Are you serious? With all that's happening now, and with the possibility that BBRY will be out of the hardware business in a few years, you really think developers are going to be lining up to write for the platform.

Here's what I'd like to know - will Android apps run *exactly* the same way as they would on the platform for which they're built? It quickly became apparent that sideloading was a second rate solution. Can a tech expert tell me what the difference is here? I mean tell me specifically.
    I haven't sideloaded in a while (i.e., maybe things are better with new runtimes), but sideloaded apps are not really integrated with the OS. You can either choose to pin the Android navigation bar within the app, decreasing screen real estate, or use the unintuitive gesture to replicate back-button functionality. And they don't integrate with notifications, so to see updates, you have to launch the app--which is ironic since one of BB 10's selling points is moving away from the in-and-out app paradigm.
    11-10-13 09:43 PM
    Anyone else sick of all the Google and Play Store and apk chit chat & foaming going on this site?

As far as I'm concerned BB no longer exists. It is clear with the recent leaks that the BB development team is 100% invested into piggy backing of google as much as possible and the fanbase/consumer has fully accepted and embraced this shift.

The 9900 was the last emperor and the 9720 is the last surviving relative.
    I think it just begs the question of whether developing its own platform was the right choice. And that's a question Mr. Chen should 100% investigate, just as Elop did at Nokia. I'm not questioning the merits of QNX or some of the novel features of BB 10. But, the choice to develop its own platform--without having some major differentiating feature--has a hint of "Not Invented Here" syndrome.

Chen said he was trying to pick out which BlackBerry he was going to use. Well, I would recommend he use both a BB 10 phone and an OS 7 phone, which will help understand where BlackBerry came from as well as some users' frustrations with features that were deprecated or not yet present in BB 10.
    Saiga and Blacklatino like this.
    11-10-13 10:00 PM
    I disagree. BB10 is completely different from Android in terms of user experience... just because they can run Android apps doesn't make it the same as Android. And just because BB10 wants to differentiate itself from other platform doesn't mean it shouldn't use its brilliant android player idea to benefit its users
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-10-13 10:25 PM
    chill out, its a good thing

and that microsoft sabrina is a b*tch!
    11-10-13 11:18 PM
    BlackBerry has not given up on the app situation. This is just a temporary fix until the devs decide to develop an actual app for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, that's your opinion. Not a fact.
    SK122387 likes this.
    11-10-13 11:19 PM
    You may find more often than not, people are interested in getting the Play Store to Blackberry...
    11-11-13 12:24 AM
    How does having access to Google Play translate to running an Android OS?
    Staggered integration but in any case, I'm pretty sure I didn't say it would, just that I don't wanna see it happen

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    11-11-13 12:38 AM
    It's better for BlackBerry to lose you and gain many others who would now want the phone because its got all the apps they want.You win some you lose some.

It won't make BlackBerry a viable option. MotoX by all rights should be the most used Android Phone since Google owns them and one could assume it would be equal to the Nexus in getting updated OS first. Fact is the very,very few want it. Sprint users really don't want Google. We bitched forever to get iPhone and they waited to long. We wanted Nokia and still none. We wanted BlackBerry and nope so like myself a lot left to get it. If you can't see the trend let me spell it out. Anything EXCEPT Android. That's a huge blow. Now the BlackBerry faithful. You will have the power of choice. You can get apps and lose security or you can have security with little apps. With Google on board expect your SMS and Email to be collected because Google believes that the moment you send it you gave permission for the World to read it. A simple search will pull up where Microsoft tried to bring suit against them for it. While I think it was childish the reply from Google was worse.

I am one who is leaving because of problems with the OS. Will be watching and can say honestly that if BlackBerry beds up with Google I will have owned my last BlackBerry in this device and will either go iOS or Windows for security. You can't have Google and have what's kept BlackBerry around this long. Don't really have to believe it but allowed to pass along a saying my parents taught. Hard Heads Make Sore A***s! Meaning you will regret the choice!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 09:42 AM
    If the play store really happens, then I'll just switch to a note 3 as my primary device.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    11-11-13 09:50 AM
    Android apps are horrible. Even on android devices the apps have a horrible experience. I use a BlackBerry because I like the native app experience better than android. Android play store on BlackBerry is bad news for native apps.

Posted via CB10
    That is just not true. Many of the Android apps that I have on my Droid Maxx and the same app on my Z10 (native) the Android app offers more features and options. Some require payment on BB and are free on Android. Many of the apps on my Z10 seem amaturish and laggy or buggy.
    11-11-13 10:43 AM
    I think it just begs the question of whether developing its own platform was the right choice. And that's a question Mr. Chen should 100% investigate, just as Elop did at Nokia. I'm not questioning the merits of QNX or some of the novel features of BB 10. But, the choice to develop its own platform--without having some major differentiating feature--has a hint of "Not Invented Here" syndrome.

Chen said he was trying to pick out which BlackBerry he was going to use. Well, I would recommend he use both a BB 10 phone and an OS 7 phone, which will help understand where BlackBerry came from as well as some users' frustrations with features that were deprecated or not yet present in BB 10.
    Well, Chen can't really change/revise/fix "whatever" is defined as the problem(s), if he doesn't really understand the past, leading to the present before mapping out a strategic plan for the future.
    11-11-13 11:37 AM
    I haven't sideloaded in a while (i.e., maybe things are better with new runtimes), but sideloaded apps are not really integrated with the OS. You can either choose to pin the Android navigation bar within the app, decreasing screen real estate, or use the unintuitive gesture to replicate back-button functionality. And they don't integrate with notifications, so to see updates, you have to launch the app--which is ironic since one of BB 10's selling points is moving away from the in-and-out app paradigm.
    I see. So in the end, the availability of Play Store apps on BB10 is basically what it was when you could sideload apps, but now it's easier to get at them?

In other words, there's nothing in the proposed deal that optimizes Android apps for BB10 to make them run better? This is an honest question.
    11-12-13 05:38 AM
    I see. So in the end, the availability of Play Store apps on BB10 is basically what it was when you could sideload apps, but now it's easier to get at them?

In other words, there's nothing in the proposed deal that optimizes Android apps for BB10 to make them run better? This is an honest question.
    Well, the runtime itself is being improved with better hardware/graphics performance and optimizations so that the apps do run better and there is greater app compatibility. And I believe the runtime has expanded access to BB 10 APIs. But until/unless these apps are integrated better into the Hub, file system, etc., this is not really a viable solution.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 04:39 PM
    Op is mad that BlackBerry is opening more doors for developers to get their apps on BlackBerry devices. Makes sense.
    11-16-13 05:13 PM
    For the life of me I can't understand the anger. If you don't like Android, just don't use it.
    11-16-13 09:53 PM
    Op is mad that BlackBerry is opening more doors for developers to get their apps on BlackBerry devices. Makes sense.
    Not mad, at all. Not even mad at your stupid post. Keep at it.
    kolowosh likes this.
    11-16-13 10:21 PM
    After reading the ridiculous thread, stating that the app gap is gone and a certain number of people saying that our BB10 phones are actually Android phones running the full Android OS, I am for the proposition of this thread.

CB should just become a subforum of AC, since our BlackBerry's are actually Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:27 AM
    After reading the ridiculous thread, stating that the app gap is gone and a certain number of people saying that our BB10 phones are actually Android phones running the full Android OS, I am for the proposition of this thread.

CB should just become a subforum of AC, since our BlackBerry's are actually Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    We love BB10 because of its HUB, keyboard, gesture based UI and performance, etc., adding android app support does not make BB10 lose all that, why people saying adding android support makes BB10 android?

It adds on to it, not taking away from it.
    11-17-13 08:54 PM
    I don't understand the hate. BlackBerry is doing what they think is necessary to get the big name apps on their devices to appease the consumer market. What is wrong with this? Many people are gaining access to apps they could not have because they chose BlackBerry. I don't disagree that the 9900 was the king, but it was the king of the old empire. The King of the new empire is not a BlackBerry anymore and it may never be again if BlackBerry hangs on to the past.

I'd just like to add that Native BlackBerry10 Apps are still the best for this phone. They work flawlessly, look great and integrate well with the OS. But I could not get certain apps and games on this device until now. When those developers ever make a BB10 version of their app it will be solely because of all the users that bought a BlackBerry thanks to the fact that they could get that app anyway whether it was native or not. This gets rid of the chicken or egg issue with BlackBerry apps. Now they just need to market that egg. Or is it the chicken they need to market? Whatever came first then.
    11-17-13 09:22 PM
94 ... 234