Flipboard, Vine and Path coming to Windows Phone 8 this year | MobileSyrup.com

So if they're going to develop for them why not us?

It's one thing not to be developed for, but to turn around announce support to one platform, and leave the other out of the loop? That just ain't cool.
    tonytraj17 likes this.
    07-11-13 10:26 PM
    Flipboard, Vine and Path coming to Windows Phone 8 this year | MobileSyrup.com

So if they're going to develop for them why not us?

It's one thing not to be developed for, but to turn around announce support to one platform, and leave the other out of the loop? That just ain't cool.
    MSFT is in the position to throw money at anything it wants to make happen. BBRY, not so much.
    07-11-13 10:28 PM
    no this just frustrates me. it makes it seem even more unlikely that they'll be coming over now.

add insult to injury, huh.
    07-11-13 10:29 PM
    1. Could simply be Microsoft throwing money at them indeed, they have a massive budget to work with compared to BlackBerry.

2. There are likely a fair bit more Windows Phone 8 products versus BlackBerry 10 products at the moment, as the majority of BlackBerry's market share is still legacy devices at the moment, while I'd reckon most (or at least a substantial part) of Windows Phone's market share is running WP8 by now.
    pineappleqwer likes this.
    07-11-13 10:31 PM
    1. Could simply be Microsoft throwing money at them indeed, they have a massive budget to work with compared to BlackBerry.

2. There are likely a fair bit more Windows Phone 8 products versus BlackBerry 10 products at the moment, as the majority of BlackBerry's market share is still legacy devices at the moment, while I'd reckon most (or at least a substantial part) of Windows Phone's market share is running WP8 by now.
    I mostly agree. Money talks.
    07-11-13 10:32 PM
    Wonder how much code sharing can be done between Windows Phone and Windows 8... because, if it's substantial... then this shouldn't come as a surprise.
    07-11-13 10:40 PM
    Wonder how much code sharing can be done between Windows Phone and Windows 8... because, if it's substantial... then this shouldn't come as a surprise.
    That's something I haven't thought of actually. I know that I've seen Jetpack Joyride running on a Windows 8 laptop, so unless Halfbrick went out of their way to modify the app, there could be a very substantial amount of code sharing going on. Having said that, that shouldn't make a difference for an app like Vine - who's going to be making Vines from their PC?
    07-11-13 10:45 PM
    Correction. Nokia gets it not Micrpsoft

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-11-13 10:48 PM
    This will continue as the phone was launched first and there are more Windows phones in the hands of users compared to BB10. The amount of users is number 1 in app developers minds it seems and very few want to stick there necks out to help BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    07-11-13 10:49 PM
    It's all about numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:50 PM
    It's all about numbers.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Green ones.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-11-13 10:52 PM
    That's something I haven't thought of actually. I know that I've seen Jetpack Joyride running on a Windows 8 laptop, so unless Halfbrick went out of their way to modify the app, there could be a very substantial amount of code sharing going on. Having said that, that shouldn't make a difference for an app like Vine - who's going to be making Vines from their PC?
    Well, Vine is the only one that would have made sense... given that it was the launch of a 41-freaking-Megapixel 'phone'... lol

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:52 PM
    Well, Vine is the only one that would have made sense... given that it was the launch of a 41-freaking-Megapixel 'phone'... lol

Posted via CB10
    You're forgetting about Hipstamatic Oggl - which will include Instagram posting (thus closing that app hole as well).

Hats off to Nokia for pulling this off.
    07-11-13 11:00 PM
    That's how you get er done
    07-11-13 11:12 PM
    Hopefully BB10 development isn't far behind, though I'm not holding my breath. And the article says later this year, perhaps things will change for BlackBerry by then.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    07-11-13 11:29 PM
    Money talks. BS walks.

I'll let you figure you who has what between MS and BB.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    richardat likes this.
    07-11-13 11:43 PM
    I've never used these apps. Are they from IOS? What do they do and does BB10 have similar products?

The reason I ask is that I have never felt excluded from the full use of my device but I wonder sometimes if there are capabilities I am missing because I have no experience with popular apps from other platforms. Or the desire to have these apps less to do with what they do and more to do with "keeping up with the Joneses". I'm not being critical here; just trying to understand.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard and ChrisInSD like this.
    07-11-13 11:45 PM
    flipboard and path work when you sideload it on. vine, not so much but agree regarding all the above!
    07-11-13 11:46 PM
    Vine is OVER. Flip board is the truth. Never used path, but it sounds walk.

My 8 cents
    07-11-13 11:48 PM
    Microsoft has dumped millions in development incentives. It gets results. Time will tell if it is sustainable. BlackBerry should make deals with these apps and bbm. Think channels in Flipboard...

Posted by Z10
    richardat and web99 like this.
    07-11-13 11:55 PM
    Instagram was coming for BlackBerry 10 and look how that worked out. My point, later this year could be December 31st

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 12:03 AM
    I've never actually done it, but I know both use C# so a lot of the code would work with both, unless it depends on features in newer versions of .NET.

I have no idea how different the interface is though.
    07-12-13 12:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Keep in mind that the 41MP camera got people talking. People will remember it.

What's BB doing to get people talking? Putting midrange specs in a flagship phablet I guess, but that's not really the kind of talking we want to hear about.
    07-12-13 12:28 AM
    Windows is a more fashion friendly phone, it's the cool thing to own ie: greater interest attracts developers

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 12:28 AM
    This is not surprising at all.
    This was thesame reason why MS was quick to announce that they are now the third ecosystem.

Over the past weeks, WP has got alot of official apps and they keep coming. This was not the case when it launched in November.
    Most devs decided to use the wait and watch option between it and BB to see which was worth developing for. Right now devs looking for a new OS would definitely choose WP over BB.

BB has even more work to do cos with this, their app situation gets potentially worse. If it was hard enough convincing devs to develop for a third OS, it would even be harder for a fourth. Let's not forget that Tizen would soon be out and would also wrestle for fourth. Also there is desktop based OSes devs would also want to dev for.

When MS said they were 3rd, they were not trying to steal BB users but convince devs.

Lastly, though money may be involved, we should not put the recent success of WP down to money alone. Nokia did a good job in hitting every price point with quality offerings under 6 months after launch. They have even gone on to bring better devices not waiting for MS. This is something BB has so far not done well.
    Last edited by jedisco; 07-12-13 at 12:57 AM.
    07-12-13 12:34 AM
50 12