or both. One may take more work to setup than the other, but you can do almost anything on one you can the other.

The old arguments about push email, etc are gone. I am not saying one device may not fit your desires, needs and current knowledge better than the other. I am saying you probably know less than you need to properly assess one versus the other, period. Two days on a phone is not nearly enough. I hated my BB the first two weeks until I figured out where to learn about it, then I loved it. I still like some things better about it.

Not all devices are created equal in all areas. You have to choose wisely and try hard not to generalize or project your ignorance or preformed opinions on others. I had great experiences with all three. I get my messages and emails just as fast on all three, and respond at the same speed, within a fair margin. Lastly, attachments are a big part of my communications, and it is an area where a big screen really comes in handy. Sometimes I wish I had a keyboard, but very rarely.
    Well said.

Nothing wrong with one not wanting to adjust if one doesn't have to, but I do think one should know the options available before assuming it can't be done. Most of the time, when users (self included) gripe about stuff not being available on Android, it is most likely due to not taking the time to find out how it works.

I actually believe that there is nothing that I could do on BB that I cannot do as well or significantly better on Android. The battery argument is becoming less of an issue too, and more folks are willing to try virtual keyboards (and there are sliders and pk Android devices out as well).

Again... this illustrates my needs. YMMV.
    11-29-11 11:45 AM
    Ok guys, gonna give it two weeks and I'll report back. I'm still hesitant to do this: 1. I'm biased 2. Don't like using something for 2 weeks and returning it to the store.
    11-29-11 01:13 PM
    Well said.

Nothing wrong with one not wanting to adjust if one doesn't have to, but I do think one should know the options available before assuming it can't be done. Most of the time, when users (self included) gripe about stuff not being available on Android, it is most likely due to not taking the time to find out how it works.

I actually believe that there is nothing that I could do on BB that I cannot do as well or significantly better on Android. The battery argument is becoming less of an issue too, and more folks are willing to try virtual keyboards (and there are sliders and pk Android devices out as well).

Again... this illustrates my needs. YMMV.
    Quick access to apps, speed dial and functions is something blackberry will always do better: 24 speed dials, 18 keyboard shortcuts and 18 apps on screen, all accesibile from home screen.

I doubt even the largest Android phones can fit that much on the screen for one move access.
    11-29-11 01:41 PM
    No android or iphone has pushed email. The phone has to ask the server if there is email and grabs the email. BB is the only service that tells the phone there is new mail on the server. Stop trying to make android sound good cuz it has its fair share of problems.
    Erm...on my Android and iPhone, if I am sent an email it shows up on my phone before I can see it in my gmail or hotmail inbox, so respectfully you have no idea what you are talking about. It's set to push, and it's push.

**** - I added my gmail to a co-workers BB just to demonstrate that there is, in fact, push on a non BB device and I got the mail on my iphone about 3 seconds before they did on their BB.

Stop trying to make android sound bad when you don't have recent experience with one other than using it at a store. Live with one for over a year - then we'll talk.
    11-29-11 02:36 PM
    How do you know you have push email, is it a fee service with your carrier

Give us examples!
    Google is your friend:

Push email - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mobile users

Although push email had existed in wired-based systems for many years, one of the first uses of the system with a portable, "always on" wireless device outside of Asia was the BlackBerry service from Research In Motion. In Japan, "push email" has been standard in cell phones since 2000.[citation needed]

[edit] Apple iPhone and iPod Touch

Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch support Yahoo! push email, Hotmail push email (activated through the Dinsdale Panel), Gmail push email (via Google Sync) and Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync platform, allowing them to synchronize email, calendars and contacts with a Microsoft Exchange Server, Zimbra, NuevaSync or Kerio Connect.[1] Apple's own MobileMe subscription-service, now known as the iCloud offers support for push email, contacts, and calendars.[2]

Google Android

Android's built-in Gmail client uses Google Sync to push email for Gmail accounts set up to sync with the phone. Android also supports Microsoft Exchange accounts natively through its default mail application. Emails arriving into the Microsoft Exchange inbox are instantly pushed to the device. Calendar events sync both ways between exchange and the device.

Yahoo email is not pushed to an android device. An alternate to lack of native support for yahoo mail is to install the free yahoo mail app which provides instant push email.

Recently also Hotmail has been made push configurable for Android smartphones through the default mail application.[4]

K-9 Mail, a third-party application for Android, provides IMAP IDLE support.[5]
    11-29-11 02:45 PM
    No android or iphone has pushed email. The phone has to ask the server if there is email and grabs the email. BB is the only service that tells the phone there is new mail on the server. Stop trying to make android sound good cuz it has its fair share of problems.

Ahhhhhh WRONG ANSWER...Tell him what he's won Johnny. A free video for you:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnyA2bBbsm0[/YT]
    11-29-11 02:45 PM
    Erm...on my Android and iPhone, if I am sent an email it shows up on my phone before I can see it in my gmail or hotmail inbox, so respectfully you have no idea what you are talking about. It's set to push, and it's push.

**** - I added my gmail to a co-workers BB just to demonstrate that there is, in fact, push on a non BB device and I got the mail on my iphone about 3 seconds before they did on their BB.

Stop trying to make android sound bad when you don't have recent experience with one other than using it at a store. Live with one for over a year - then we'll talk.
    Quick to show off with gmail but what about those millions of hosted email accounts without exchange?

Android and Iphone have no push for those, go and buy the oldest Blackberry you can, in my case the 7230 for �5 on ebay, and even that would have push for them.
    11-29-11 02:47 PM
    Here's what you left out:

"IMAP in fact allows many notifications to be sent at any time, but not message data. The IDLE command is often used to signal the ability of a client to process notifications sent outside of a command running, which effectively provides a user experience identical to push."

Just because the email is instant it doesn't make it PUSH, you are confusing push email with instant email.
    11-29-11 03:02 PM
183 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD