So here is my original post about switching to android:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...7/index87.html

Well after 2 days with the att Galaxy S2 I can say for sure Android is no match for bb as a communication device. Yes, the S2 is a media powerhouse with Flash-- and it record 1080p for god sakes, but it's so damn clumsy to make a call, type a sms, check email... There are other issues with Android as well:

-No Sound Profiles: WTF, this is so stupid, I can either have ringer or vibrate, but to completely mute I need to go into settings which is 10 taps away. And why is there a stupid vibrate task symbol when I set it to ring and vibrate.

-No LED indicator

-No bedside mod. As advanced as it is, it expects me to switch to silent every time I go to bed?

-Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy... takes me twice the amount of time to push out a sms.

Finally...email is no where near instant. Even with the Gmail app which is suppose to be push... Push my ***.

Of course, its got advantages over BB but for me I think I'm going back. Will just suck it up and get the white 9810.
    11-27-11 11:39 AM
    So here is my original post about switching to android:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...7/index87.html

Well after 2 days with the att Galaxy S2 I can say for sure Android is no match for bb as a communication device. Yes, the S2 is a media powerhouse with Flash-- and it record 1080p for god sakes, but it's so damn clumsy to make a call, type a sms, check email... There are other issues with Android as well:

-No Sound Profiles: WTF, this is so stupid, I can either have ringer or vibrate, but to completely mute I need to go into settings which is 10 taps away. And why is there a stupid vibrate task symbol when I set it to ring and vibrate.

Several apps that allow easy setup of profiles. They might not be as advanced as a BB but you can set multiple audio notifications and vibration profiles for different apps and such

-No LED indicator

This is phone specific, many android phones have LEDS.

-No bedside mod. As advanced as it is, it expects me to switch to silent every time I go to bed? again many free apps that will allow for this

-Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy... takes me twice the amount of time to push out a sms.

Finally...email is no where near instant. Even with the Gmail app which is suppose to be push... Push my ***.

hotmail, gmail, yahoo and any exchange or activesync are all push. They will arrive instantly.

Of course, its got advantages over BB but for me I think I'm going back. Will just suck it up and get the white 9810.
    To me it appears you are not even trying to find solution to your issues and after 2 days are just giving up. Nothing wrong with that but you cant say you are even giving android a chance after 2 days of use.
    Rickroller, zc1, tack and 1 others like this.
    11-27-11 11:50 AM
    I would agree with you. I left BB about two years ago. Went for the latest and greatest android of the time (HTC Evo 4g) but in a few months I was frustrated with the battery life (it is not the call time that gets you, its the super awesome graphics that kill you phone) and the e-mail is push but only for gmail. Also, many people switch to checking every 15-30 minutes to shore up the battery life.
    Android is awesome at some things. I loved the Google voice navigation but hated the battery consequence. Down 20% after driving to work testing it out. The graphics were cools but now with the new OS7 1.2Ghz I feel BB has all the power it needs and the battery is much better.
    Also, I did not like walking around with a brick on my hip.
    Long story short, I came back for the Torch 9800, which was good enough but as soon as the OS7 devices came out I jumped to them and can finally say I love my phone.

Droids are nice though. If I ever left BB it would be for a droid. To each his own. I have no problems with the business practices of Google or with their open eco-system. They compete on technology and don't do crappy corporate stuff. If Google can just go a couple of years without a massive security problem (just google that or iP for that matter) then it would be on the list of viable candidates.

I agree. BlackBerry is still the one, and getting better I might add.
    the_sleuth and Jake2826 like this.
    11-27-11 11:51 AM
    Well, I'm gonna give it a week. I heard I can add all those apps to add the additional features but wouldn't that kill my battery life even more.

Also, forgot to add, it's difficult to properly exit out of an app without going to task manager to kill it.

Also, can't group, remove annoying att apps from app browser.
    Last edited by ThePoisonBerry; 11-27-11 at 12:13 PM.
    11-27-11 12:10 PM
    Well, I'm gonna give it a week. I heard I can add all those apps to add the additional features but wouldn't that kill my battery life even more.

Also, forgot to add, it's difficult to properly exit out of an app without going to task manager to kill it.

Also, can't group, remove annoying att apps from app browser.
    Make sure you do your research...

As every old BB head (like myself) must figure out, you do NOT need a task killer. Tasks killers do more harm than good.

Android OS manages resources effectively on its own. Get rid of the task killer!
    11-27-11 12:19 PM
    You don't need to exit out or use task manager. Let the OS take care of them.

Yes you cant delete the bloatware without rooting. That is a complaint from everyone. It does suck
    11-27-11 12:19 PM
    Also, no Visual Voice Mail. Is there an app for that? Ifso what is the name?
    11-27-11 12:30 PM
    You should go to the Android forum to learn about the pluses and minuses of your 'new phone'

I would tell you to dump the Android before you get an And(hem)roid, but that's only because this is a BB fan forum
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-27-11 at 01:23 PM.
    11-27-11 12:31 PM
    Also, no Visual Voice Mail. Is there an app for that? Ifso what is the name?
    T-Mobile offers it, but you can use Google Voice if your carrier doesn't (I don't remember off hand if AT&T offers visual voicemail).
    11-27-11 12:32 PM
    I use Google voice also. No problems.
    11-27-11 12:37 PM
    I have also gone android... the HTC EVO 3D. I must admit there are so many pros over my blackberry, but i can't help but miss my torch a little.
    I'm loving the smoother touch screen experience, the browser is great, the apps are great (ill come back to this), front facing camera and Skype, It's fast no lagging, battery is about the same as my torch ( not that great).
    A few gripes, autocorrect usually finds a way to embarrass me (yes, I know that's my own fault), for some reason the it doesn't pick up when I press "I" it doesnt capatalize it, samebwith some other words that should be autocorrected, can't add custom autocorrect words unless you download an app and different keyboards, the app I downloaded and tried was good and allowed me to do that, but then when i type things like "fun" it was autocorrecting to "finger" very weird.
    I miss my bbm and have tried few apps that are close, but Wii never be bbm, that I understood when walking Into this (why did it caps that last I for into?)
    The gmail app won't work, just says my email will appear shortly, I'm stuck using the email icon which I have to manually check.
    No matter how hard I try, I can't get this bloody thing to root, I might have to ask for some one on one time with one of our experts.
    I have an led but can't customize it unless I root the phone.. bummer.
    In the end of the day, I am really liking this phone, I am giving it a solid month of use then going to try to make my decision, I think It's going to be a hard one especially if I can get this rooted.
    At the end of the day It's going to be about what you want to continue using for a phone but i do think that a couple of days isn't enough time to really sink your teeth into this OS.
    11-27-11 12:39 PM
    It takes a complete mental shift to change platforms. For all my talk now, it was hard for me. I wanted everything to work the way it did on BB.

If you have an open mind, and are willing to consider that BB's way may not actually be the best, it makes it much easier.

I have never had a problem with the Gmail app, but all my email is Google based. I like how it works for me, and how it mirrors via IMAP.

If you try Android, and it doesn't work, there is no shame. Choice is good!

Smak, have you checked out XDA for rooting advice?
    11-27-11 12:46 PM
    I have also gone android... the HTC EVO 3D. I must admit there are so many pros over my blackberry, but i can't help but miss my torch a little.
    I'm loving the smoother touch screen experience, the browser is great, the apps are great (ill come back to this), front facing camera and Skype, It's fast no lagging, battery is about the same as my torch ( not that great).
    A few gripes, autocorrect usually finds a way to embarrass me (yes, I know that's my own fault), for some reason the it doesn't pick up when I press "I" it doesnt capatalize it, samebwith some other words that should be autocorrected, can't add custom autocorrect words unless you download an app and different keyboards, the app I downloaded and tried was good and allowed me to do that, but then when i type things like "fun" it was autocorrecting to "finger" very weird.
    I miss my bbm and have tried few apps that are close, but Wii never be bbm, that I understood when walking Into this (why did it caps that last I for into?)
    The gmail app won't work, just says my email will appear shortly, I'm stuck using the email icon which I have to manually check.
    No matter how hard I try, I can't get this bloody thing to root, I might have to ask for some one on one time with one of our experts.
    I have an led but can't customize it unless I root the phone.. bummer.
    In the end of the day, I am really liking this phone, I am giving it a solid month of use then going to try to make my decision, I think It's going to be a hard one especially if I can get this rooted.
    At the end of the day It's going to be about what you want to continue using for a phone but i do think that a couple of days isn't enough time to really sink your teeth into this OS.
    There's no 'perfect' BBM replacement for Android, although GChat support on Android I find is pretty close. I've had a similar issue with gmail syncing; I've managed to get it working by deleting my Google account and then readding it to the phone.

As for rooting the EVO 3D, there's an official (if a bit annoying) process from HTC to switch your phone into dev mode and unlock the bootloader. If you like, feel free to drop me a message and I'll help you through the process and then installing clockworkmod/cyanogenmod to really bring your Evo 3D to life.
    11-27-11 12:47 PM
    No android or iphone has pushed email. The phone has to ask the server if there is email and grabs the email. BB is the only service that tells the phone there is new mail on the server. Stop trying to make android sound good cuz it has its fair share of problems.
    CanadianThomas and Jake Storm like this.
    11-27-11 12:50 PM
    Stop trying to make android sound good cuz it has its fair share of problems.
    Okay...

Your wish is our command. Android is bad!

LOL.
    aNYthing24 likes this.
    11-27-11 12:52 PM
    Not true at all. Both Android and iPhone have push email.

I much prefer email on an Android. I used gMail and had push, embedded images, auto HTML email and no truncation. Far superior than BlackBerry. Not to mention access to all labels.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Najo likes this.
    11-27-11 12:53 PM
    It takes a complete mental shift to change platforms.
    I agree, I know I would have to be mental to want to switch to iPhone or Android.

LOL
    11-27-11 12:56 PM
    Not true at all. Both Android and iPhone have push email.

I much prefer email on an Android. I used gMail and had push, embedded images, auto HTML email and no truncation. Far superior than BlackBerry. Not to mention access to all labels.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Leave it alone, Chrisy... leave it alone. LOL.
    11-27-11 12:56 PM
    I have both the S2 and an iPhone 4 here and I'm looking at changing to a BB for my work phone as I really like the Bold 9900 and the new 9790. Some of the issues that the op describes can easily be sorted with a couple of apps (NOLED for notifications for example). I'd agree though that some features on Android have a clumsy feel to it, but the S2 is a lovely phone.

To the OP, go for whatever phone / OS you feel happiest with. They all have their pros and cons tbh.
    11-27-11 12:57 PM
    I agree, I know I would have to be mental to want to switch to iPhone or Android.

LOL
    LOL. One must be a little crazy to leave BB.
    11-27-11 12:57 PM
    Yes, I have followed all the instructions on rooting and must have missed something because it didn't work. I have to go out soon, but might attempt again tonight.
    If there's an expert out there that can guide me one on one... Pm me please. thx
    11-27-11 01:10 PM
    Don't they have programs now that make rooting a one click deal?
    11-27-11 01:24 PM
    No android or iphone has pushed email. The phone has to ask the server if there is email and grabs the email. BB is the only service that tells the phone there is new mail on the server. Stop trying to make android sound good cuz it has its fair share of problems.
    They do have push email, and yes, that means no server polling.

If we are going to talk about problems, then blackberry has its fair share too.

Do people seriously expect no arguments against when throwing out lies and fantasy?
    moiselles likes this.
    11-27-11 01:31 PM
    some phones have one click some dont.
    11-27-11 01:33 PM
    I have a Droid 3 that I've configured to be as much like my BB as possible. I have LightFlow to do what BerryBuzz did (custom LED colors for various notifications), an app for sound profiles, an app to assign ringtones, etc. Heck, I even have the BB OS6 ringtones on my phone and use Zen Spirit.

You know what I miss that can't be mimicked? The form factor. The Droid 3 is nice, but it's super heavy compared to the 9650. Also, the slider keyboard is excellent, but the portrait keyboard on the BB was a bit more comfortable for me. So I have Bold-envy right now. I'm gonna hold out until the new BBX phones come out next year (I think I can...), but I'd go back now if I didn't have so much money (i.e., lots of accessories and my VZW upgrade) "invested" in the D3.

I just ordered a 16GB Playbook direct from RIM, though, so I'm really, really (!!) tempted to get a 9930 or a 9650 to bridge it with.

Having said all that, Android is NOT a bad OS. Browsing is excellent, and the hardware on the D3 - heavy though it is - is pretty first rate. The HDMI out is a nice feature, free Google Navigation is excellent, and so on.

I guess everything has it's pluses/minuses, but after many months of Android, I still find BB the most appealing of the platforms in terms of hardware, look/feel of the OS, etc.
    11-27-11 01:39 PM
183 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD