Sorry if this has been discussed, I've been searching for a while now and can't find any definitive answers.

When using the Storm2 WiFi, can you still receive your push email and PIN messaging? This would be a reason for me to upgrade from the Storm1 - at our remote tower sites we have WiFI access points but very poor cell service.

Thanks in advance.
    04-12-10 11:50 AM
    When using the Storm2 WiFi, can you still receive your push email and PIN messaging? This would be a reason for me to upgrade from the Storm1 - at our remote tower sites we have WiFI access points but very poor cell service.
    Yes. I do. What I do is when I am at the office, where there is poor reception, I let the device connect to the office's WiFi network, wait for it to establish (turn white) and then shut off my cell radio to save battery. I still receive my push emails like normal.
    04-12-10 11:55 AM
    Thanks Spyderman, do you still get your PIN messages? Not a big deal - mostly need emails to receive alarms from our sites while I am the sites. haha
    04-12-10 11:57 AM
    I would assume yes, as PIN messages are sent over the data network, right? I'm sorry but I can't answer that 100% as I do no receive PIN messages (at least I haven't while at work with only WiFi on). I receive BBMs with no problem as well, and I know those go over data and not cell network, so I would say yes to receiving PIN messages if they travel via data and not cell traffic.
    04-12-10 12:08 PM
    Great! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Have good day.
    04-12-10 12:09 PM
    You'll get all messages other than MMS or SMS.
    04-12-10 12:25 PM
    Yes, you can receive pin msgs too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 12:53 PM
    Yes. I do. What I do is when I am at the office, where there is poor reception, I let the device connect to the office's WiFi network, wait for it to establish (turn white) and then shut off my cell radio to save battery. I still receive my push emails like normal.

thats a helpful answer to remember, however, i was wondering too, if i travel overseas, pop in a local SIM card and enable wifi (while at some cafe), could i still get all my push emails Or would i have to have all my work emails fwd to my gmail and use gmail app to check thru wifi?

thanks.
    04-12-10 02:01 PM
    thats a helpful answer to remember, however, i was wondering too, if i travel overseas, pop in a local SIM card and enable wifi (while at some cafe), could i still get all my push emails Or would i have to have all my work emails fwd to my gmail and use gmail app to check thru wifi?

thanks.
    As Stated before the only messages you wont get via Wi-Fi are MMS and SMS you will receive all e-mails regularly on Wi-Fi
    04-12-10 03:00 PM
    As Stated before the only messages you wont get via Wi-Fi are MMS and SMS you will receive all e-mails regularly on Wi-Fi
    thanks for the clarification. i wasnt 100% sure since we all know how vzw can be especially how sometimes they lock certain things.
    04-12-10 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD