Where did you get the info from ?

Can you refer any source? or can someone else confirm?

New Metro PCS BLACKBERRY Curve

So Metro PCS started offering the blackberry curve with an unlimitted voice and data plan for $50 / month includding BIS. and an additional $10 if you need BES.

How do you all think this is going to affect other carriers ?

I think competition will get tougher.

I know metro is small carrier but they are expanding fast and they have even mentioned about deploying LTE by 2010.

With the economy the way it is right now i believe a lot of people are going to start thinking of metro if they need a smartphone from now on.

Feel free to start commenting.

New Metro PCS BLACKBERRY Curve

So Metro PCS started offering the blackberry curve with an unlimitted voice and data plan for $50 / month includding BIS. and an additional $10 if you need BES.

How do you all think this is going to affect other carriers ?

I think competition will get tougher.

I know metro is small carrier but they are expanding fast and they have even mentioned about deploying LTE by 2010.

With the economy the way it is right now i believe a lot of people are going to start thinking of metro if they need a smartphone from now on.

Feel free to start commenting.

I think it's great you have the smaller players doing what it takes to gain customers. But I don't see it really doing any damage right now to the big two. Verizon, and At&t
    Last edited by Duvi; 03-13-09 at 08:51 AM. Reason: OP's post deleted. Added to first comment on page
    03-11-09 11:12 AM
    all i've been hearing about lately is metro pcs. in the hallways, in the elevator. people are excited
    there must be a catch
    03-11-09 11:13 AM
    Nope - Not when other carriers have the Curve for as low as 29.99 or even free with a Bogo. Metro wants 450$ for a phone that's basically 2 years old...

It wont work in all markets because Metro is AWS in the newer markets..And you'll have no coverage when inbetween markets without paying roaming.

3G is very limited on Metro so it'll mostly be using 1x speeds..

Again I dont know anyone foolish enough to pay 450$ for all those limitations. The national carriers have nothing to worry about.
    03-11-09 11:53 AM
    Coverage is a huge issue with Metro. Good customer service, extremely limited availability.

Personally, I'd be concerned with the lack of any type of contract. This month $50, next month $50, following month $85.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 12:14 PM
    Metro isn't going to steal large groups of customers from the other carriers, pretty much no matter what...
    03-11-09 12:25 PM
    Don't think they're going to do any damage period. It's a nice option for people that are already Metro customers though.
    03-11-09 12:26 PM
    where is this company?
    03-11-09 12:41 PM
    They are based in Dallas, TX

Check them out at Unlimited Wireless Service - MetroPCS

Most of their service offerings seem to have a similar target demographic to that of Cricket or Helio. You live in a large city and pretty much stay in town.

03-11-09 12:47 PM
    I just looked at the coverage map, and it does not even cover half my state.

As others have said in the past, you get what you pay for. And why is this in the Verizon Wireless forum anyway?
    03-11-09 01:11 PM
    The other problem is that you're paying $500 for a Curve. PLUS the other restrictions.

Ick.
    03-11-09 01:45 PM
    I would NEVER go back to METRO PIECE OF SH!T!! I'd rather pay my $100 a month to verizon with there amazing REPS! Metro has the worst customer serivce I have ever seen! EFF THEM!
    03-11-09 02:31 PM
    I would NEVER go back to METRO PIECE OF SH!T!! I'd rather pay my $100 a month to verizon with there amazing REPS! Metro has the worst customer serivce I have ever seen! EFF THEM!
    Come on, tell us how you really feel. Its okay, you're among friends.

03-11-09 02:44 PM
    Come on, tell us how you really feel. Its okay, you're among friends.

Oh I could go on for hours about how much I hate metroPieceOf****! but I will not do that to you all!
    03-11-09 03:00 PM
    I've never had them & they don't provision many tower contracts, so all I know is what a few people have told me. Generally I've heard their customer service is above that of Cricket, but below VZW or even Helio.

Helio is one that is very good - no BlackBerrys though. Just a very nice high-end dumbphone.

03-11-09 03:25 PM
    Lol Metro PCS is horrible! As is there horrendous slogan

03-11-09 05:03 PM
    I wouldn't mind seeing the prices for plans drop though!!
    03-11-09 05:10 PM
    Pre-Paid plans and no contract programs do not subsidize the cost of the devices like the larger carriers do.

The Blackberry Curve that Metro PCS is currently offering @ $450 is a previous generation device being sold at a higher price than the competition. The difference is the non-contract pricing...

If Metro PCS offers unlimited voice, data, messaging etc. @ $50/month & AT&T offers the same unlimited package for $129/month then you have a net difference in cost of $80/month.

Now the price of the equipment will determine your payback analysis... Metro PCS Blackberry Curve @ $450 & AT&T Blackberry Curve 8320 @ $100 with a net difference of $350.

When paying a difference of $80 extra per month for AT&T's unlimited plan, in 4.25 months you are even and have covered the cost of the Metro PCS phone.
    03-11-09 05:17 PM
    True stuff. The only other main factor is that you are paying for unlimited on Metro's network...

That factor alone makes the $50 a month less valuable than it sounds.
    03-11-09 05:53 PM
    Wow Metro PCS use to be the biggest fade in high school where you paid 40 for unlimited everything. I remember the service was only in one state and for any reason the call would drop. Its funny that there still standing strong how is there service now?

03-11-09 06:23 PM
    @ $449 i think that the comp will be alright. It's not like the other were it $449 and then u pay $299 for a 2 year. That's the price of the phone.
    03-11-09 06:25 PM
    Metro PCS is an off brand Sprint, Dont believe the hype!!! The people I know that switched to Metro PCS, switched back!!
    03-11-09 06:35 PM
    curves are cheaper to buy outright from at&t, they're $349. metro's price seems a little steep, especially if it's CDMA.
    03-11-09 07:14 PM
    Moved to general... more of a General question.

I don't think it is going to hurt AT&T and Verizon much, but Sprint and maybe even T-mobile more. I know a couple of people who say they can't leave their home area if they want coverage, or at least good coverage.
    03-11-09 07:37 PM
    I agree with Duvi. I too feel Sprint and T-Mob will be affected by this move by Metro PCS.
    03-11-09 07:43 PM
    If anyone is affected, it would be Sprint. But that's a big MAYBE.

MetroPCS has been around in Cali for about a year and a half now. My understanding is that their service isn't too great.

Funny thing happened once. A friend of mine who uses MetroPCS got a flat tire on the freeway. For those of you familiar with the OC area, it happened where the 5 and 55 meet. He tried to call someone for help. NO SERVICE.
    03-11-09 08:17 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD