I can't prove it but it sure sounds like Vincent has some high level setting on but the critical one off. Can somebody get him a screenshot of what he should verify in the settings?
    01-20-10 03:58 PM
    Wow this got way out of hand. I guess what I will have to do is just test it out. Turn encryption on and take some pictures and upload some files. It was my understanding that even if you already have files on the card that everything would be encrypted by enabling encryption. Maybe I'm wrong. When it comes to this aspect, im ignorant.
    01-20-10 08:41 PM
    The Bb won't encrypt files transferred using mass storage mode. You have to transfer the files using DM for the encryption to work. In my limited experience, the mass storage mode even has to be set for off or it won't work even when using DM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 01-20-10 at 09:05 PM.
    01-20-10 09:03 PM
    The Bb won't encrypt files transferred using mass storage mode. You have to transfer the files using DM for the encryption to work. In my limited experience, the mass storage mode even has to be set for off or it won't work even when using DM.

GOOD INFO thanks
    01-20-10 11:42 PM
    The only way to test this is to write a file on the card while in the phone, take out the card and try to read it with a card reader in another device.
    01-21-10 01:45 AM
    Just for grins, I turned set Options -> Memory -> Encryption Mode to Device
    and Options -> Memory -> Encrypt Media Files to Yes

Took a picture, since my pics are saved to the Media card. Changed the name of the pic to EncryptedOrNot, so that I could find it easily. Removed the card, and plugged into my PC. Now, on the card, in /Blackberry/Pictures I find all my unencrypted pics, from before, and this file:
    EncryptedOrNot.jpg.rem which nothing knows what to do with.

OK, copy the file to my PC, remove the .rem, leaving EncryptedOrNot.jpg, and nothing can view the file, since it seems to be an invalid jpg.

For me it seems to be proof enough that they are doing exactly what the docs say.
    01-21-10 07:51 AM

Now THAT'S something i neede to know. Thanks
    01-21-10 07:56 AM

Took a picture, since my pics are saved to the Media card. Changed the name of the pic to EncryptedOrNot, so that I could find it easily. Removed the card, and plugged into my PC. Now, on the card, in /Blackberry/Pictures I find all my unencrypted pics, from before, and this file:

OK, copy the file to my PC, remove the .rem, leaving EncryptedOrNot.jpg, and nothing can view the file, since it seems to be an invalid jpg.

For me it seems to be proof enough that they are doing exactly what the docs say.
    So the moral of the story is that vincent got all worked up for nothing?
    01-21-10 10:14 AM
    So the moral of the story is that vincent got all worked up for nothing?
    This "vincent" dude has been in every forum claiming to have "debunked" rims security features but the truth is he simply does not know how to use it correctly. Once you encrypt files on the device CORRECTLY, that's it, no one will be able to access them off the device. So if you lose your device, all your nudez are safe.
    01-21-10 12:53 PM
    Good point mookish. It actually took longer to say what I did than to actually do it. Maybe vincent does'nt even have a BB?
    01-21-10 03:31 PM

It would be nice if once you turned encryption on, it would encrypt everything that is already on the media card instead of encrypting from that point on. I bet some people are under the impression such as myself that this is what will happen if you did this.
    01-21-10 08:11 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD