Oh this gets even better boys and girls, I have been trying to get my GPS working on my $400 paperweight, come to find out that the $50 smart phone plan does not support GPS !!!!!! so not only can you not directly watch youtube no GPS based APPS will work on the Metro PCS Blackberry Curve 8330 ! I just spent another hour on the phone with Metro support. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DON’T GET A METRO BLACKBERRY !

**********UPDATE**********

Ok Metro PCS will only take the phone back if its under 30 days and you have less than 1 hour of talk time on the phone, good news is you can clear the call log on the Blackberry curve 8330 so they have no idea how much total talk time is on the phone... so as long as you are under the 30 days and the phone is in good condition you can bring it back !! YAY !! so i picked up the Samsung Finesse. Now this is the strange part, you have to put the same $50 smart phone plan on the Samsung phone that was on the Blackberry, they told me right out that the smart phone plan does not include GPS, so they have to be blocking the GPS on the Blackberry handset itself......I hope all the info helps some people it has taken me a week to figure it all out lol
    Last edited by wraith3845; 08-25-09 at 02:35 PM.
    08-24-09 07:53 PM
    GPS is absolutely supported on the MetroPCS 8330 - I use "Where" all the time, I also used BBM to track my progress through Wine Country the other day and I downloaded the trial of Garmin Mobile for Blackberry and it worked great too -

The MetroNavigator application which is available on the Finesse and on many other Metro phones is not available for the 8330 - So, perhaps if customer service stated that the 8330 does not support GPS that is what they meant, no MetroNavigator.

The Finesse and the BB 8330 are not on the same plan, though the plans cost the same amount - The Finesse is on the SMT plan and the 8330 is on the RIM plan - Chatlink, Loopt, MetroNavigator, Metro411 and Pocket Express are not included on the RIM plan, they are on the SMT plan.

As to applications that use GPS, like I said "Where" works pefectly - I use it to find Starbucks all over the bay area - and movies too - I am not sure what your difficulty was with it - Some applications don't work on the MetroPCS network because the author of the application doesn't have certain information (like vendor ID number, etc.) In fact, "Sitorsquat" does not currently work on the Metro 8330 due to the author not having the information he needs, I am trying to get that info from Metro because I would really like to use that application.

the biggest problem is that Metro CSR's know little to nothing about the 8330, which is no different than any other carrier when it comes to smartphones - In my experience with T-Mo and Sprint, the csr's knew nothing about the WinMo phones I was using (in fact one tried to convince me that the original Moto Q had built-in GPS).

Sorry about your frustration - and bummer you took back your BB!
    08-25-09 04:02 PM
    GPS is absolutely supported on the MetroPCS 8330 - I use "Where" all the time, I also used BBM to track my progress through Wine Country the other day and I downloaded the trial of Garmin Mobile for Blackberry and it worked great too -

The MetroNavigator application which is available on the Finesse and on many other Metro phones is not available for the 8330 - So, perhaps if customer service stated that the 8330 does not support GPS that is what they meant, no MetroNavigator.

The Finesse and the BB 8330 are not on the same plan, though the plans cost the same amount - The Finesse is on the SMT plan and the 8330 is on the RIM plan - Chatlink, Loopt, MetroNavigator, Metro411 and Pocket Express are not included on the RIM plan, they are on the SMT plan.

As to applications that use GPS, like I said "Where" works pefectly - I use it to find Starbucks all over the bay area - and movies too - I am not sure what your difficulty was with it - Some applications don't work on the MetroPCS network because the author of the application doesn't have certain information (like vendor ID number, etc.) In fact, "Sitorsquat" does not currently work on the Metro 8330 due to the author not having the information he needs, I am trying to get that info from Metro because I would really like to use that application.

the biggest problem is that Metro CSR's know little to nothing about the 8330, which is no different than any other carrier when it comes to smartphones - In my experience with T-Mo and Sprint, the csr's knew nothing about the WinMo phones I was using (in fact one tried to convince me that the original Moto Q had built-in GPS).

Sorry about your frustration - and bummer you took back your BB!
    i went into the local corporate store this morning and they told me GPS will not work on the 8330. maybe you got lucky, i have no idea, but there was nothing in the GPS menu for reset location, is your BB flashed or did you buy it from Metro ? or maybe it works in your Metro area, but not in the florida market. but i spoke to a rep on the phone who also said the BB will not work with GPS
    Last edited by wraith3845; 08-25-09 at 04:51 PM.
    08-25-09 04:45 PM
    Well - this is interesting - I guess I must have gotten very lucky _ I am using the "official" Metro PCS Blackberry, not a flashed model - It could be that when I upgraded my phone to a new OS (following the guidelines on this site) it may have ulocked the GPS on my phone - I have been using smart phones for years, but this is my first BB so I don't know enough yet to say conclusively what is going on.
    08-25-09 09:22 PM
    i wouldent do any software upgrades if i were you. they will chop the balls of your BB lol. also do you have the Insurance on it? if it has a custom OS it voids your insurance so be carful. hopefully some day they will activate the service and I can buy one again
    Last edited by wraith3845; 08-26-09 at 07:34 AM.
    08-26-09 07:27 AM
    Couple of quick notes

Firstly: I work for a MetroPCS authorized dealer. Not a Corporate store. (But we are a Warranty Center and Repair Center)

That being said, the RIM plan does not support MetroNavigator. Does it support the GPS...? Well, I will say this. I was told no. I've seen no indication of a GPS. But I haven't (yet... I will soon!) open a MetroPCS 8330 to see if it has the GPS chip. I suspect it doesn't, but I could be wrong.

Also, since I'm a Manager at the MetroPCS store I work at, all returns have to go through me. I'll make it VERY clear to you. You can NOT just wipe the call log and they'll have no idea what your talk time is, and if you did, that employee will get in a lot of trouble. There is a BackDoor way in the status menu that will tell the Representative if the call time is over 60 minutes (it won't give you an exact number, but it will say "Under" or "Over" 60 minutes.... I wonder what happens at 60 minutes exactly? ... Hrm...).

The 8330 is a good phone if you're a CrackBerry addict, or an Email junky. The r810 - while it supports GPS, isn't better beyond that... In my opinion. But I'm biased, I'll admit, for I love my BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry SmartPlan isn't the same as the Finesse SmartPlan, just to put it out there. They're different plan codes in the computer and support different features (IE - BIS). Thats why it doesn't support the MetroNavigator GPS feature.

As far as a Custom OS voiding your warranty - it depends on if its a software related issue or not. If it isn't - and they're giving you a hard time about it, just tell the REP its a custom theme.

Lastly,
    Allow me to apologize for your problems with MetroPCS. The person that sold you the phone should of explained that to you if you asked them. If you didn't ask them, I'm sorry - but we can't really be mind readers and know what you want from a phone. Thats why questions are good, and places like this exist!

Feel free to PM me with any further questions regarding the MetroPCS blackberry (or the services). I wish you a better day!

Edit:
    I just reread the last post - he said it voids the "insurance", not the "warranty"... That I'll admit I have no idea about, but it sounds pretty lame on their part. I dislike Asurion though, so again - I'm bias.
    08-27-09 09:06 AM
    The 8330m from Metro MUST have the gps chip because Blackberry Maps works as does Garmin Mobile XT and Where - I doubt seriousley that I got the one MPCS BB 8330 in the whole of the USA with an active gps chip in it...
    08-29-09 04:19 AM
    I just picked up my 8330 from metro pcs. My old company used the 8310 which I thought was ok. I initially was disappointed when I did not see the GPS logo on my new berry. Looking through the apps list I saw BB Maps and thought it was a mistake. Started BB maps program and within 2 min I had my location down to 10 meters. It works on mine. First run of BB maps can take a while to get a fix because it is typically seeing up to 12 new satelites for first time. I have two high end garmins that act the same way if I travel some distance a do a cold boot on them. Patience might pay off. Try it outside where 8330 has good line of site to open sky and try BB maps again. Select "my location" and give the unit up to 10 min to get the initial fix on the satelites. Here is my pin 30A872A8 BBM me if you still have any issues and we can delve into the problem deeper.

With att the BB maps program was blocked and there was no way I was going to pay att $15 to use att navigator. I think that program stunk when I tried it as a trial and found a free gps program with voice navigation. It is called "Amaze GPS" and it does a pretty good job and with all of us counting pennies the price is definately right!

Dewey
    Last edited by dewey32399; 08-29-09 at 09:42 AM.
    08-29-09 09:16 AM
    Hey - thanks! I just downloaded the Amaze GPS and it looks like an excellent program. I am heading into SFO tomorrow so I will give it a try next to my Sony GPS and see how things go. I thought the Garmin Mobile XT was a value at $100, but free is even better (if it works okay). Stand alone GPS does take a comparitively long time to get a fix, or at least it feels like a long time when going from something like Telenav that will use towers to get a quick fix. Anyway, thanks again!
    08-29-09 01:44 PM
    my 8330m works great with metro pcs... only thing i cant get to work is Trapster.... anyone know why? it's just not loading... idk if it didn't install right or what.... if anyone knows anything about trapster please help me out.... pin me..... private msg me..... whatever just help me out!!!! lol
    08-31-09 03:48 AM
    I use BB Maps with my Metro PCS 8330m all the time since I bought it 2 monts ago.Nav4All works ok too. Who said that the GPS chip doesn't work with Metro PCS?
    09-05-09 06:38 AM
    Can some one please help.

Well i purchased my blackberry 8330 about 3 weeks ago from metro pcs, and everything worked fine. My question is that about 3 days ago my blackberry map has been not working properly. The icon is still their, but when i click on it i cant see a map like i was able to a few days back. All i see is green and purple blocks. I can still search for adresses and it would give me a pint point location, but the map never shows; only the red pin. I can also check my location, but i am not able to see any map; only a red pin. I am able to zoom in or scrool out, but can not see any streets or countries like i was able to.

I recently downloaded google maps, but it can never find my location. if any one has a solution please help.

P.S
    i also heard that the blackberry map version 4.5.0, whic is the one i have, is just a beta version. If true, can this be the problem. or is google maps some how interfearing with blackberry mapps? or can it be that i accidently moved something in the options department? well if any one can help please do. thanx.
    09-08-09 11:46 PM
    Hi guys,

Maybe some here with more knowledge and direct experience can help me out on this.

I'm looking to get the BB8330 with MetroPCS. (any reps in south florida feel free to PM me) I need GPS with the ability to input several address (a route) on my computer (maybe google maps??) and then dl that to the BB8330 for directions

Is there a GPS app (on the MetroPCS 8330) that can do that? Does metro navigator?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Miron
    10-18-09 01:21 PM
    Hi guys,

Maybe some here with more knowledge and direct experience can help me out on this.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Miron
    I'd be glad to offer what help I can.

I'm looking to get the BB8330 with MetroPCS. (any reps in south florida feel free to PM me) I need GPS with the ability to input several address (a route) on my computer (maybe google maps??) and then dl that to the BB8330 for directions
    Google maps won't work. The downloaded application doesn't allow for more then a Start point and End point. And when you do it on the computer, the "Send to GPS" feature isn't compatiable with their mobile app. (Silly, isn't it?)

Theres a possibility I'm wrong on that, but.... More on that in your next question.

Is there a GPS app (on the MetroPCS 8330) that can do that? Does metro navigator?
    I'd look into specific GPS navigation programs at the Crackberry and Appworld websites, and see if any offer the features you need - and how much they cost. If the App works for the 8330, it'll work for the MetroPCS one. There is no block on the GPS chip like Verizon phones.

Sadly though - MetroNavigator won't work on Metro 8330. MetroNavigator is written for BREW, and the BlackBerry Software doesn't support BREW. It stinks, I know, but for a MetroNavigator LIKE program - I use Gokivo Navigator (Trial Version)... I say Trail, but it hasn't run out yet.

It does everything MetroNavigator will - however - I don't know of a way to create routes on the PC and load them onto the phone. Sorry.

Good luck! PM me if you have any more questions. I'm at work right now (Metro Store) so I apoligize if it takes a few minutes to reply.
    10-18-09 02:31 PM
    Guys I downloaded amaze gps and I could not use it becouse it said I need to get the full versio. I'm looking for a free gps that talks or atleast shows your progress as your walking ,driving,etc. Do yall know of any? Right now I have where and google maps. And haven't seen these specific features I'm looking for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 10:24 PM
    where do you find the where app at
    12-03-09 10:30 AM
    where do you find the where app at
    Go to where.com from your BB Browser and download it...
    12-03-09 07:35 PM
    I'm trying to get the @metro or the URL that the @metro use so I can get the metro pcs navigation, the mail@metro icon and my msn messanger .... I do have the internet and mms working. Any help?
    03-15-10 06:51 PM
    I'm trying to get the @metro or the URL that the @metro use so I can get the metro pcs navigation, the mail@metro icon and my msn messanger .... I do have the internet and mms working. Any help?
    There are no Blackberry versions of those apps, not even for the official MPCS 8330m - Sorry...
    03-17-10 07:13 AM
    I just read a press release indicating that MetroPCS is about to release their version of the Blackberry 8520 (or 9300?) which will be AWS compatible. Aside from no MetroNavigator (nor Metro BackUP) on the earlier release (8330 Curve), the RIM BIS Server only worked 50% compared to other carriers. Yes I was able to receive notification of email messages (via RIM's push technology) however, if I created and sent back a REPLY email message it "WOULD NOT" send back a copy of the correspondence to my email account. The workaround, I was able to find, was to Cc myself on all outbound emails so that I would have a permanent copy. I've not been able to confirm whether, or not, this new model will resolve that matter, nor what programs that had been omitted from the first release would, if at all, be included in this one. Furthermore, from what I've been told by local MetroPCS agencies, they've eliminated the camera FLASH. Something's just not appearing right because, unlike the 8330 which sold for over $320.00, this model is supposedly being released at, around, $279.00 with a $50.00 mail-in rebate ($229.00 total).

Anyone out there hear of, or know of, a company called Simple Mobile that allows you to activate any GSM phone (including IPhone) on their 3G network without any contract? Flat Rate? $60.00 with FULL features, nationwide coverage (wherever T-Mobil is available). No Taxes or surcharges either, and it includes whatever feature come on the GSM phone, including Blackberry models (e.g. 9700 Bold).
    07-07-10 06:44 PM
    I just read a press release indicating that MetroPCS is about to release their version of the Blackberry 8520 (or 9300?) which will be AWS compatible. Aside from no MetroNavigator (nor Metro BackUP) on the earlier release (8330 Curve), the RIM BIS Server only worked 50% compared to other carriers. Yes I was able to receive notification of email messages (via RIM's push technology) however, if I created and sent back a REPLY email message it "WOULD NOT" send back a copy of the correspondence to my email account. The workaround, I was able to find, was to Cc myself on all outbound emails so that I would have a permanent copy. I've not been able to confirm whether, or not, this new model will resolve that matter, nor what programs that had been omitted from the first release would, if at all, be included in this one. Furthermore, from what I've been told by local MetroPCS agencies, they've eliminated the camera FLASH. Something's just not appearing right because, unlike the 8330 which sold for over $320.00, this model is supposedly being released at, around, $279.00 with a $50.00 mail-in rebate ($229.00 total).

Anyone out there hear of, or know of, a company called Simple Mobile that allows you to activate any GSM phone (including IPhone) on their 3G network without any contract? Flat Rate? $60.00 with FULL features, nationwide coverage (wherever T-Mobil is available). No Taxes or surcharges either, and it includes whatever feature come on the GSM phone, including Blackberry models (e.g. 9700 Bold).
    Wow - lots to reply to. Hope I remember all the points and answer your questions.

Firstly, its the 8530, not 8520. As far as the functionality, the whole email outbound thing is something I find odd. That shouldn't have anything to do with Metro's end, but the BIS/EmailServer relationship. My Gmail stuff sends out, but my boss uses a company email via outlook at his does not show a copy in the "sent" folder. What Email provider are you using?

Beyond that, no. MetroNavigator/Backup will not work. They're written in BREW, and aren't compatible with the BlackBerry environment. That said - the GPS works, and the backup can be replaced with google sync which does the same thing for free.

That's what we're being told on the price, but the stores now charge $10 if you're upgrading and not getting a new number (as of Jan 12th this year). Also, it is -not- going to come with the MicroSD card (I got funny looks from the other employees when I expressed my disbelief, but it was done as a "cost save" measure to keep price down).

The only limitation Metro is putting in place - as far as I've been told, is tethering. BIS should function 100% (then again, so should your 8330. I'm curious as to what's up with that). Also, I won't know until I get a handset out of the box, but there is a possibility Slacker and Pandora will remain non-functional

I'll be happy to share more details when I get them.

Any other questions - or questions I missed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD