Can any other phone vendor compose a message in English, French and Spanish in the same body "natively"? Also can they do this accurately without spelling mistakes? We all know some have trouble getting English right.

This will no doubt be a huge plus for people who converse in these languages. Is BB10 able to select any three languages for messaging?
    01-18-13 11:57 AM
    I believe so. To all of your questions.
    01-18-13 12:08 PM
    I believe so. To all of your questions.
    If this is indeed the case, this one feature will bring a huge number of people to BB10. One of my French friends is switching to BB10 for this very reason. They are an iPhone user at present.
    01-18-13 12:13 PM
    I can type in other languages from my nexus.

लररुरकवमत

Jos� and sa� Juan

Нрпрдщзжбт

تبعبلعهت

pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
    01-18-13 12:24 PM
    I can type in other languages from my nexus.

लररुरकवमत

Jos� and sa� Juan

Нрпрдщзжбт

تبعبلعهت
    So the answer is no? The Nexus can do exactly what BB10 does in the messaging demo?
    01-18-13 12:26 PM
    my nexus can compose messages in several languages all at the same time. I think the answer is yes, bb10 can do that same
    01-18-13 12:33 PM
    my nexus can compose messages in several languages all at the same time. I think the answer is yes, bb10 can do that same
    So you have lets say English, French and Spanish set up as the three languages on your Nexus and you type a message and the first word is in English, the second word is French and the third Spanish without having to go out and select each language in turn? Just want to clarify this.
    el_excelsior likes this.
    01-18-13 12:41 PM
    ^^^^this^^^^
    01-18-13 01:21 PM
    So you have lets say English, French and Spanish set up as the three languages on your Nexus and you type a message and the first word is in English, the second word is French and the third Spanish without having to go out and select each language in turn? Just want to clarify this.
    I don't know for sure as I have never used a Nexus but judging by the pic posted by Howomart, it looks like you have to physically open the options and change the language. I do not believe that any other platform can do what the BB10 feature can. I could be wrong though as I have no proof to back that up.
    01-18-13 02:16 PM
    I can easily do this on my SG3 as well. One message, multiple languages. Switching languages is done by holding the space bar down and scrolling to the desired language.

Messaging in three different languages, BB10 the only one?-uploadfromtaptalk1358540587385.jpg
    01-18-13 02:23 PM
    I think the whole idea is that BB10 will automatically detect and adjust when you switch languages. Granted, this will only work with languages that use the same typography, but a whole range of languages uses the same Latin alphabet (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm no language scholar) as English. As far as I'm aware, no other OS can do this, although they still support switching languages, but will not do it for you automatically.
    01-18-13 02:27 PM
    Ok so it's confirmed... it's not the same. With BB10, you don't need to go and change the language input... just start typing in another language and it will recocgnise it and adapt.
    01-18-13 02:27 PM
    I can easily do this on my SG3 as well. One message, multiple languages. Switching languages is done by holding the space bar down and scrolling to the desired language.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358540587385.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	131739
    If you have to switch languages then it's not the same.
    01-18-13 02:31 PM
    correct i just long press the space bar and select a different one. It is different from BB10 which will switch to another language when typing. BUT im not sure how quickly BB10 will pick up on the difference on some languages either. From the demos it looks pretty quick.
    01-18-13 02:39 PM
    correct i just long press the space bar and select a different one. It is different from BB10 which will switch to another language when typing. BUT im not sure how quickly BB10 will pick up on the difference on some languages either. From the demos it looks pretty quick.
    So then what's the point of saying your nexus does it when you know rightly it doesn't? My 9900 also does what the Nexus does by pressing two buttons. But none of them are intelligent to know what language you intend to type on.
    01-18-13 02:44 PM
    So to sum up this particular feature is unique to BB10.

Just wanted to get my facts right before educating my French relatives
    01-18-13 02:54 PM
    I think the whole idea is that BB10 will automatically detect and adjust when you switch languages. Granted, this will only work with languages that use the same typography, but a whole range of languages uses the same Latin alphabet (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm no language scholar) as English. As far as I'm aware, no other OS can do this, although they still support switching languages, but will not do it for you automatically.
    Thanks. I misunderstood what the OP was asking for. I'd be curious to see how this works for similar, non-Latin script based languages.
    01-18-13 02:59 PM
    I just tested this using SwiftKey, the engine that drives the BB10 keyboard. You can indeed start typing in different languages without switching keyboards as long as you have the language pack downloaded. I started typing a few words in English then switched to Spanish. After the first Spanish word, the predicted words were in Spanish as well. Switched back to typing in English, and then the predicted words were back to English.
    howarmat, rjkolo and bp3dots like this.
    01-18-13 03:20 PM
    So to sum up this particular feature is unique to BB10.

Just wanted to get my facts right before educating my French relatives
    Speaking of language input, the other unique feature would be that Z10 is reported to launch with 33 languages, while all other devices support over 55.
    01-18-13 03:29 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358540587385.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	131739
    It's not the same as BB10, right.
    It seems fairly easy and handy though (I've seen the gesture on a video), so will this feature make a real difference for the users, we'll see in a couple of weeks now
    01-18-13 03:31 PM
    The spacebar is only needed to switch the keyboard layout in the event the keyboard would need to be different. You can still switch languages on the fly by simply typing in a different language.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-18-13 04:08 PM
    I just tested this using SwiftKey, the engine that drives the BB10 keyboard. You can indeed start typing in different languages without switching keyboards as long as you have the language pack downloaded. I started typing a few words in English then switched to Spanish. After the first Spanish word, the predicted words were in Spanish as well. Switched back to typing in English, and then the predicted words were back to English.
    awesome, i honestly didnt try actually typing in 2 different languages. So it does just like bb10 then.
    01-18-13 04:23 PM
    So the difference then is that BB10 has it baked in and in the SG3 it has to be downloaded? Does it cost money?
    01-18-13 05:02 PM
    So the difference then is that BB10 has it baked in and in the SG3 it has to be downloaded? Does it cost money?
    Correct. I paid for SwiftKey a couple years ago and it's followed me across devices, so I can't remember how much I paid, or even the differences between the free and paid app. I think maybe with the free version you get pop ups asking you to upgrade every so often.
    01-18-13 05:06 PM
    Google and Nexus seem to have lost this one!! Blackberry's language input is appearing to be superior.
    thekidshop, bigbadben10 and rjkolo like this.
    01-18-13 05:06 PM
112 123 ...