I set up my Blackberry so that it's supposed to get my emails from my work email address, which I get through Microsoft Outlook. I did it on my own, as I don't really NEED my emails coming to my phone, but it's a nice perk.

However, I've noticed that the emails will only come to my phone if I dont have Microsoft Outlook open on my computer. Am I missing a setting or is this always going to happen? Because I usually leave Outlook open on my computer all day but I'm not usually (or at the very least, not supposed to be) at my desk all the time.
    05-14-08 10:40 AM
    I believe you need to set it up with BES. In order to get your work emails I think you have to connect to an exchange server. If you set it up to forward emails to you then you have to leave MS Outlook open. I am not really sure though. I am sure someone will post some enlightening info soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 11:00 AM
    I'm not really sure about this but I know that my outlook is configured as POP3 and sucks emails out of the server...so the only copies that remain are in my outlook inbox...so if your outlook is open, it might be sucking your emails out of the server before your BB can receive them. If you configure outlook to IMAP, the emails remain on the server and then they might get delivered to your phone. Try that out.
    05-14-08 11:19 AM
    Ha i beat you rstaaf! :P

Your suggestions sounds good but switching to IMAP instead of POP will allow both things - leaving outlook on as well as getting emails on your BB.
    05-14-08 11:21 AM
    It sounds like your BB and Outlook are competing for the messages. I suspect that your work email is downloaded via POP. When Outlook connects to the POP server, it looks for new mail, downloads it and deletes it from the POP server, this is SOP. When Outlook is open your BB is not going to find any mail on the POP server. What you probably need to do is delete your work email settings from your BB and just setup a rule in your Outlook client to forward your mail to your BB email address. Since you say you leave Outlook open all day this will probably work as you are expecting. Just keep in mind this method will NOT forward mail when Outlook is closed...

Again I am making assumptions here but they seem to fit with the details you have provided so far...

You could also just set Outlook to leave the mail on the server rather than delete it. This way it will still be there when your BB connects. The only caveat here is that your mailbox could fill up if you don't occasionally delete messages from it.
    05-14-08 11:24 AM
    Ha i beat you rstaaf! :P

Your suggestions sounds good but switching to IMAP instead of POP will allow both things - leaving outlook on as well as getting emails on your BB.
    Yup but she could also just set Outlook to leave the mail on the server using POP which will also allow messages to be read in both places...
    05-14-08 11:25 AM
    How does one do that? Is it in the options somewhere?
    05-14-08 11:27 AM
    Yes, just go into the settings for your account, I believe it is on the last tab, there is a checkbox to leave mail on the server.
    05-14-08 11:34 AM
    How do I do this?

It sounds like your BB and Outlook are competing for the messages. I suspect that your work email is downloaded via POP. When Outlook connects to the POP server, it looks for new mail, downloads it and deletes it from the POP server, this is SOP. When Outlook is open your BB is not going to find any mail on the POP server. What you probably need to do is delete your work email settings from your BB and just setup a rule in your Outlook client to forward your mail to your BB email address. Since you say you leave Outlook open all day this will probably work as you are expecting. Just keep in mind this method will NOT forward mail when Outlook is closed...
    The thing is, I'd much rather it forward it to me when it IS closed, like on weekends or after school.

You could also just set Outlook to leave the mail on the server rather than delete it. This way it will still be there when your BB connects. The only caveat here is that your mailbox could fill up if you don't occasionally delete messages from it.
    Yup but she could also just set Outlook to leave the mail on the server using POP which will also allow messages to be read in both places...
    Yes, just go into the settings for your account, I believe it is on the last tab, there is a checkbox to leave mail on the server.
    I can't find the setting... can you help me, maybe be a bit more specific as to where this option is?
    05-14-08 11:40 AM
    I am on Office 2003 so if you have a different version it might be a bit different. Just let me know as I have access to Office 2007 as well.

In Outlook 2003

Go to Tools, Email Accounts. The View Existing E-mail Accounts radio button should already be selected. Click Next. You should see your email account list on this screen, highlight it and click Change. There is a button on the Screen labeled More Settings, click that and on the dialog box that pops up go the last tab which I think is Advanced Settings, there is a checkbox there to Leave Mail on server, check that. Click OK, then Click Finish and you should be set.

Leave the settings on your BB as you had them, this is the only change you should need to make to get your email in both places.
    05-14-08 11:46 AM
    In Outlook 2007 is is almost the same except you go to Tools>Account Settings to get to the list of email accounts, from there you can double click on the email account you want to change and click the More Settings button and follow what I posted above...
    05-14-08 11:50 AM

In Outlook 2003

Go to Tools, Email Accounts. The View Existing E-mail Accounts radio button should already be selected. Click Next. You should see your email account list on this screen, highlight it and click Change. There is a button on the Screen labeled More Settings, click that and on the dialog box that pops up go the last tab which I think is Advanced Settings, there is a checkbox there to Leave Mail on server, check that. Click OK, then Click Finish and you should be set.

Leave the settings on your BB as you had them, this is the only change you should need to make to get your email in both places.

Thanks! That worked on my outlook 2007 as well...so looks like this's the easiest option to get emails on your BB instead if switching to IMAP from POP3.
    05-14-08 11:57 AM
    I am on Office 2003 so if you have a different version it might be a bit different. Just let me know as I have access to Office 2007 as well.

In Outlook 2003

I tried this and I got all the way to More Settings and then got lost. The dialog box has the following tabs: General, Advanced, Security, Connection, Remote Mail. If I go into Advanced, it brings up the name of the exchange account, and how to control the connection state. If I go to the last tab, Remote Mail, it has two choices: Process Marked Items (which is selected) and Retrieve items that meet the following conditions.

No Leave Mail on Server option.
    05-14-08 12:00 PM
    Our assumption that you were getting mail via a POP server was wrong. Those settings seem to indicate you are connecting to an Exchange server. In the list of Email accounts did your account say anything about Exchange Server?

Lets go back to the beginning, when you said you had your BB setup to get your work emails, what did you do? How is it currently setup?

I am also connecting to an Exchange server and what I do is forward mail via a rule in Outlook. Since I am connected to an Exchange server the rules are done via the server and they work whether Outlook is up or not. This is probably the best way to set up what you are trying to achieve but I need to get an idea of how you have things setup now.
    Last edited by rstaaf; 05-14-08 at 12:06 PM.
    05-14-08 12:04 PM
    Thanks! That worked on my outlook 2007 as well...so looks like this's the easiest option to get emails on your BB instead if switching to IMAP from POP3.
    Yup, it also avoids that extra set of folders you get in Outlook with the IMAP option, it is a better solution when you are trying to create a unified mailbox with multiple email accounts.
    05-14-08 12:07 PM
    Oops...

I dont know what the BB settings are for exchange servers but you could ask your IT person to change your setting so that your email stays on the server and as I said before, does not get sucked into your inbox. Emails staying on the server is what you need.

rstaaf, wouldnt daisy need to have the computer on for forwarding to work? Or are emails forwarded even if the computer's switched off?
    05-14-08 12:11 PM
    I tried this and I got all the way to More Settings and then got lost. The dialog box has the following tabs: General, Advanced, Security, Connection, Remote Mail. If I go into Advanced, it brings up the name of the exchange account, and how to control the connection state. If I go to the last tab, Remote Mail, it has two choices: Process Marked Items (which is selected) and Retrieve items that meet the following conditions.

No Leave Mail on Server option.
    Ahh I see you did see the part about Exchange. If you are on Exchange than the best way to set this up is to delete your work email settings from your BB. Create a rule in Outlook to forward all your mail or you can even forward specific mail if you don't want it all by specifying criteria to select just certain emails to forward to your BB account. Since you are on an Exchange server the rules work at the server level, not the client so they will work whether Outlook is up or not.

To create rules in Outlook just go to Tools>Rules and Alerts

Click on the New Rule button.

Click on the Start From a Blank Rule radio button.

Click Next.

Click Next again.

A dialog box will pop up saying something like this rule will be applied to ALL messages, click Yes.

Put a check in the forward to people or distribution checkbox.

In the bottom panel click on the people or distribution list link.

Enter your Blackberry email address next to the TO button.

Click OK.

Click Finish.

That should create a rule that will forward any email that arrives in your inbox to your Blackberry email account whether Outlook is up or not.
    05-14-08 12:17 PM
    Ahh I see you did see the part about Exchange. If you are on Exchange than the best way to set this up is to delete your work email settings from your BB. Create a rule in Outlook to forward all your mail or you can even forward specific mail if you don't want it all by specifying criteria to select just certain emails to forward to your BB account. Since you are on an Exchange server the rules work at the server level, not the client so they will work whether Outlook is up or not.

To create rules in Outlook just go to Tools>Rules and Alerts

Click on the New Rule button.

Click on the Start From a Blank Rule radio button.

Click Next.

Click Next again.

A dialog box will pop up saying something like this rule will be applied to ALL messages, click Yes.

Put a check in the forward to people or distribution checkbox.

In the bottom panel click on the people or distribution list link.

Enter your Blackberry email address next to the TO button.

Click OK.

Click Finish.

That should create a rule that will forward any email that arrives in your inbox to your Blackberry email account whether Outlook is up or not.

Okay, I'm about to do this but... will I still be able to reply to emails that I receive on my Blackberry? I mean, will I be able to reply to them from my work email address?

And, I assume that when I delete a work email from my Blackberry, it won't delete it on Outlook, right?
    05-14-08 12:20 PM
    The only problem with this method is that every email will appear to come from your work account so it is a bit of a pain to respond to people as you can't just hit reply. You will have to hit reply and then manually type in the email address you want it to go to or create a contact entry for them so you can select the address that way. It will appear to come from your Blackberry address.

I am still a little confused about how your Blackberry is setup to receive emails. Did your IT department set it up?
    05-14-08 12:21 PM
    No, I just set my Blackberry up by myself through BIS.

Okay I tried what you suggested, sent myself a test email from my gmail account and got the email on my computer - and nothing on my phone. Rawr. Maybe I'll just go back to the way it is and start closing Outlook on my computer when I'm not at my desk.
    05-14-08 12:26 PM
    The Blackberry does not check for email that quickly, you have to wait for it. I am not sure off the top of my head of the exact timing but it is not instant...

I do believe if you go into your mailbox and click the menu key one of the options is reconcile now which should if I am correct check for mail.
    Last edited by rstaaf; 05-14-08 at 12:39 PM.
    05-14-08 12:35 PM
    Lol, I'm so used to instant gratification that I only gave it 5 minutes and said "it's not working". I guess I've been conditioned to expect fast results!
    05-14-08 12:37 PM
    I know what you mean, I think we all have a bit of the "NOW" generation in us

Did it work after the reconcile now?
    05-14-08 12:42 PM
    Nope... sent 15 minutes ago and still waiting...
    05-14-08 02:11 PM
    Don't give up yet. I just received an email on my BB that I actually received in Outlook over an hour ago. Email is like the airlines, they can claim you will get there by a certain time but how often do you actually arrive when they say you will

I will check back on this thread tomorrow, if you still have not received it post back here...
    05-14-08 02:41 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD