I over heard it will be majority are xbox and Nokia. And also I heard there's plan is place to partnerships with BlackBerry.
    Rumors are out there and I don't know if you guys have any insight

#BBFactCheck
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    07-17-14 08:20 AM
    Corrections to my title. Workers!

#BBFactCheck
    07-17-14 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry lays off 60 people and it's national news and they are going bankrupt. Microsoft lays off 18000 and it's a good move and the stock price goes up.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Smitty13, GSM-S, xBURK and 14 others like this.
    07-17-14 08:22 AM
    Yeah.. i love those spin doctors
    BlackBerry lays off 60 people and it's national news and they are going bankrupt. Microsoft lays off 18000 and it's a good move and the stock price goes up.

07-17-14 08:26 AM
    No not Xbox hopefully it doesn't mess up Xbox too much I love that system (I have Xbox one)

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 08:31 AM
    I got a free Xbox one and 5games at launch date from ms one out of 100 or so given to fans

Posted via CrackBerry App
    anon6113468 likes this.
    07-17-14 08:33 AM
    Xbox? I thought Xbox is one of their more profitable divisions. For a couple of decades now Microsoft has been seen as being "uncool". The Xbox is the one thing people thought was cool.
    07-17-14 08:34 AM
    I read it was more Nokia employees than xbox
    07-17-14 08:37 AM
    They are taking a heavy axe to the handset group. Bye bye Android and hello blind loyalty with all things Microsoft. It is a sad thing, Nokia was once the king of the hardware game, and their industrial designs were brilliant.

Press release

Microsoft today announced a sweeping company-wide re-organization that includes major changes to the mobile device business acquired from Nokia. Of Microsoft's 18,000 layoffs today, 12,500 are within the former Nokia units. Microsoft will combine the smartphone and feature phone units, with the feature phone operations continuing "for maximum efficiency with a smaller team." Nokia's Android-based Nokia X lineup will be abandoned. Select future models will be reworked to run Windows Phone to address new low price points for Lumia. Existing Nokia X phones will be supported, but the software will not appear in any new phones. The company will focus primarily on Windows-Phone-powered Lumia phones, and tablets. In an open email to employees, Stephen Elop explained that "the role of phones within Microsoft is different than it was within Nokia. Whereas the hardware business of phones within Nokia was an end unto itself, within Microsoft all our devices are intended to embody the finest of Microsoft’s digital work and digital life experiences, while accruing value to Microsoft’s overall strategy."
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    07-17-14 08:41 AM
    That is a lot of people. How many employees do they even have?
    07-17-14 09:10 AM
    MS has about 127,000 so this is about a 14% cut in the workforce. The most the effected will be former Nokia workers that came over.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    07-17-14 09:37 AM
    ....And also I heard there's plan is place to partnerships with BlackBerry.
    #BBFactCheck
    Post your source of this information or it didn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    07-17-14 09:42 AM

And this isn't!?? All over Fox and CNN.

Shows you how messed up the world is when 18,000 are going to loose their jobs and Wall Street does a little dance. Sick people with a twisted set of values. Those that say "it's just business" have the same twisted set of values. Period.

Yes, lay offs happen but flesh and blood should be held as more important than a scrap of paper currency or stock.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    07-17-14 09:46 AM
    The rumors about partnerships with BlackBerry should be taken as grains of salt because it is not official.

#BBFactCheck
    GRojasHruska and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-17-14 10:03 AM
    ... In an open email to employees, Stephen Elop explained that "the role of phones within Microsoft is different than it was within Nokia. Whereas the hardware business of phones within Nokia was an end unto itself, within Microsoft all our devices are intended to embody the finest of Microsoft’s digital work and digital life experiences, while accruing value to Microsoft’s overall strategy."
    I bet and hope the open mail was intended for remaining employees, otherwise it's as insult for those on a list for layoff.
    Try to have digital life experience when asked to go to HR ...
    07-17-14 10:09 AM
    Maybe, you should turn to PlayStation 4? Just a thought... we should soon have our own VR headsets... could be good y'know?
    07-17-14 10:47 AM
    Also, this is no surprise to anyone who was paying attention, and is routine with acquisitions anyway. MS's only interest in devices is to get more people using Windows and Office - they don't care about feature phones and they certainly don't care about Android phones. If the deal had gone through 6 months sooner, the Nokia X would have been killed before release.

And let's not forget that BB's stock price usually jumped up a bit when they announced layoffs too. That also is routine.
    07-17-14 10:53 AM
    The rumors about partnerships with BlackBerry should be taken as grains of salt because it is not official.

#BBFactCheck
    I am hearing no such rumors. From where are you getting this information? Nothing I have read or heard has indicated that any such plan, discussion, or rumor has even taken place. Except your post, of course.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 10:55 AM
    Don't forget that MS is also licensing his Windows Phone OS to any manufacturer. So they are reducing the hardware personal.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 10:59 AM
    Don't forget that MS is also licensing his Windows Phone OS to any manufacturer. So they are reducing the hardware personal.

Posted via CB10
    People would have to want to license it.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    07-17-14 11:05 AM
    OP please show were the BB rumor is or i will edit it out of your post as I have seen any "rumor" of such
    07-17-14 11:11 AM
    I was always puzzled with the Nokia X direction. As stated above, MS only cares about devices to gain users/subscribers for their software/services. Very simple.

However, I'm amazed that 12,500 employees became entirely redundant within the mobile device unit based on that decision.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 11:22 AM
    I was always puzzled with the Nokia X direction. As stated above, MS only cares about devices to gain users/subscribers for their software/services. Very simple.

However, I'm amazed that 12,500 employees became entirely redundant within the mobile device unit based on that decision.

Posted via CB10
    Well 30,000 came over with Nokia so there are still 17,500 left to do what MS plans to do with WinPhone. Wouldn't be surprised if there is another round that slims the former Nokia employee count even more.
    07-17-14 11:31 AM
    Anyone who didn't see this coming when Stephen Elop became CEO of Nokia and immediately through Symbian under the bus and ensuring MeeGo was D.O.A. was pretty short sighted.

It was clear Mr. Elop was there to gut Nokia from the very start and when the deal to sell to Microsoft closed, well that was the last nail in the coffin for the once might smartphone maker.

People may not like Mike and Jim very much around here, but when then Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer met with them and offered a similar deal to the one Nokia took, they sent him packing. We still have BlackBerry 10 today because Mike and Jim were committed to BlackBerry's independence and building their own platform.

I do not know if John Chen is as committed to BlackBerry or BlackBerry 10 so if Mr Nadella showed up today with a bag of Money like Mr Balmer did for Mike and Jim, we may see things turn out differently.
    FCSC and gokulesh like this.
    07-17-14 11:39 AM
    Yeah.. i love those spin doctors
    Well it's also spin to infer that BBRY only laid off 60 workers. Compare the percentage of the total workforce when comparing layoffs.
    07-17-14 11:49 AM
64 123