This is a learning curve issue, not a BB vs iPhone. I find that is the issue 90% both directions. Many people respond immediately staying how their choice of device is superior, but rarely do they know both devices, just their device.

The link that is provided earlier in the thread is how to do it. Doing it in iTunes is dead simple and fast. I do it all the time. The BB makes it easy to select full mp3 files for sure, but I never want the whole file, just a portion.
    02-18-12 09:52 AM
    Please stop recommending PC software when I have a Mac.
    Ringtonium is an iOS app and iTunes is obviously on the Mac. Either of the suggested options will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-18-12 10:02 AM
    This is a learning curve issue, not a BB vs iPhone. I find that is the issue 90% both directions. Many people respond immediately staying how their choice of device is superior, but rarely do they know both devices, just their device.

The link that is provided earlier in the thread is how to do it. Doing it in iTunes is dead simple and fast. I do it all the time. The BB makes it easy to select full mp3 files for sure, but I never want the whole file, just a portion.
    I disagree, the things I hated about IOS and Android really wore me out the whole year I tried each of them. I had a windows 6.0 before and although it wasn't nearly as smooth, it was much more efficient than both of the other media devices I mentioned. After the Evo I went to a old Curve 8530 (waiting for the 99 to come to sprint) and fell in love instantly (literally in minutes). Now I'm using the 99 and I feel like I have the best phone available.
    OP the things you miss now, you will always miss. I would weigh out your pros and cons and come back home
    BergerKing and mauricio123 like this.
    02-18-12 10:16 AM
    Once the hype of apps and a cool phone wear off, you will be annoyed at the little things that matter the most. At least this is the case for me as I am fairly familiar with most of OS's out there when regards to smartphones. Like everyone says, it all depends on what you want from your phone. For me, it's productivity and not games or entertainment. I do believe when it comes to productivity, nothing beats my 9900 for me. When it comes to entertainment and surfing, I choose my Galaxy S2 and then my iphone, but the 9900 is not too far behind other than in the games and apps category but those are not important factors to me. Like I said, once the excitement wears off, only you will know what is the right device for YOU, which could be totally different from the next guy.
    dimodi likes this.
    02-18-12 11:34 AM
    Once the hype of apps and a cool phone wear off, you will be annoyed at the little things that matter the most. At least this is the case for me as I am fairly familiar with most of OS's out there when regards to smartphones. Like everyone says, it all depends on what you want from your phone. For me, it's productivity and not games or entertainment. I do believe when it comes to productivity, nothing beats my 9900 for me. When it comes to entertainment and surfing, I choose my Galaxy S2 and then my iphone, but the 9900 is not too far behind other than in the games and apps category but those are not important factors to me. Like I said, once the excitement wears off, only you will know what is the right device for YOU, which could be totally different from the next guy.
    I agree, like the alarm that you just can't ignore, or the customised alerts for different types of messages, and the fact that the phone can get through a day without conking out after 16hours
    MB2 likes this.
    02-18-12 12:04 PM
    its an app in the iphone app store, just search for it on your iphone.
    This is very good advice. I got the app thanks!!!
    02-18-12 02:19 PM
    LOL, sorry, I wasn't clear. As another poster indicated it's an iOS app. The only issue I have with it is it doesn't like a few of my tracks for some reason and crashes spectacularly. But it's overall a very polished app and the devs added links to Youtube videos showing how to do some steps. BTW, the full version is only 99c.
    The app mentioned here crashed, and did not work properly so I got the app RMaker instead and it works flawlessly and does not crash on some of my tunes.
    02-18-12 03:08 PM
    The Curve is the budget blackberry, Bold is where it's at.
    Yes but I have spoken with people who had Bolds and told me that it still was the BB OS underneath and although it was faster, still took 5-10 minutes to reboot, rebooted after installing apps, and had all the other limitations of the BB OS.
    02-18-12 03:10 PM
    Ringtonium is an iOS app and iTunes is obviously on the Mac. Either of the suggested options will work for you.

That app crashed and had issues. The app RMaker works flawlessly.
    02-18-12 03:15 PM
    Yes but I have spoken with people who had Bolds and told me that it still was the BB OS underneath and although it was faster, still took 5-10 minutes to reboot, rebooted after installing apps, and had all the other limitations of the BB OS.
    If that's what they told you, it sounds like they may have Bold 9000s not Bold 9900s - what they said, specifically about boot times, simply isn't true - not even close. Also, many apps don't require a reboot. I find it's about 50/50 these days.
    02-18-12 03:50 PM
    There's an advantage to every limitation, for example try posting a picture to this thread from an iphone browser, you can't. You need to buy an app to do it. The advantage list is far longer though.

My 9900 never takes longer then 2 minutes to reboot by the way.

Yes, it's still the same OS underneeth and that's what I love about it, anybody can leave an older curve 8300 and pick up a 9900 and start using it straight away, very little learning curve.
    I love BBOS. I'm even having doubts I will like BB10.
    Chrisy and bigbmc26 like this.
    02-18-12 04:14 PM
    Thats harsh bro. I dont know what i would do without my A Team ring tone. It puts a smile on my face everytime i hear it
    blusls likes this.
    02-18-12 04:18 PM
    If that's what they told you, it sounds like they may have Bold 9000s not Bold 9900s - what they said, specifically about boot times, simply isn't true - not even close. Also, many apps don't require a reboot. I find it's about 50/50 these days.
    I wish I could test or play with a Bold 9900 but Best Buy nor Sprint made that available. Regarding boot times. No iPhone app requires a reboot.
    02-19-12 05:28 AM
    Its true that no iphone app requires a reboot. But no iphone app is allowed integration into the os as well. In BBOS, apps are allowed to integrate into the OS. Or super apps as what RIM calls them. There's always 2 sides to a coin. I'm wondering if I'll like BB10 as well. I mean QNX is definitely a plus, but i kinda like the way BBOS currently works. Its efficient for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-19-12 05:52 AM
    I wish I could test or play with a Bold 9900 but Best Buy nor Sprint made that available. Regarding boot times. No iPhone app requires a reboot.
    Neither does BB apps, only on updates or deletes, not on installs. And you don't have to reboot for each individual app, if you update 5 apps and delete 5 apps you only have to reboot once.
    blusls likes this.
    02-19-12 05:55 AM
    So what do u really miss about your bb? Seems to me u r defending that iPhone purchase pretty hard. I had an iPooh for a work phone. Disliked the non-integration of the apps with the PIM. Disliked that i had to have a specific cable for charging the dang thing.
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    02-19-12 06:20 AM
    For the most part the iphone 4S is a great phone. However there are several areas where the Blackberry knocks it out of the park. E-mail, texting, creating custom ringtones, and several other areas. I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to create custom ringtones from purchased songs, and it still does not work, even after going through a mine field in Garage Band. Blackberry all I did was edit, and select song and they got a ring tone. My goodness why does Apple force people to buy their ring tones?

I have read about 5 web pages from Google searches and nothing seems to work so I have had enough, I give up trying to create a ring tone from my library on the iphone. Apple wants my money, they do not want me to create a ringtone.
    l see you ran Curves before you moved onto the 4S but already you miss your BB?
    Wow what if you had a top tier berry?
    02-19-12 06:26 AM
    I disagree, the things I hated about IOS and Android really wore me out the whole year I tried each of them. I had a windows 6.0 before and although it wasn't nearly as smooth, it was much more efficient than both of the other media devices I mentioned. After the Evo I went to a old Curve 8530 (waiting for the 99 to come to sprint) and fell in love instantly (literally in minutes). Now I'm using the 99 and I feel like I have the best phone available.
    OP the things you miss now, you will always miss. I would weigh out your pros and cons and come back home
    I was talking about the specific ringtone issue, not your view that BB is superior. I won't try to argue that one as I believe to each his own. Efficiency is part of your knowledge and how you use the device. They are never separate. I was not more efficient on my BB, but that does not mean you are not. You opinion to the op is absolute, which is short sighted.
    02-19-12 08:18 AM
    I have only had 1 BB in my life and i think it was the best phone i EVER had. Even tho i could not use the internet on it or BBM or the app world it was still the best.. Im currently using a HTC Radar now and trying to trade it for a BB..
    02-19-12 11:00 AM
    I hear ya. Only thing I miss on my bb is the keyboard and indicator. But everything else I like the iphone better. But I occassonally switch sims between them when I get the bb itch.
    02-19-12 11:10 AM
    That app crashed and had issues. The app RMaker works flawlessly.
    Good tip. Thanks.

02-19-12 02:41 PM
    you will come back for bb10, i am sure of it
    02-19-12 03:19 PM
    My goodness why does Apple force people to buy their ring tones?
    I have over 30 ringers on my iPhone4s and I have yet to buy a single one. Myxer and Make Your Own Ringtones Online - Free Ringtone Maker are the two I use. I can even save as m4r from the sites. Add to the ringer portion of if iTunes then put on your phone. Simple.
    02-20-12 08:08 AM
    Don't go with what people say. You're getting information through personal filters that may not be applicable to you. Always test the phone yourself. If it's not available at one store, unless you live in Barrow, Alaska, you've got another within driving distance.
    My experience, coming as it is through *my* personal filter:
    It's still the same OS but vastly improved from the BB Curve 3G, which is an entry device.
    I've never waited 10 minutes to reboot, not 5 minutes. EVER.
    Not all apps require a reboot, so that is also inaccurate.
    As far as limitations, my 9930, with such perceived limitations, is the phone I reach for to get things done.
    As far as ringtones, try Myxer, as suggested above. It's cross platform and I find great ringtones there.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-20-12 at 08:29 AM.
    02-20-12 08:26 AM
    I remember there was a trick to convert songs into ringtones directly on itunes. Get the info for the song, you would see a section where you can change play duration. Then convert it to m4a (aac). The converted file would only be the duration that you decided previously. Find that file and manually change the extension of the file to .m4r. Add it to itunes again. Then it would appear in itunes as a ringtone.

Not sure if it would still work. It has been so many versions of itunes ago since I last did that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-20-12 08:28 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD