Not true at all. Both Android and iPhone have push email.

I much prefer email on an Android. I used gMail and had push, embedded images, auto HTML email and no truncation. Far superior than BlackBerry. Not to mention access to all labels.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Do you know what push email is

...email comes to RIM servers and is pushed to your BB right away...or the other way when the user can pick any service and the app checks to see if you have email...

Apple has their cloud service and they're pushing...Android is an OS and Samsung/HTC/Motorola etc. only make the phone...where are Android OS phones getting push services?
    11-27-11 01:43 PM

...email comes to RIM servers and is pushed to your BB right away...or the other way when the user can pick any service and the app checks to see if you have email...

Apple has their cloud service and they're pushing...Android is an OS and Samsung/HTC/Motorola etc. only make the phone...where are Android OS phones getting push services?
    anthogag, chrisy is absolutely correct. Apple email has had push for 3+ years, IIRC, certainly long before iCloud existed, and Gmail as of 2009.

Gmail, which is the service used on the Android phone in question, is served by Google.
    Last edited by TGR1; 11-27-11 at 01:51 PM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-27-11 01:49 PM
    They do have push email, and yes, that means no server polling.

If we are going to talk about problems, then blackberry has its fair share too.

Do people seriously expect no arguments against when throwing out lies and fantasy?

How do you know you have push email, is it a fee service with your carrier

Give us examples!
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-27-11 at 01:53 PM.
    11-27-11 01:49 PM
    How do you know you have push email, is it a fee service with your carrier

Give us examples!
    I know there is one reality for you and that is push email can only be served by the carrier or one company, but sorry, that reality is not true.

Gmail offers push email through their own servers with full support for labels and ability to sync past emails. Hotmail also provides push email through their own servers using exchange although it integrates directly with the native email app, and then there is microsoft eas for companies/individuals. Yahoo mail provides push email through their own servers and their own app (free of course) which also provides synchronization with email folders.

So now you know, that there is not just one entity that can allow push email.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-27-11 at 02:09 PM.
    11-27-11 02:06 PM
    LOL... wow.

What is so surprising about non-RIM entities being able to provide push? It's old news.
    11-27-11 02:13 PM
    I have a Droid 3 that I've configured to be as much like my BB as possible. I have LightFlow to do what BerryBuzz did (custom LED colors for various notifications), an app for sound profiles, an app to assign ringtones, etc. Heck, I even have the BB OS6 ringtones on my phone and use Zen Spirit.

You know what I miss that can't be mimicked? The form factor. The Droid 3 is nice, but it's super heavy compared to the 9650. Also, the slider keyboard is excellent, but the portrait keyboard on the BB was a bit more comfortable for me. So I have Bold-envy right now. I'm gonna hold out until the new BBX phones come out next year (I think I can...), but I'd go back now if I didn't have so much money (i.e., lots of accessories and my VZW upgrade) "invested" in the D3.

I just ordered a 16GB Playbook direct from RIM, though, so I'm really, really (!!) tempted to get a 9930 or a 9650 to bridge it with.

Having said all that, Android is NOT a bad OS. Browsing is excellent, and the hardware on the D3 - heavy though it is - is pretty first rate. The HDMI out is a nice feature, free Google Navigation is excellent, and so on.

I guess everything has it's pluses/minuses, but after many months of Android, I still find BB the most appealing of the platforms in terms of hardware, look/feel of the OS, etc.
    That's actually why I switched back. My HTC Thunderolt was just too big.

I loved all the functions of the device, the browser, calendar, widgets, google services and push email.

But, I found I was leaving it in the car and at home because it was too big!

If you really want to switch back to BlackBerry you should considering trading your Android for a BlackBerry. I did just that on here. Got a 9650 and some cash too!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-27-11 at 02:21 PM.
    11-27-11 02:18 PM
    LOL. People still think only BlackBerry has push email! Talk about living under a rock. Wow.
    11-27-11 02:19 PM
    I know there is one reality for you and that is push email can only be served by the carrier or one company, but sorry, that reality is not true.

Gmail offers push email through their own servers with full support for labels and ability to sync past emails. Hotmail also provides push email through their own servers using exchange although it integrates directly with the native email app, and then there is microsoft eas for companies/individuals. Yahoo mail provides push email through their own servers and their own app (free of course) which also provides synchronization with email folders.

lies its all lies! lmao
    aNYthing24 likes this.
    11-27-11 02:22 PM

Have you never heard of Exchange? Hotmail and Gmail are push on EVERY platform when set up as exchange (not to mention anything else running through exchange). And no, you don't need an exchange account, MS and Google have it set up on their side.

All my Calendar, Emails and Contacts sync and push instantly just like they did on a BB (besides contacts and calendars because BIS only handled my email).
    11-27-11 02:26 PM

You are trolling. Please stop making any sort of sense at all.
    11-27-11 02:27 PM
    Not true at all. Both Android and iPhone have push email.

I much prefer email on an Android. I used gMail and had push, embedded images, auto HTML email and no truncation. Far superior than BlackBerry. Not to mention access to all labels.

Your BB gives you access to all gmail lables and older emails too Chrisy, you just need to learn how to do it .

Android and iphone don't have push for non exchange hosted email accounts, blackberry has push for any email account.

Exchange push and others still need a periodic ping from the phone to the servers to let it know what IP address the phone is using, exchange can push instantly but it needs to know where the phone is first hence the periodic ping.

Jake Storm likes this.
    11-27-11 02:56 PM
    I have played with Android (2.2) and quite like it. My wife has one (got it for her on purpose so that she doesn't send me cutesy BBM's all day and expect a reply) Its fun and pretty.
    What I don't like is mail handling. It doesnt keep the old mails and if you want to go past the initial 20 it starts to load them from the server. Someone told me there is a setting to change that, but I couldn't find it. Maybe because I didn't give it enough time.

BBM, now that is stellar. I tried installing Whatsapp on my 9900 the other day, and deleted it within 5 minutes. My problem was that it automatically added everyone on my Addrees Book who were on whatsapp, to my whatsapp contact list. This meant that everyone including my business contacts etc could see my status and get in touch with me even if I didn't want them to get in touch with me. Even if I block them they will still be able to see my status updates and if they tried sending a message it wouldn't be delivered, in which case they would know that I blocked them. It felt like a damn virus to me. And even when I deleted it, my friend who uses it can see my last status.

Same problem with Gtalk and MSN messenger. There are many people I have on Gtalk but don't want that they can send me messages at any given time.

BBM works fine. I add those I want to be available to, and those I don't want to have access to me anywhere, I just don't invite and they don't get offended.
    There really is no substitute for BBM at this time. And that's one reason I would put up with a non AF camera.
    11-27-11 03:09 PM
    Exchange push and others still need a periodic ping from the phone to the servers to let it know what IP address the phone is using, exchange can push instantly but it needs to know where the phone is first hence the periodic ping.
    An Exchange/Mail server doesn't need to know where to find the phone. It sends the data to the service provider (wireless carrier), who already knows where to send it to the device.
    11-27-11 03:10 PM
    I have played with Android (2.2) and quite like it. My wife has one (got it for her on purpose so that she doesn't send me cutesy BBM's all day and expect a reply) Its fun and pretty.
    What I don't like is mail handling. It doesnt keep the old mails and if you want to go past the initial 20 it starts to load them from the server. Someone told me there is a setting to change that, but I couldn't find it. Maybe because I didn't give it enough time.

BBM, now that is stellar. I tried installing Whatsapp on my 9900 the other day, and deleted it within 5 minutes. My problem was that it automatically added everyone on my Addrees Book who were on whatsapp, to my whatsapp contact list. This meant that everyone including my business contacts etc could see my status and get in touch with me even if I didn't want them to get in touch with me. Even if I block them they will still be able to see my status updates and if they tried sending a message it wouldn't be delivered, in which case they would know that I blocked them. It felt like a damn virus to me. And even when I deleted it, my friend who uses it can see my last status.

Same problem with Gtalk and MSN messenger. There are many people I have on Gtalk but don't want that they can send me messages at any given time.

BBM works fine. I add those I want to be available to, and those I don't want to have access to me anywhere, I just don't invite and they don't get offended.
    There really is no substitute for BBM at this time. And that's one reason I would put up with a non AF camera.

Good point about the email. I tried to search through my some 8000 gmail inbox and it took forever since it had to search from the server. BB kept everything on the device and searches were instant.
    11-27-11 03:15 PM
    An Exchange/Mail server doesn't need to know where to find the phone. It sends the data to the service provider (wireless carrier), who already knows where to send it to the device.
    I really don't think that's how it works? What about an exchange email set on a wifi laptop/tablet? What if the phone is on wifi only?

11-27-11 03:18 PM
    I really don't think that's how it works? What about an exchange email set on a wifi laptop/tablet? What if the phone is on wifi only?

I am pretty sure when a new email comes in, the Exchange server is pinged and the the Exchange server pushes the email to you. Nothing on your device is done besides receiving the email.

I could be very wrong but I believe there are several threads on this forums discussing this.

Either way, Exchange email is just as fast for me as BIS email so it's all good. I have turned email off on my phone for days and did not notice any significant battery increase without it on. The minor increase comes from not reading the email in my findings.
    11-27-11 03:24 PM
    Yes, but with the way Android works, I can search EVERY email I have ever received, not just local emails. Space saving feature... I love IMAP mirroring.

And the cool thing is that if you want it to keep the email locally, you can do just that.

Choice...
    Good point about the email. I tried to search through my some 8000 gmail inbox and it took forever since it had to search from the server. BB kept everything on the device and searches were instant.
    Yea that is one thing the BB does which is beyond reproach.
    I saw this video on Crackberry blog where the guy basically sent himself emails to see when the BB would hang. I believe he got 300,000+ mails on the device before the BB gave him the finger. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
    Yes, but with the way Android works, I can search EVERY email I have ever received, not just local emails. Space saving feature... I love IMAP mirroring.

And the cool thing is that if you want it to keep the email locally, you can do just that.

Choice...
    How?? Someone told me that there is a way to keep the mais forever in Android. Havent been able to figure out how to do it.
    11-27-11 03:26 PM
    When a device connects to a wifi network, then whatever service provider that network is connected through is identified to the mail server for delivery. Functionally it's exactly like it would be on a wireless carrier's network. The only change is the service provider.

The only thing the mail server needs to know about the device itself is the MAC address which is a constant and never changes.
    11-27-11 03:27 PM
    How?? Someone told me that there is a way to keep the mais forever in Android. Havent been able to figure out how to do it.
    K9 does this...

Plus, if you really want un-synced mailboxes (device and server), you can set up Gmail POP.

The Gmail app also allows you to sync different folders.

Another trick is to archive email versus deleting. Archiving hides mail.

This was a huge drawback for me when I first moved to Android. I absolutely hated the fact that I could not keep Gmail on my phone the way I was used to prior. IMAP plus archive fixed that, and is a better way of managing mail for me.
    11-27-11 03:43 PM

To me it appears you are not even trying to find solution to your issues and after 2 days are just giving up. Nothing wrong with that but you cant say you are even giving android a chance after 2 days of use.
    Many have moaned about BB after 24Hrs why should a droid deserve more than two days?
    Plus why do you need to shovel apps onto a phone for basic smartphone functions?
    Lastly all BB have LEDs.
    11-27-11 03:49 PM
    Many have moaned about BB after 24Hrs why should a droid deserve more than two days?
    Plus why do you need to shovel apps onto a phone for basic smartphone functions?
    Lastly all BB have LEDs.
    Careful...

"Basic" smartphone functions? You may not want to treat that road, because your idea of "basic" may differ from someone else's...

Plus, overall functionality is important. A lot of people would not mind "shoveling" apps if it increases overall functionality.

All BBs have LEDs, but none have Skype... my point being, sometimes, you take what is more important to you. For the life of me, I don't know how people function without LEDs, but that is why choice is a good thing.
    11-27-11 03:58 PM
    That's actually why I switched back. My HTC Thunderolt was just too big.

I loved all the functions of the device, the browser, calendar, widgets, google services and push email.

But, I found I was leaving it in the car and at home because it was too big!

If you really want to switch back to BlackBerry you should considering trading your Android for a BlackBerry. I did just that on here. Got a 9650 and some cash too!
    I would consider it, Chrisy, but I need 58 more posts after this one in order to get access to the Marketplace section of the forum! Probably just as well, though - a mandatory cooling off period after buying the Playbook is probably a good thing!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 06:16 PM
    thing with android is that they push so many devices out but none even come closer in the design ratio to apple or rim.the material of android devices is moderate at best not premium like apple or rim.but besides design,android's specs are great.but like many have said,you have to give the platform a chance when you switched to it. 2 days is definitely not sufficient.more like a month is wise.
    11-27-11 06:49 PM
183 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD