Malware on a BlackBerry???
    Not exactly. Rather, PC malware that would be harmless to the blackberry but could infect your PC or worse, spread to your enterprise servers. Formatting the card in the blackberry before you connect the bb to your PC neutralizes the threat. If BES systems start getting compromised, you can be sure that BES admins will begin implementing IT policies that disable Media Cards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 08:02 PM
    Hi Pete. Thanks for the research. I've just found an 8gb Sandisk micro sdhc card with the usb plug in reader on Amazon UK for �18.00 with the (expensive) postage. Seems a great deal so I'm going to upgrade from my 4gb card to 8, ostensibly so I can put more music on the phone.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you a question if you don't mine Pete, and i suspect that during your research you may have come noticed the answer.

Basically I have several of the songs on the Blackberry "attached" to other things - to give me specific ringtones for certain contacts, different messages etc. It would be a real PITA if I had to go and reset all of these after installing the 8gb card. When it comes I will obviously remove the current 4gb card and install the blank 8gb (to enable the Bb to format it). I will then remove the 8gb and copy all of the media onto it. My question is, when I install the 8gb card and fire up the 8320, and assuming that all of the relevant media is in a folder with the same name as it was in on the 4gb card, will the Blackberry find those media files and re-apply the settings to them (i.e. attach them to the various contacts etc) even though they're on a new card?

Phew, hope I've made what I'm asking clear there. thanks for reading anyway,
    07-21-08 04:58 AM
    Hi Pete. Thanks for the research. I've just found an 8gb Sandisk micro sdhc card with the usb plug in reader on Amazon UK for �18.00 with the (expensive) postage. Seems a great deal so I'm going to upgrade from my 4gb card to 8, ostensibly so I can put more music on the phone.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you a question if you don't mine Pete, and i suspect that during your research you may have come noticed the answer.

Basically I have several of the songs on the Blackberry "attached" to other things - to give me specific ringtones for certain contacts, different messages etc. It would be a real PITA if I had to go and reset all of these after installing the 8gb card. When it comes I will obviously remove the current 4gb card and install the blank 8gb (to enable the Bb to format it). I will then remove the 8gb and copy all of the media onto it. My question is, when I install the 8gb card and fire up the 8320, and assuming that all of the relevant media is in a folder with the same name as it was in on the 4gb card, will the Blackberry find those media files and re-apply the settings to them (i.e. attach them to the various contacts etc) even though they're on a new card?

Phew, hope I've made what I'm asking clear there. thanks for reading anyway,
    Steve, sorry for the delay. I was busy with CrackMem.

From what I read, there should be no problem providing, as you say, the folder and file structure is maintained exactly the same.

It is not a good idea to keep your current ringones on the Media Card. Why? When you connect to your PC, the phone cannot 'see' the Media Card and that means that the Profile will probably, but not always revert to Profile standard. Better by far to uses small ringtones and keep them on DEvice Memory. The sam applies to current wallpaper.
    07-24-08 03:44 PM
    I had two microSD to SD card adapters and 3 SD card readers. None of these adapters worked with the HC cards. ONly the new microSDHC USB adapter allowed my PCs to read/write he 4 and 8Gb cards. It worked with all cards.

If you wish to use a mocroDSHC card in your PC you need the compatible adapter. That is for sure.
    Just to make sure I understand...If I buy a new hc card, I need to get one with an adapter because the adapter i currently have may not handle hc cards.

Stupid question, I know. I just want to make sure I understand.

Does it matter what brand card I buy?
    07-24-08 09:20 PM
    Yes, you understand correctly. Pete has some comments re packaging and brands in his post, I believe. I have a 2GB Sandisk card.
    07-24-08 09:23 PM
    Oh, sorry. I must have missed it. I'll go back and read again.
    07-24-08 09:45 PM
    Just to make sure I understand...If I buy a new hc card, I need to get one with an adapter because the adapter i currently have may not handle hc cards.

Stupid question, I know. I just want to make sure I understand.

Does it matter what brand card I buy?
    I suggested that you buy a microSD card with an adapter because it makes life easier should you ever have to remove the card from the phone and plug it into your PC.

I have this product here from SanDisk the little red and black thing is a USB adapter.

I do not think that it really matters which brand you buy but there are a couple of brand leaders, Sandisk, Kingston who seem to make products that work on our phones.
    07-25-08 02:33 AM
    Thanks Pete. That is the exactly the set I'm looking to buy.

Out of curiosity, and because I don't like taking by mini card out, do people have problems reading their larger gig cards when they are connected to the computer via usb. I don't have any problems with my card supplied by Blackberry.
    Last edited by bknlcj; 07-25-08 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
    07-25-08 08:38 AM
    I have a BB Pearl 8100 and wonder if the SanDisk 8gig microSDHC will work in it? How does one figure that out?
    07-26-08 10:18 PM
    It depends on your OS Version. Look at Options/About. The third line will give you the version number. Then carefully read the first post in this thread and look at your version number in the chart at the bottom of the first post. Then you'll know.
    07-26-08 10:21 PM
    I keep getting a message that says the 4GB SD HC card I just bought has errors and to use a disk utility on my computer. Its brand new. Should I return it or is this an 8100 thing? I upgraded my OS to 4.5 and still same message. Uggh- just want one more weapon against the memory leaks. Thanks!
    08-01-08 11:35 AM
    if i install 4.5.0.81 or higher on a 8120 will the 16 gb work?
    09-18-08 11:19 AM
    I just received an 8gb Sandisk MicroSDHC from an ebay auction. Paid $31 plus $10 s/h for the card in an OEM blister pack. It included the Sandisk USB reader as well.

It works great in my 8330. It will be a while before I need more memory. It reads as 7.6gb.
    I've got an 8gb sandisk microsd formatted in my sprint 8830 that's only showing 7.3gb max...why am I missing 300mb??

09-18-08 12:12 PM
    If you formatted the disk yourself, I wouldn't worry about it. There may have been some bad "Sectors" that were removed from use by the formatter. If it came pre-formatted, I'd format it myself, just to make sure it didn't come preloaded with software I don't want.
    09-18-08 12:16 PM
    Look at the first post in the thread. The table at the bottom of the post will answer your question.
    09-18-08 12:19 PM
    I've got an 8gb sandisk microsd formatted in my sprint 8830 that's only showing 7.3gb max...why am I missing 300mb??

Probably the different definitions of megabyte and Gigabyte, depending whether you use binary or decimal multiples. Then some storage will be used by metadata.

1 Kbyte almost always = 2^10 =1024 bytes (not 1000 as the original prefix derivation)
    The binary megabyte is 1024 Kbyte
    The 'marketing slime' megabyte is 1000Kbyte
    Likewise, Gigabyte can be either 1024 or 1000 Megabytes.

A computer probably does all the calculations using the binary versions, but that doesn't yield such an attractive number for marketing purposes.
    09-18-08 01:34 PM
    That's what RIM say, so I'm inclined to got with them. However I have not seen 4.5.0.81 for your phone nor, have I yet seen a 16Gb microSDHC card on the market.

My guess is that we shall be overrun with the little devices before Christmas.
    09-18-08 01:53 PM
    Probably the different definitions of megabyte and Gigabyte, depending whether you use binary or decimal multiples. Then some storage will be used by metadata...
    I understand binary math, but that doesn't explain why one 8GB card would format to 7.6GB and another format to 7.3GB. That's what he's asking about, the missing .3G. I don't have an 8GB card, but I assume 7.6GB is the right value for an empty, formatted card.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-18-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: more info
    09-18-08 02:24 PM
    I understand binary math, but that doesn't explain why one 8GB card would format to 7.6GB and another format to 7.3GB. That's what he's asking about, the missing .3G. I don't have an 8GB card, but I assume 7.6GB is the right value for an empty, formatted card.
    This is what I'm asking about. Most people have reported a formatted capacity of 7.6, and mine is only reporting 7.3. It's a new 8gb card that I just got bulk packaged off eBay. On top of that, today my curve started slowing to a crawl until I took the memory card out! Did I get a funky card? Should I try reformatting it differently to see if that helps?
    09-18-08 04:13 PM
    If you formatted the disk yourself, I wouldn't worry about it. There may have been some bad "Sectors" that were removed from use by the formatter. If it came pre-formatted, I'd format it myself, just to make sure it didn't come preloaded with software I don't want.
    This is what I'm asking about. Most people have reported a formatted capacity of 7.6, and mine is only reporting 7.3. It's a new 8gb card that I just got bulk packaged off eBay. On top of that, today my curve started slowing to a crawl until I took the memory card out! Did I get a funky card? Should I try reformatting it differently to see if that helps?
    That's what I thought you meant. My answer quoted above is still valid. Reformat the card. I've haven't seen it reported, but it seems likely that there could be unwriteable areas on the chip that would be taken out of service by the formatter, just like on a hard drive. I have seen reports of large capacity cards taking a very long time to index, when large numbers of songs were copied. I don't know why a supposedly empty card would have that problem. Again, I think formatting is the answer, to get rid of anything that shipped on the card.
    If you'd bought the card at a store, I'd say return it. Look at Pete's first post in this thread. He has some things to say about bulk-packaged cards.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-18-08 at 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot what thread I was in!
    09-18-08 04:25 PM
    That's what I thought you meant. My answer quoted above is still valid. Reformat the card. I've haven't seen it reported, but it seems likely that there could be unwriteable areas on the chip that would be taken out of service by the formatter, just like on a hard drive. I have seen reports of large capacity cards taking a very long time to index, when large numbers of songs were copied. I don't know why a supposedly empty card would have that problem. Again, I think formatting is the answer, to get rid of anything that shipped on the card.
    If you'd bought the card at a store, I'd say return it. Look at Pete's first post in this thread. He has some things to say about bulk-packaged cards.
    I have tried reformatting, zero-ing out, and reformatting again (FAT32), but still the card is only reporting a max of 7.3gb. I put about 3.5gb of stuff on it, and my sprint curve slows to a crawl with the card installed. I think I might have gotten a fake card
    Last edited by eyespii; 09-18-08 at 06:56 PM.
    09-18-08 05:27 PM
    I have tried reformatting, zero-ing out, and reformatting again (FAT32), but still the card is only reporting a max of 7.3gb. I think I might have gotten a fake card
    Well, not a fake, but one with 300MB unusable out of 7 600 MB. Since it formatted, you should be able to use it.

09-18-08 06:52 PM
    I just recently purchased a Bold off ebay and I'm so excited to get a card for it. I know it comes pre-loaded with OS 4.6 so that means I have the option to get a 16Gb card. My question is, should I get class 2,4, or 6? I knkow that the first page of the forums mention that BB hasn't gone above class 2, but maybe that's changed with the bold?
    09-19-08 04:52 AM
    Just purchased 8Gb HDSC from Radio Shack for $40. On sale right now from $120.

Edit: By the way its a Sandisk, and comes with that little red and black USB reader. Good deal.

I will remember to reformat the card before attaching BB to my computer.
    Last edited by Philimon; 09-19-08 at 01:42 PM.
    09-19-08 01:35 PM
    Just purchased 8Gb HDSC from Radio Shack for $40. On sale right now from $120.

Edit: By the way its a Sandisk, and comes with that little red and black USB reader. Good deal.

I will remember to reformat the card before attaching BB to my computer.
    This sounds like the same product as I have.
    09-19-08 01:45 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD