Probably the only thing Microsoft could possibly want is BlackBerry patent troves and one of the more prominent ones being the one on design of Ellyptic Curve Cryptography (ECC), which BlackBerry itself gained through purchase of Certicom. Other than that BlackBerry has no value add to Microsoft's existing business.
    Maybe... but then Microsoft has been researching ECC for about 25 years. Not sure the $4- $7 billion price tag would be worth what Certicom had.

The thing is I don't see $26 Billion for LinkedIn.... but apparently MS has been thinking about it, and with the stock depressed they jumped on it.

BlackBerry's stock has long been depressed...
    06-15-16 12:32 PM
    Maybe... but then Microsoft has been researching ECC for about 25 years. Not sure the $4- $7 billion price tag would be worth what Certicom had.

The thing is I don't see $26 Billion for LinkedIn.... but apparently MS has been thinking about it, and with the stock depressed they jumped on it.

BlackBerry's stock has long been depressed...
    LinkedIn is currently the dominant professional social networking system with all its flaws and whatnots. $26B is certainly eyebrow-raising size of acquisition. Microsoft had in the past attempted to get a foothold into social networking scene but with little success, I still remember Live Spaces back in the days. Facebook is currently the dominant one on general social networking. Google tried to rival Facebook quite not so successfully with Google Plus. With LinkedIn acquisition, now Microsoft has first-hand access to all kinds of analytics on the scene of professional networking and a foothold on social networking scene. Whether that is truly worth $26B is anyone's guess.

Other than patents and maybe QNX, I can't imagine anything Microsoft would want from BlackBerry.
    06-15-16 01:14 PM
    Microsoft is buying LinkedIn. Could BlackBerry be next?-img_20160616_060440.png

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-15-16 03:05 PM
    Hi, I'm new to this but I have a thought. Since Microsoft have bought LinkedIn to strengthen their position in the world of business.

Since they've done this and perhaps in the phone market they could squeeze out blackberry as they've theoretically got almost every aspect a business person could want.

So my question is because of blackberry's excellent security software could Microsoft buy it and absorb it to strengthen their overall security package?

Do you feel this could spell the end for blackberry as it did Nokia?
    In terms of a Software Company MS is WAY ahead of BB. Maybe not in Phone Management Software, but that is something they can handle on their own I am sure.
    06-22-16 03:19 PM
    Microsoft already offers services that compete with what BlackBerry offers, I don't see the benefit for Microsoft to be honest.
    1. Less competition to deal with
    2. Patents
    3. Blackberry security
    4. Blackberry government clients
    5. Synergy
    06-22-16 08:59 PM
    M$ can't even get their own phone business together and you think they may deal with another failing brand? Yeah no.
    06-23-16 08:42 AM
31 12