Wilfrid Laurier University names business school for Mike Lazaridis - The Globe and Mail

I just thought this was something positive to share with the community at this time.

Posted via CB10
    wilber1 likes this.
    09-08-15 09:01 AM
    Nice! I was worried this would be an attempt to troll. Good news, thanks for sharing.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    09-08-15 09:06 AM
    If you have made a significant amount of money in business then a good way to leave a legacy is to make a big enough contribution that you get a business school named after you.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-08-15 09:26 AM
    However, there's a certain amount of bitter taste to that.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 09:33 AM
    If you have made a significant amount of money in business then a good way to leave a legacy is to make a big enough contribution that you get a business school named after you.
    $20 million. That is unfortunately the way schools must go to get the funding for building. Not to be too cynical but I suppose Waterloo would have cost too much.

I wonder if Mike L would also like to get a physics or engineering or science building named after him. He is truly a bright guy.
    09-08-15 11:06 AM
    Great, I think everyone loves Mike.lol

Sent from my 5 star BlackBerry Passport
    09-08-15 02:01 PM
    The irony.
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-08-15 02:57 PM
    $20 million. That is unfortunately the way schools must go to get the funding for building. Not to be too cynical but I suppose Waterloo would have cost too much.

I wonder if Mike L would also like to get a physics or engineering or science building named after him. He is truly a bright guy.
    $150m and yet no name.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-08-15 03:01 PM
    Mike was U of Waterloo chancellor for a few years, I don't know if he still is. I don't think his ego is so big that it's important for him to have buildings or research facilities named after him. Everyone at UW knows that the place wouldn't exist without RIM, yet there's no overt promotion of BlackBerry products. Maybe a missed opportunity, maybe a preference for a low-key presence.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    09-09-15 10:04 AM
    Mike was U of Waterloo chancellor for a few years, I don't know if he still is. I don't think his ego is so big that it's important for him to have buildings or research facilities named after him. Everyone at UW knows that the place wouldn't exist without RIM, yet there's no overt promotion of BlackBerry products. Maybe a missed opportunity, maybe a preference for a low-key presence.

Good Lord, hardly. Waterloo was among the pioneers in computing back in the 80s.
    09-09-15 10:09 AM
    Good Lord, hardly. Waterloo was among the pioneers in computing back in the 80s.
    I should have said 'would be a less prominent school'. RIM's generous support has made it Canada's premier university in computer science and engineering. It's the only university in Canada that has a math faculty (which includes Computer Science), and gives out B.Math and M.Math degrees.

09-09-15 11:33 PM
    Very smart and generous man give money to other causes also like Stratford Festival Theater .
    09-10-15 05:38 AM