Please bear with me...I just gotta get this off my chest!

Hopefully there are more people out there who agree that, cell phone providers are dangling a carrot in front of us in regards to internal memory...let me explain.

I have a BB Pearl (8120) that I am addicted to and wouldn't convert back to WM for anything. But, BB is cursed (just like WM phones) with the lack of internal memory. Why is it that I can purchase a 4GB Micro SD card for file storage but, "they" can't squeeze the same amount into the phone's internal memory? My conspiracy; a marketing scam.

I've been known to go out and purchase the next level of memory, whether it be RAM or ROM, just because it's new and bigger (no I'm not compensating for anything else!). I've been a gadget geek for years now owning every thing from a PS3 to my...yes I admit it...calculator watch. I even have my old Radio Shack TRS-80!!

But this memory thing really chaffs my @$$! Now for the obvious question. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reason why phone manufactures can't (or won't) cram more memory into their phones? I've tried to install a few programs on my phone and the memory allocation gets under my skin.

Please, educate me, laugh or at least give your 2 cents.

Thanks
    09-18-08 02:37 PM
    Iphone? But we love our bb's. Sigh

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 02:45 PM
    It is specifically the Pearl that has issues. The Curve has double the memory of the Pearl. Along with all the crap that carrier's load on the device that you don't need. CrackBerry's memory optimization is how i beat this problem...
    09-18-08 02:49 PM
    first of all: i LOVE your avatar! benny rocks.

secondly, this is my first BB and i haven't had any memory issues at all. i do have the VZW Curve which has "32MB RAM/96MB Flash Memory." i have about 8 apps and a few launchers and a VZ Nav app that takes up a bit of memory.

that is what i like about VZW. they may be the last to get a device but they do have upgrades to it when they finally DO release it.

i don't know if other carrier curve owners have memory issues like the ones pearl owners seem to ALWAYS have.
    09-18-08 02:53 PM
    It is specifically the Pearl that has issues. The Curve has double the memory of the Pearl. Along with all the crap that carrier's load on the device that you don't need. CrackBerry's memory optimization is how i beat this problem...

Not on GSM carriers it does not. Our Curves were released a long time ago when they had just 64 MB.
    09-18-08 02:56 PM
    I just connected to DM, removed everything i will never use and never had an issue.

there is alot of preloaded stuff on there and i have a bunch of different apps installed and use a 4gb card for media storage.

I found out this helped alot.
    09-18-08 02:58 PM
    To me it makes good business since not to release it all at once.
    09-18-08 02:59 PM
    Forums Moderator Reed McLay has a very informative post on the forum that explains the memory architecture of the processor family that RIM has historically used. The short and over-simplified answer to your question is that 64M is the max that the processor they chose back then could support, and changing processors is sufficiently non-trivial that they have put it off as long as they could. Search for his post and you'll find the details and supporting data.
    09-18-08 03:27 PM
    Not on GSM carriers it does not. Our Curves were released a long time ago when they had just 64 MB.
    Thanks Garz, good to know...
    09-18-08 03:57 PM
    Thank Jeff, I cant even find a post buried that deeply.

Howevery, your summary is right on the money.

ARM architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ARM architecture (previously, the Advanced RISC Machine, and prior to that Acorn RISC Machine) is a 32-bit RISC processor architecture developed by ARM Limited that is widely used in embedded designs. Because of their power saving features, ARM CPUs are dominant in the mobile electronics market, where low power consumption is a critical design goal. ...

Program code had to lie within the first 64 Mbyte of the memory, as the program counter was limited to 26 bits because the top 6 bits of the 32-bit register served as status flags. ...
    BlackBerry Bold - 624 MHz Marvell Tavor PXA930
    Marvell Technology Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Founded in 1995 by a husband-and-wife pair of Indonesian Chinese immigrants that met at UC Berkeley, Marvell currently has more than 5000 employees. ...

All the generations of XScale are 32-bit ARMv5TE processors manufactured with a 0.18-m or 0.13-m (as in IXP43x parts) process and have a 32-KiB data cache and a 32-KiB instruction cache (this would be called a 64-KiB Level 1 cache on other processors). They also all have a 2-KiB mini-data cache.
    The current processor of choice has a full 32 bit address bus, enough to address 4 Gb of data directly.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-18-08 at 04:02 PM.
    09-18-08 03:59 PM
    Yeah, the memory thing was an issue for me for a moment. Then, I found a certain guide by certain someone, and everything was gravy after that.
    09-18-08 09:15 PM
    Long live Stoner. It am still trying to get used to the name change. It's takin' me a minute...
    09-18-08 09:21 PM
    Stoner has checked into rehab. I am covering for him while he recovers from his faculties. Just like a big bro should.
    09-18-08 09:33 PM
    Long live Stoner. It am still trying to get used to the name change. It's takin' me a minute...
    Me as well Severe. Although, Reed McLay has a very debonair sound to it.
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 09-18-08 at 10:43 PM.
    09-18-08 10:37 PM
    Me as well Severe. Although, Reed Mclay has a very debonair sound to it.
    I guess my Mother thought so too.
    09-18-08 10:39 PM
    Ha ha ha. Yay for Mother.
    09-18-08 10:44 PM
    Thanks for all of the advise and comments but, I don't think I explained exactly what my issue was. The fact that there are 2, 4 & 8GB (very small) Micro SD cards that could easily be installed in our phones for internal memory. I'm the type that likes to try out various software and due to the memory, I can load only a few at a time.

I did the memory cleaning that was mentioned previously and gained over 9MB.

One thing I liked about WM phones were, you can chooses if you want to install (certain) programs on the SD card or internal memory. No some programs need to be installed on the internal memory like PIMs but, games and other non-vital programs can be installed on the SD card with no problem.

I noticed that there is a software package out there that allows you to move program files from your internal mem to a card.

I was venting on the fact that phone manufactures are not willing (as of yet) to install at least 1GB of internal mem on their phones...other reason why Apple is ahead of the game.
    09-19-08 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD