So here is my original post about switching to android:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...7/index87.html

Well after 2 days with the att Galaxy S2 I can say for sure Android is no match for bb as a communication device. Yes, the S2 is a media powerhouse with Flash-- and it record 1080p for god sakes, but it's so damn clumsy to make a call, type a sms, check email... There are other issues with Android as well:

-No Sound Profiles: WTF, this is so stupid, I can either have ringer or vibrate, but to completely mute I need to go into settings which is 10 taps away. And why is there a stupid vibrate task symbol when I set it to ring and vibrate.

-No LED indicator

-No bedside mod. As advanced as it is, it expects me to switch to silent every time I go to bed?

-Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy... takes me twice the amount of time to push out a sms.

Finally...email is no where near instant. Even with the Gmail app which is suppose to be push... Push my ***.

Of course, its got advantages over BB but for me I think I'm going back. Will just suck it up and get the white 9810.
    Just to get both sides of the story, post the same thing here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/

Let me know if you feel any better about your purchase then.
    11-27-11 07:38 PM
    Look, they are different devices and whatever the case is, they are different. BB is unbeatable with comms and android is unbeatable with media
    11-27-11 08:10 PM
    My Atrix was an acquired taste. It took me a very long time to acquire a taste for it, but now that I have, it's quite yummy.
    I love using it alongside my BB. But I would not give up my BB for it. I love my BB more.
    11-27-11 08:16 PM
    you using the atrix everyday again now Q?
    11-27-11 08:19 PM

All BBs have LEDs, but none have Skype....
    My 9930 has Skype.
    11-27-11 08:29 PM
    you using the atrix everyday again now Q?
    Yes!!!
    Finally figured out how to have the best of both worlds AND how to make the Atrix last the whole day.

Happy Lil!!!!

But....it's been a long road, love!
    11-27-11 08:31 PM
    My 9930 has Skype.
    Videochat, sweetie!

How have you been anyway? Getting enough rest?
    11-27-11 08:35 PM
    Videochat, sweetie!

How have you been anyway? Getting enough rest?
    Much as I can, with a wee tyrant hollerin' every four hours!!!
    11-27-11 08:38 PM
    Whiskey, Makes mommy happy, makes baby sleep 8 hours
    11-27-11 08:41 PM
    Oh, my bad... I thought the baby was still incubatin'... didn't know you had the baby. How did I miss that!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All hail the new tyrant!
    11-27-11 08:43 PM
    Yes!!!
    Finally figured out how to have the best of both worlds AND how to make the Atrix last the whole day.

Happy Lil!!!!

But....it's been a long road, love!
    awesome, im glad to hear you got it working to your liking. Hope all is well with the family too
    11-27-11 08:45 PM
    After a whole work day with the Android. I'm done with it. It's absolutely lacking as a comm. device.

I'm never one to say one OS is BETTER than another, it's simply which one does what better. And here is my thought:

Android (Galaxy s2) is absolutely a media power house. The device is a mobile media machine first, comm. device second.

Blackberry is comm. device first, and trying to be a media device.

2 completely different systems. You can tell an OS is still in it's infant stages of development as a phone when the developers completely miss the point of having AT LEAST 3 separate sound profiles: Ring, vibrate, silent-- not being able to do that out of the box says a lot about the device as a phone. AND diving deeper into using the phone, it's confirmed.

I'm scared to type up emails to my co-workers because of the touchscreen keyboard and it's clumsy as ****. If I had 10 minutes to tap through all the steps for every email I send, then maybe it's ok, but I don't have that kind of time. As for push mail, the native email withe the GS2 is NOT push, I need to set the pull (check) timer, I can set it to 5 min, but what about battery life? However the Gmail app is essentially push but again, the developers failed. I need to know how many unread and how man new&unread I have from the task bar.--nope, task bar doesn't give it. Even the icon doesn't give it. Heck the App icon doesn't even tell you if you have a new email. FAIL FAIL FAIL. This is so typical of Silicon Valley developers, they are so tied up in the "cool" and "cutting edge" features that they miss the most needed and simplest of ideas- some goddamn common sense. You can teach all the smarts into a google dev. type, but you can never endow them with intuition and insight.
    Android is not for me. What a waste of time, the Android experience has been...
    Last edited by ThePoisonBerry; 11-28-11 at 05:24 PM.
    11-28-11 05:14 PM
    Android (Galaxy s2) is absolutely a media power house. The device is a mobile media machine first, comm. device second.

And therein lies the reason why people make the choices they do. Those who want big screen touchscreens inevitably put multimedia first and other things second. While those who chose physical qwerty keyboards put Communication device first multimedia second (if at all).
    11-28-11 05:23 PM
    and it's way more than the keyboard, the OS is oriented towards comm. Android with a keyboard still fails as a comm device--I still need 30 taps to pump out an email and 20 taps to call someone.
    11-28-11 05:30 PM
    After a whole work day with the Android. I'm done with it. It's absolutely lacking as a comm. device.

I'm never one to say one OS is BETTER than another, it's simply which one does what better. And here is my thought:

2 completely different systems. You can tell an OS is still in it's infant stages of development as a phone when the developers completely miss the point of having AT LEAST 3 separate sound profiles: Ring, vibrate, silent-- not being able to do that out of the box says a lot about the device as a phone. AND diving deeper into using the phone, it's confirmed.

I'm scared to type up emails to my co-workers because of the touchscreen keyboard and it's clumsy as ****. If I had 10 minutes to tap through all the steps for every email I send, then maybe it's ok, but I don't have that kind of time. As for push mail, the native email withe the GS2 is NOT push, I need to set the pull (check) timer, I can set it to 5 min, but what about battery life? However the Gmail app is essentially push but again, the developers failed. I need to know how many unread and how man new&unread I have from the task bar.--nope, task bar doesn't give it. Even the icon doesn't give it. Heck the App icon doesn't even tell you if you have a new email. FAIL FAIL FAIL. This is so typical of Silicon Valley developers, they are so tied up in the "cool" and "cutting edge" features that they miss the most needed and simplest of ideas- some goddamn common sense. You can teach all the smarts into a google dev. type, but you can never endow them with intuition and insight.
    Android is not for me. What a waste of time, the Android experience has been...
    Not trying to change your mind, but if you want a counter, it is available.

Nothing wrong with using the platform that works for you. Some people can use touchscreens, some can't. It took a while for me to figure it out. I find Android to be light years ahead of BB in email management, but then again, all my email accounts are Google/Google Apps-based.

I still hold that I am way more productive on Android than I ever could be on BB, but I am smart enough to know that it won't be the same for everyone.
    11-28-11 05:33 PM
    Have you tried Launcher Prro? It has the message number indicators.

Also, to call someone you have choices.

Tap Phone
    Press speed dial

Or you can add a contact widget to your screens.
    11-28-11 05:35 PM
    I loved my BlackBerry for a very long time...and IF any of my, THREE 9930's worked PAST 1 month, I'm sure I would still be a BB user. I understand the need for an all in one smartphone for media AND communication for business people but I guess one does not exist...although my gmail is very quick on my Droid...but I'm not a business person (or employed for that matter)...Androidd is the better platform for me...as for the keyboard???...I use the compact one because I loved SureType...or I just SPEAK my text...I got typewriter sounds so I enjoy typing...so it comes down to needs I guess...well that my 2� <---note the cents symbol!!??...NO SPECIAL APP FOR THAT!!!���������������
    11-28-11 05:39 PM
    and it's way more than the keyboard, the OS is oriented towards comm. Android with a keyboard still fails as a comm device--I still need 30 taps to pump out an email and 20 taps to call someone.
    You forgot to add the all important qualifier: FOR YOU. I think Android trumps BB as a communication device, but I concede that if you cannot type on a touchscreen, it is a moot point.

For the record, I hate sliders. For all that, I'd stick with a QWERTY. I type faster on a touchscreen. I can call via voice or in two clicks, so you must have a different device that most Android users. .

I would never have made the switch if, in my estimation, it was not a better at business oriented functions. Again, that is just for me though.

And yes, I wish battery life was better. I get about 12-14 hours on a full charge.
    11-28-11 05:41 PM
    Have you tried Launcher Prro? It has the message number indicators.

Also, to call someone you have choices.

Tap Phone
    Press speed dial

Or you can add a contact widget to your screens.
    Yep... as is shown in my screen capture above.

And Chrisy is right again... calling doesn't get any easier. you can make it such that you can call any specific contact from any of your home screens. If you really want to, you can make calling a one-touch action from lockscreen.
    11-28-11 05:46 PM
    If you took you 30 taps for an email and 20 for a phone call..then you must be severly technologically handi-capped. It's these types of comments that spread disinformation and do nothing but spark flame wars. I'll try to stay away from that..but I can make a phone call in 2 taps (or 1 swipe and 1 tap), and an email in 2 taps. Just because you can't figure out how to operate anything beyond a BB doesn't mean it's inferior as a communication device. I have multiple ring tones, mutliple LED alerts, Profiles etc..
    tack likes this.
    11-28-11 07:01 PM
    I need to know how many unread and how man new&unread I have from the task bar.--nope, task bar doesn't give it. Even the icon doesn't give it.
    How does a new email and a new & unread email differ? If you have an unread email (and thus new), it displays in the notification bar..in plain site. If you have multiple unread (and thus new) emails, it tells you exactly how many you have. How can this be made simpler? By putting that very same icon on the bottom tray?

If you wanted a media capable device that acted exactly like a BB (without putting in any effort to make it happen), then in 6-8 months you might get it when BBx is released.
    11-28-11 07:08 PM
    Yes exaggeration but here, to dial a recently dialed number:
    BB: four digit code>enter>Green key>scroll>Green key(call)
    Android: power button> four digit code>enter>Phone app>call log tab>scroll>swipe call (call)
    That's 40% more effort to make that call.

Speed dial:
    BB: 4 digit code>enter>hold 2 (call)
    Android: Power button>4 digit code>enter>phone app>hold 2 (call)
    That's 66% more effort

There is a difference between unread and unread&new. I don't like to open emails that I don't want to respond right away so it's important to know I have seen it but have not opened it. On a BB, the red* denotes this. If a message is new and you have not seen it then it's a gold envelop with a red * but if you have seen it but not open it (meaning you will get to it later), then the red * disappears. It's little things like this that really makes the difference.
    11-28-11 08:01 PM
    what you mention are differences between having a keyboard and a touch screen.
    Rickroller and tack like this.
    11-28-11 08:08 PM
    Yes exaggeration but here, to dial a recently dialed number:
    BB: four digit code>enter>Green key>scroll>Green key(call)
    Android: power button> four digit code>enter>Phone app>call log tab>scroll>swipe call (call)
    That's 40% more effort to make that call.

Speed dial:
    BB: 4 digit code>enter>hold 2 (call)
    Android: Power button>4 digit code>enter>phone app>hold 2 (call)
    That's 66% more effort
    1 extra step equates to 50% more effort. If that is a deal breaker..then so be it.

There is a difference between unread and unread&new. I don't like to open emails that I don't want to respond right away so it's important to know I have seen it but have not opened it. On a BB, the red* denotes this. If a message is new and you have not seen it then it's a gold envelop with a red * but if you have seen it but not open it (meaning you will get to it later), then the red * disappears. It's little things like this that really makes the difference.
    With gmail..I get a notification for a new email(s). I open the app (with 1 swipe) and can tell whether I want to open or not. The fact I went into gmail clears the notifications..so next time an email come ins..I again can tell its new..and choose to open it or not. As well..if its just one email..I can see right from my notification bar whether I want to even bother with it or not..and clear it right from there.

You had a wall of text rant of complaints..but just because something is done differently doesn't mean its less efficient. It might be to you but it also might be more to others.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-28-11 at 08:51 PM.
    11-28-11 08:49 PM
    A lot of this sounds like not knowing how to properly set up an Android phone for functionality that the user needs it. I could also make it difficult on a blackberry or iPhone or WP or whatever.

Here's a pic of my current screen.

Up top I have a pulldown notification bar, I can pull it down if it shows I have an email or text. I click on it and it takes me directly to my unread email or text. Or I can just click on the phone icon or text icon to take directly to my contacts/phone or text apps. That top greyed set of four icons is actually a widget that is my contact manager. Clicking on any of the icons takes me my contacts manager where in one more click I can get to either my grouped contacts, my dialer contacts, my favorite contacts, or my sms. That's two clicks to get to where I need for dialing or texting.

Under that I have 3 larger app icons that lead me to my book marks, the net, and the market.

Under that I have four folders where I have all my social/contacts (facebook, Linkedin, emails, Google plus, Tango, etc) So one click to open the folder and one click to go to whatever of those apps I need. I tested my exchange and my gmail. I had gmail email at my phone in five seconds and my exchange in six seconds.

The next folder has all my media such as Pandora, mp3 download, soundhound, google music, etc

The next folder has all my games.

The next folder has tools I frequently use like apps2sd, calculator, camscanner, etc

Below that is my volume manager widget in which I can with one click open any arrangement of mute, vibrate, noise level, notification level, etc. In addition I can click my volume rocker till it hits vibrate and from there a preference box will open and I can change what I need.

And of course there's always Vlingo in which I can either set Vlingo to start by voice and launch anything with voice or click on Vlingo to open and launch anything by voice. So I can say "text Mindy. Message blah blah blah blah Send" And it's gone.

Here's one more example of my last screen. The very bottom text icons are are set in what's called a dock. Each one has a click action and a swipe action. From here I can launch up to 10 apps, shortcuts, folders, etc. The three larger icons in the middle lauched folders like my previous screen. then there's the powerbar that controlled a bunch of stuff from rotating the screen to launching a flashlight (or setting an LED notification setup), etc

The OP got an a completely different platform that what he was used to. When you move to a new platform it takes a bit of time to get used to it. It took me a bit of time to get used to a touchscreen. I pulled out my 9700 not too long ago and had a hard time typing on a physical keyboard. After using a touch screen, I can type or swipe out texts and emails much faster than on a physical keyboard.

For my email applications, I have unread messages in a different shade than read messages. It's easy to distinguish between the two. My lockscreen is a simple swipe to open up my phone. Or using Magiclocker lock screen, I have short cuts setup. So power bar, swipe to email, sms, camera, or phone shortcut.

For those of you with Android phones that are having a hard time getting the ultimate in customization and functionality that YOU need, head over to the XDA forums where they have subforums and will answer any questions you have about your particular phone. And, hey, if you don't like the phone you have, exchange it for something else. Regardless of what phone you have, you can make it as easy or as complicated as you like. If you're going to change platforms, I think it takes more than a week or so to really get things setup. I remember on my blackberry, I was still learning tricks and tweaks weeks and months later.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 11-28-11 at 10:25 PM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-28-11 10:20 PM
183 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD