I want you guys to know that if you build a native app I will ALWAYS use it over a android port. I'm sure many others agree. Keep pumping out these apps and I will buy and use them.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:06 AM
    Yeah, something tells me that we can forget about native BlackBerry 10 development now.

Only a fool would waste resources coding an app specifically for BB10 while BlackBerry is advertising Amazon app store and Android apps for BB10. According to BlackBerry, the Android apps are good enough. As a developer, why do more work than you need to when Android apps are obviously good enough?

It's unfortunate. I have Android devices, I didn't buy a BlackBerry to run Android apps.
    kgwhat, anon8091350 and swapnilsj like this.
    06-18-14 10:18 AM
    I want you guys to know that if you build a native app I will ALWAYS use it over a android port. I'm sure many others agree. Keep pumping out these apps and I will buy and use them.

Posted via CB10
    ^ this, I will buy a native BlackBerry App first before android, if there's no app then I will use an android one until a BlackBerry one gets made. I'm sure lots of others feel the same. There is still money to be made making native apps.

Posted via CB10
    Mr_F, Loc22, DocDRM and 5 others like this.
    06-18-14 10:45 AM
    ^ this, I will buy a native BlackBerry App first before android, if there's no app then I will use an android one until a BlackBerry one gets made. I'm sure lots of others feel the same. There is still money to be made making native apps.

Posted via CB10
    Agree

Posted via CB for Z30
    06-18-14 10:46 AM
    Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:55 AM
    Isn't this a recognition that most businesses only develop for two systems anyway? All you ever hear advertised is "download for Ios and Android today" BS. Business wants to reduce costs when they sell to consumers and developing for multiple platforms is costly. I'm sure most businesses would be happy developing only for one if they could get away with it. (yet at the same time differentiating their products and arguing for choice for consumers. Yet more BS).

At the end of the day I hardly use any apps. I hope the ones I do use remain supported. If not then it looks like BlackBerry will become just a secure Android device. That will be a sad day.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 11:28 AM
    Ditto!

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-18-14 11:45 AM
    Yep native apps please!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 11:47 AM
    It's pretty much over for native apps guys. They're winding BlackBerry World down right now.
    06-18-14 01:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even if the BB app is $5 while the Android app is $2 or free with ads?
    06-18-14 01:21 PM
    Even if the BB app is $5 while the Android app is $2 or free with ads?
    If it's Native and a 2-3 dollar price difference yes I would pay that on BlackBerry App World. Depending on the app and how well its built I would pay more as well (say a good sports app)

I personally feel if the developer has made a decent product then I would pay for that.

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-18-14 01:29 PM
    Will these amazon app store act as an native apps??

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 02:12 PM
    It's pretty much over for native apps guys. They're winding BlackBerry World down right now.
    No not really. Native apps will always be the better option for BB10 devices if their quality apps are better than the Non-Native counterparts. Native support has in no way been removed.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    06-18-14 02:17 PM
    Yeah, something tells me that we can forget about native BlackBerry 10 development now.

Only a fool would waste resources coding an app specifically for BB10 while BlackBerry is advertising Amazon app store and Android apps for BB10. According to BlackBerry, the Android apps are good enough. As a developer, why do more work than you need to when Android apps are obviously good enough?

It's unfortunate. I have Android devices, I didn't buy a BlackBerry to run Android apps.
    I beg the differ. Even though I think the joint venture between BlackBerry and Amazon is good for BlackBerry eco system, native apps will and always be my number one choice so native devs please code away.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    06-18-14 02:49 PM
    If it's Native and a 2-3 dollar price difference yes I would pay that on BlackBerry App World. Depending on the app and how well its built I would pay more as well (say a good sports app)

I personally feel if the developer has made a decent product then I would pay for that.

Posted via CB10
    CascaRun!

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    06-18-14 02:50 PM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 02:51 PM
    No not really. Native apps will always be the better option for BB10 devices if their quality apps are better than the Non-Native counterparts. Native support has in no way been removed.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    Movie/Music downloads are being removed shortly - this has been announced officially.

We don't know for certain, but it does point to a full winding-down.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Deckard79; 06-18-14 at 03:08 PM.
    06-18-14 02:52 PM
    Movie/Music downloads are being removed shortly - this gas been announced officially.

We don't know for certain, but it does point to a full winding-down.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Originally BlackBerry App World never had that to begin with, so really they are going back to where they begin with just apps and games. Videos and movies weren't even supported to begin with in most countries

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-18-14 03:01 PM
    Talk is cheap people.

Wait till your praised BBRY developer doesn't have the money or resources to ensure the app works properly with every update.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 03:06 PM
    Huh? Originally BlackBerry App World never had that to begin with, so really they are going back to where they begin with just apps and games. Videos and movies weren't even supported to begin with in most countries

Posted via CB10
    Well, I don't know for certain. I just get the feeling it really looks that way.

That and the rumoured job cuts...

Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    It sure seems like they are winding it down. They are even encouraging developers to move their apps from BlackBerry World to the Amazon App store. Why in the world would they do that if they planned on keeping BlackBerry World around long term?

The rumour about the job cuts is far more believable than it was yesterday.
    ddeacon likes this.
    06-18-14 03:11 PM
    It sure seems like they are winding it down. They are even encouraging developers to move their apps from BlackBerry World to the Amazon App store. Why in the world would they do that if they planned on keeping BlackBerry World around long term?

The rumour about the job cuts is far more believable than it was yesterday.
    From what I can tell people are misunderstanding that statement.
    Because that article was directed to android devs, BB is saying that they no longer have to port apk to bar file to submit to BBW
    They could go from BBW to amazon store where they can just simply submit a working apk which is not dependent on gsf
    By doing so, they will not only reach out to BB users, but also android users that use the amazon store
    Does that make sense?
    06-18-14 03:18 PM

If you primarily bought a BlackBerry for a ton of consumer apps and games, you picked the wrong device. If you picked a BlackBerry for best in class communications, security, or essentially any other thing a smartphone can do, then you made the right choice. Android apps are there to provide the few deal-breaker apps that some people need.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    goku_vegeta, anon8091350 and web99 like this.
    06-18-14 03:18 PM
    I knew the Android runtime would hurt native app development. Many of us called this from day one. It was only a matter of time.
    06-18-14 03:25 PM
    Thanks mch! That is the best explanation I have read. This simply removes the need for never-updates-anyway ports in BBW.
    As long as there is some for of checking if the app will run on the 1:1 ratio devices.

And I totally agree with the others: native will always be my preferred choice, even at a price. I am sorry to hear it will probably not be viable anymore, but if BB10 ever picks up and the usefulness of native APIs becomes better understood I hope native development picks up again!

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-18-14 03:30 PM
147 123 ...