I'm interested to see what happens regarding push notifications and headless capabilities. If I'm gonna be forced to use android apps then they better work like native apps.!

I want to see hub integration where necessary, matching my current bb10 experience. If BlackBerry and amazon don't execute this well then we're going to have a botched OS and ecosystem.

Overall I think the amazon store will do more good than bad, as long as there is some degree of quality control implemented by blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    This

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:01 PM
    As a Native developer from the beginning for me it is hard to believe that BB will force us to port or even code in Android so our apps will run on BB10. Why would I do that? Why would anyone buy BB to run Android apps?

I've enjoyed developing native BB10 apps. It's cool, fun and challenging. This might be the end.
    06-18-14 09:14 PM
    Guys, remember that your Android vs native experience argument is based on the present. Opinions on the Amazon partnership is unintelligent at this point. No one in the forums has gotten the chance to run a fully baked 10.3 OS yet. The Android experience may be flawless by the time 10.3 is public. We just don't know. So I think that rational is invalid until proven otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 and web99 like this.
    06-18-14 09:18 PM
    Movie/Music downloads are being removed shortly - this has been announced officially.

We don't know for certain, but it does point to a full winding-down.

Posted via CB10
    I think it is probably a condition for having Amazon on & it makes sense. The reason is that Amazon has much better variety compared to BlackBerry World so why duplicate & be redundant?

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    06-18-14 09:24 PM
    Only BlackBerry users in canada and USA care for music and movie downloads.

Most of the world dont see them in their region's BlackBerry world anyway.

Whats important are hub integrated apps which can only be done natively.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-18-14 09:46 PM
    Guys, remember that your Android vs native experience argument is based on the present. Opinions on the Amazon partnership is unintelligent at this point. No one in the forums has gotten the chance to run a fully baked 10.3 OS yet. The Android experience may be flawless by the time 10.3 is public. We just don't know. So I think that rational is invalid until proven otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    Its not flawless until we get push notifications from these android apps. Unfortunately push notifications rely on google services.

06-18-14 09:47 PM
    I think it signals a separation of consumer and enterprise. I think that BlackBerry is going to let Amazon handle all the games, songs and movies. Anything that enterprise would need that would have to be secure would be checked out and sold would be sold through BlackBerry world. Most companies that needed their employees to have a secure phone probably wouldn't allow their employees to download apps from the Amazon app store.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty and guygardner73 like this.
    06-18-14 09:51 PM
    Does anyone know if having the Amazon app store means that push notifications from the Android app will work on our BB10 devices?

All I really want is a Sports app and a Weather app that allow for push notifications, like sports breaking news ( like the score used to offer) or a Thunderstorm warning from a weather app. Currently there is nothing like either of these apps in BlackBerry World and it has been over a year since BB10 launched. (I know that Beweather works with push weather notifications but not for those north of the border).

Personally, I welcome the choice assuming that push android notifications will now work on our BB10's. Don't get me wrong though, given the choice between a working native app and a working Android apps, I would chose Native...key point being 'working' and apps like The Score never worked properly. It was perhaps the Slowest app i've downloaded from BlackBerry World. Miss the push notifications but not the app itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:54 PM
    Does anyone know if having the Amazon app store means that push notifications from the Android app will work on our BB10 devices?

All I really want is a Sports app and a Weather app that allow for push notifications, like sports breaking news ( like the score used to offer) or a Thunderstorm warning from a weather app. Currently there is nothing like either of these apps in BlackBerry World and it has been over a year since BB10 launched. (I know that Beweather works with push weather notifications but not for those north of the border).

Personally, I welcome the choice assuming that push android notifications will now work on our BB10's. Don't get me wrong though, given the choice between a working native app and a working Android apps, I would chose Native...key point being 'working' and apps like The Score never worked properly. It was perhaps the Slowest app i've downloaded from BlackBerry World. Miss the push notifications but not the app itself.

Posted via CB10
    Id like to know this for sure too.

06-18-14 11:07 PM
    Native developers, please keep doing what you do!

Posted via CB10
    gebco, Shadowyugi and bobo616 like this.
    06-18-14 11:15 PM
    Was thinking of getting a Z30 to hold me over but this news is causing to hold off.

If BlackBerry is going Droid I will have no reason to stay with BlackBerry.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    You say this as if it's an option between android apps vs native BlackBerry apps for your phone. Sorry, in most cases that's not the option. It's android app vs no app. If you want the pre-Amazon BB10 experience just don't download any apps from the store.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    06-18-14 11:19 PM
    If you primarily bought a BlackBerry for a ton of consumer apps and games, you picked the wrong device. If you picked a BlackBerry for best in class communications, security, or essentially any other thing a smartphone can do, then you made the right choice. Android apps are there to provide the few deal-breaker apps that some people need.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    +OVER 9000 for the excellent logic.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 11:31 PM
    Agree with the OP. I've had Snap and the Amazon app store on my device and I very rarely use them. I also go native and have invested money into this ecosystem and will continue to do so.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    vvvhhh8 and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-18-14 11:42 PM
    If I want to run android apps I'll buy an HTC one m8.

Nothing else to say ...

Envoy�e depuis mon BlackBerry Z30 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Witmen and trsbbs like this.
    06-19-14 12:13 AM
    If you primarily bought a BlackBerry for a ton of consumer apps and games, you picked the wrong device. If you picked a BlackBerry for best in class communications, security, or essentially any other thing a smartphone can do, then you made the right choice. Android apps are there to provide the few deal-breaker apps that some people need.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    I bought a BlackBerry 10 device for a unique experience. Like I've already said, I have Android devices. I don't need a pretend Android, nor do I need or want a ton of apps.

I personally would like for BlackBerry 10 to have a wider selection of native applications that, you know, actually take advantage of the unique features of BB10 fully. Things like cascades, hub, flow and push notifications. That way using BB10 would feel like a new, unique, and fully-fleshed out experience, instead of it feeling like I'm using a crippled Android device with a MeeGo launcher installed on it. But I guess it's too much to ask for.

I know, BlackBerry can't force developers to make native applications for BB10, but this whole Android runtime garbage has made it even less likely that that will ever happen. The Android runtime has made native application development a suckers bet, so I don't blame developers, I blame BlackBerry.
    anon(1035135) likes this.
    06-19-14 12:18 AM
    I am thoroughly disappointed with this android thing going. yes they will be running much better than what it is now in 10.3 but the native apps are the real thing.. Cascades are just so good...

While they say they are more on enterprise side, communication side... just look around.. do we have Microsoft office? Google Maps or a better native ones? Do we have a Skype that integrated across the system?

They are just better off as being MDM player. They should stop saying we are enterprise apps driven or we want to do something for consumer like Amazon deal.

Its all finished guys.. BB10 is dead which was long overdue. Infact now I feel the whole android thing and costly devices at first place messed up all.

To native developers, I don't think that it makes any financially viable platform or rather even doesn't have any hopes. So I guess on a professional note, dump it. But on a personal note, make more for us since we love that.

I don't care how well they integrate amazon in bb10.. they apps would not be like native. No developer would disagree with this.

At the same time, I still think there is a place for 4th competitor, apple has its own space, android too much dirt now and windows.. well except Tiles UI, rest all is waste of space. It look ugly.

So my Z10 would not have a blackberry(read android app driven) successor. I am still evaluating. Probably want to give windows a try or will go for apple.
    06-19-14 02:05 AM
    As a Native developer from the beginning for me it is hard to believe that BB will force us to port or even code in Android so our apps will run on BB10. Why would I do that? Why would anyone buy BB to run Android apps?

I've enjoyed developing native BB10 apps. It's cool, fun and challenging. This might be the end.
    This
    06-19-14 03:12 AM
    Its all finished guys.. BB10 is dead which was long overdue. Infact now I feel the whole android thing and costly devices at first place messed up all.
    Indeed, it is unfortunate to say but BB10 is likely dead. It no longer supports a native software ecosystem, which is the fundamental basis of every operating system.

Say what you will but there are no meaningful advantages whatsoever to using BB10 anymore over a BB10 skinned Android. The entire security argument is pretty irrelevant to consumers plus a BB10 Android app launcher, while possibly more secure than actual Android, likely isn't more secure than using the native apps on either Windows Phone or iPhone. If Blackberry has wizened up and intends to stay in handsets, it is probably prepping an actual Android device with Google Play and the full Android experience.

On the bright side, Blackberry has done a big favor to its fans. Without the Amazon appstore, the current lineup of Blackberry devices will lack significant functionality. Blackberry could have easily abandoned BB10 or handsets altogether and left users with nothing; but, if BBW support ceases now, at least users will still have the Amazon appstore.
    06-19-14 03:30 AM
    You all are seeing it Black&White!

Here is a developer view on this:
    BBRY have a very small user base compared to Android and iOS. That mean, that apps are not downloaded in the same amount as on other platforms. I'm not talking about iGrann, Snap2Chat and others, these are social platform apps, and by the nature of it's service providers, they just have to be popular (even faulty BlackGramm is still in the top and gets downloaded). People want content, people want entertainment and fun, as a result many utility and productivity apps (mainly what BB was all about for a long time), doesn't get enough traction. This is not because people don't want these apps, it is because there is not enough BB10 users. And that leads me to the real example:
    BBW "Top free/paid" apps chart is based on 1) rating 2) download/purchase count
    An app with 100 downloads and one 5star review can be higher, than an app with 200 downloads and no reviews at all.
    At the same time, 3-4 star apps with thousands of downloads can be at the very top, while 5star apps with few downloads at the very bottom.
    What does it all mean from the metrics perspective? Download amount matters!
    Every time I open BB Vendor Portal, I pray not to see a 1-3 star review (and any app, even perfect one, can receive those), because with download amount of several hundreds, a single bad review can throw my app out of the chart, giving me several days of 'zero downloads'.

BBRY-Amazon deal can potentially bring more customers to BB10, that mean, potentially more downloads for native apps, that mean, more reasons to develop native.

Another thing I'm looking forward to, is the diminishing of 'fart' apps amount. Every platform have those, but Android have the most. I hope, that with official Android support there will be less crapy and useless 5 min native apps, giving more room for more serious devs.

Look at it this way:
    Amazon App Store can be a 'All you can find' place, while BBW is like a 'Enterprise and quality apps'.
    Not a bad thing, if you'll ask me.
    KingOfQwerty, Vorkosigan and web99 like this.
    06-19-14 05:17 AM
    I knew the Android runtime would hurt native app development. Many of us called this from day one. It was only a matter of time.
    We were not listened to, sadly
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    06-19-14 05:25 AM
    1. This will flush out all the ports (read: crap) from BBW and native apps will have good visibility for present BB10 users
    2. The crowd attracted by Android compatibility will eventually find out the superiority of native apps and their integration with OS (notification and headless) and moves towards native apps. (Discount the free app downloaders)
    3. If the enterprise side gets traction and enterprise app program moves forward, experienced and top class native app developers will get in to business with BlackBerry or Enterprises.

On negative side, I see some user dispatch who like full Android experience and native developer also who can't compete in this changing scenario.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    06-19-14 06:15 AM
    I know, BlackBerry can't force developers to make native applications for BB10, but this whole Android runtime garbage has made it even less likely that that will ever happen. The Android runtime has made native application development a suckers bet, so I don't blame developers, I blame BlackBerry.
    Over the past year I've emailed about 30 companies about bringing their apps to BB10. I've always got the same answers: "BB only represents 1% of our users…" "There are not enough BB users to justify the investment.." I have NEVER had a single company say "BB10 already has an excellent android runtime so we won't bother making a native app." So while I love native apps as much as anyone, I can't sit here and pretend that the android runtime has been the issue.
    06-19-14 09:41 AM
    If you care about your private information I would stick to the native apps, Android apps are too intrusive, and if you opt out of their permission's you are not able to run the program. The BlackBerry apps seem to come with a little better look, speed, and security.
    06-19-14 09:51 AM
    Over the past year I've emailed about 30 companies about bringing their apps to BB10. I've always got the same answers: "BB only represents 1% of our users…" "There are not enough BB users to justify the investment.." I have NEVER had a single company say "BB10 already has an excellent android runtime so we won't bother making a native app." So while I love native apps as much as anyone, I can't sit here and pretend that the android runtime has been the issue.
    What are your thoughts on the developers that supported BB10 with native apps, but are now killing the BB10 version and releasing a Android version instead?

You really think the Score app deveopler switched from native to Android on BB10 because of low user numbers and not because of the Android runtime crutch?

Sorry, but you'd have to be in denial to believe that the Android runtime hasn't hurt native development on BB10. It isn't the only issue, but it is a big one. Truth be told, even if BB10 was a relevant platform and it had more users, developers would still be wasting their time making a native app when they could just build one Android version and release it on way more devices.
    06-19-14 10:06 AM
    What are your thoughts on the developers that supported BB10 with native apps, but are now killing the BB10 version and releasing a Android version instead?

You really think the Score app deveopler switched from native to Android on BB10 because of low user numbers and not because of the Android runtime crutch?

Sorry, but you'd have to be in denial to believe that the Android runtime hasn't hurt native development on BB10. It isn't the only issue, but it is a big one. Truth be told, even if BB10 was a relevant platform and it had more users, developers would still be wasting their time making a native app when they could just build one Android version and release it on way more devices.
    First off the score app was adobe AIR not cascades.....it was dressed up to look like cascades, but BlackBerry are dumping Adobe AIR.....so Score gave us their existing android port because they didnt have the money to build another app in cascades.......

I recommend educating yourself before saying stuff like this.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:11 AM
147 12345 ...