But I also certainly don't talk about "Minolta'ing" either! So the trademark has to be catchy or easy to say too.
    Yes it has to roll naturally off the tongue or it'll never catch on.

Doh! I forgot about the most obvious one, Googling!

For some it has come to mean searching the web using any search engine, "I'll just Google this on Bing!".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    09-12-14 07:00 AM
    In our house... at least among the kids, the iPad is called iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tab Kid 7 Super Fun Edition is called iPad. My 4 yr old HP Touchpad is called, you guessed it, iPad.

Apple is vanilla ice cream. It works. It's always good, but it's still just vanilla.
    09-12-14 07:46 AM
    I don't think the announcers are stupid for doing it. It might be that an iPad is what they use personally and are just used to saying that. I call many things by a brand name. A cotton swab is always a Q-tip, gelatin is Jello, a bandage is a bandaid.
    09-12-14 08:01 AM
    Yes it has to roll naturally off the tongue or it'll never catch on.

Doh! I forgot about the most obvious one, Googling!

For some it has come to mean searching the web using any search engine, "I'll just Google this on Bing!".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    Heh. I use Bing and felt like such a tool when I tried "Go Bing it." I don't do that anymore.

"Google" really does feel better.
    09-12-14 09:49 AM
    Doesn't it figure? Those announcers are stupid at calling football games and even more stupid at electronics! Any wonder why I throw my remote at the tv?
    They could write SURFACE on each others foreheads. Too many concussion's maybe.
    09-12-14 09:56 AM
    It's not just BlackBerry who gets run over by the Apple juggernaut.

Microsoft Paid The NFL $400 Million To Use Its Tablets, But Announcers Are Calling Them iPads

Microsoft Paid The NFL $400 Million To Use Its Tablets, But Announcers Are Calling Them iPads - Business Insider

Prior to the season, Microsoft and the NFL struck a 5-year, $400 million deal with one of the major components being that the Microsoft Surface would become "the official tablet of the NFL" with coaches and players using the Surface on the sidelines during games.

But Microsoft and the league ran into a problem during week one of the season when at least two television announcers mistakenly referred to the tablets as iPads giving a huge rival some unexpected exposure.

Z10
    I'm sure this has been pointed out but since this is football, shouldn't they be using PLAYbooks?
    09-12-14 10:01 AM
    [url=http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics] You're the stupid one if you don't think there are some really intelligent and hard working people in 1700 players.
    Considering there are around 120 Div 1 football teams with an average of 85 scholarships awarded each team (baring sanctions) your 1700 figure is way off. Div 1 alone has about 10200 scholarship players plus many walkons as well.
    09-12-14 10:11 AM
    so people that call all soda "coke" are stupid is what you are saying?
    Works for me.
    lift likes this.
    09-12-14 10:13 AM
    That would depend on how the pop is presented. If it's in a can that's blue and labeled pepsi, than it's kind of dumb to call it coke. As for the actual topic, I don't remember seeing any blue ipads but I would bet there was a few people who saw this and went hunting for that elusive blue ipad.

Honestly I have never heard anyone call another pop coke though unless it is in a glass. Coke just gets associated with all the alcoholic beverages. You never hear rye and pepsi.

Posted via CB10
    Even dumber to call it a coke if the drink is clearly an orange flavored one or ginger ale or a Mountain Dew
    lift likes this.
    09-12-14 10:17 AM
    Guess Goodell couldn't be bothered to send out a memo telling everyone able their 400 million dollar partner.

Also calling all soda coke sounds really dumb to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:24 AM
    I personally don't do it either, but I'd caution calling what's essentially a cultural custom "dumb" just because you don't understand it. I'm originally from Canada but spent the majority of the last ten years in the South and it didn't take very long for me to understand what people meant when they said "Coke." I'm sure there are people out there that look at Westerners funny for using Kleenex or band-aid or whatever else has been ingrained into our everyday lexicon.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-12-14 11:42 AM
    Even dumber to call it a coke if the drink is clearly an orange flavored one or ginger ale or a Mountain Dew
    From what my Louisianan (sp?) college friend told me, they would call it an "orange coke". Similar to how someone might call a Surface the "Microsoft iPad".

Language is extremely fluid and drift occurs rapidly. I wouldn't call people dumb for adapting to local use.
    09-12-14 12:12 PM
62 123