I apologize if this is elementary stuff, but I'm new to BlackBerry and smart-phones in general, having owned my TMO Curve since mid-November.

I think I just received a spam message (actually, I know I did) but I'm not quite sure I understand how this arrived on my phone.

The return address for the message is 44577. I tried to see if I could get more information via the header, but I don't have that option, leading me to think this is some sort of SMS message, rather than an e-mail message. The message itself is clearly junk, asking me to sign up with GatorArcade.com. Googling them I find they are some sort of cell-phone gaming site.

I have a spam filter set up on my TMO e-mail address so I know it couldn't have come via that e-mail account.

So what do I have here? Is this an SMS message? If so, how did it get to my phone if I have a spam filter on my TMO address?

Again, sorry if this is simple stuff, but I'm just trying to figure it out. I don't want to receive this SMS crap because each one costs me $.05. Thanks in advance.
    12-30-07 02:10 PM
    Filters aren't perfect, sometimes stuff slips thru.
    12-30-07 06:01 PM
    My wife who has the chocolate device from verizon got a text message from a email address the other day about sex and dating, I knew it was spam but I didn't know why she got it since it was a email address it came from but was a text message on here phone, I called Verizon and they said they are logging these and I will not be charged, he said that is is not a big deal and I would not be charged for it. but I questioned is this something verizon is allowing on there network he said no but what companies are doing is using your number you maybe have used on a form or what ever and not calling you but using you phone as a recipient of text messages... Figures my junk to get us consumers......
    12-30-07 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD