I can get with that, but what is actually using it???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Simple answer? Everything.

The apps you run, the daily operations you perform on your phone - IE texting, making voice calls, etc. - All this uses memoury. So then when you pull your battery or clear your event log or whatever it is you choose to do, you gain back/free up some of the memoury that was used during the day by these simple operations.
    07-16-08 09:47 AM
    Ok. I have this worked out in my head, hopefully this comes across correctly:

The memoury doesn't necessarily "disappear" or "go anywhere." It is simply being used. So when you do a battery pull or optimize or whatever it is you do to get your memoury "back," you aren't really getting it "back," per se, you are just freeing it up, hence, making it available again.
    Memory never really 'goes anywhere' or 'disappears'!! (exactly like you said!!)

Memory is allocated for use by your OS or the program. When there is a memory leak, the memory is allocated but never recovered when it is done being used. That is the difference between a leak and normal usage. Some things, such as call logs, messages, and the likes use up the memory and it remains in uses until you clear the log... obviously

*EDIT* Or, in most cases, only some of the memory is recovered (that is why it causes the bleeding, as AG stated above. That would be the technically proper term!)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-16-08 at 09:52 AM.
    07-16-08 09:50 AM
    Just to add to the tip Creed posted........

Another culprit for "lost" memory is the "Content Store". I tend to do a lot of downloading, installing, and uninstalling. This loads a lot of install and application information into the content store. And the kicker is you can't clear it from your handset. Using the DM to clear that database usually nets me 2-4 Megs.
    07-16-08 09:50 AM
    Another little trick with the event log....

Go into the event log and press the menu button and go to options.....
    scroll down to any of the check boxed items, press the menu button and choose "hide all types". All of the check boxes should changed to unchecked.

Press the menu button again and choose "save". The event log won't save anything from that point.

I hope this helps. Let me know
    Ouch!!!! I saw that log. Megabandit has showed me where everything is. Now, with that being said, would that be safe to uncheck all of those options?? Anyone out there has done this part before??

07-16-08 09:51 AM
    awesome tip!! thanks!

~m
    07-16-08 09:51 AM
    As much as I love the functionality of my Berry, I find it annoying to have to mind memory like I did back in the days of DOS and Win3.1.
    07-16-08 09:53 AM
    Just to add to the tip Creed posted........

Another culprit for "lost" memory is the "Content Store". I tend to do a lot of downloading, installing, and uninstalling. This loads a lot of install and application information into the content store. And the kicker is you can't clear it from your handset. Using the DM to clear that database usually nets me 2-4 Megs.
    That's what I'm talking about!! You all are answering the magic question now, WHERE?? Yes!!!! I didn't know that Adam!! Thanks!!!

Ouch!!!! I saw that log. Megabandit has showed me where everything is. Now, with that being said, would that be safe to uncheck all of those options?? Anyone out there has done this part before??

I save on Debug Info on mine, no problems here.
    Ok, I'm not going to be here all day and explain this: some memory does leak into the event log, but the majority of the leak is due to the JVM(Java Virtual Machine) that interprets the byte code. This is caused by a number of things but the main one being caused by leaks due to infinite loops. I'm not going to go any farther or I'd be here all day, and I'm on WAP. But there IS a memory leak, and there's an answer for you.

07-16-08 09:54 AM
    i've been using my BB with the entire event log unchecked for as long as i can remember with no negative effects. i would say it's safe. I believe the event log is generally of no use for most people since all we do is clear it anyway
    07-16-08 09:55 AM
    Ok, I'm not going to be here all day and explain this: some memory does leak into the event log, but the majority of the leak is due to the JVM(Java Virtual Machine) that interprets the byte code. This is caused by a number of things but the main one being caused by leaks due to infinite loops. I'm not going to go any farther or I'd be here all day, and I'm on WAP. But there IS a memory leak, and there's an answer for you.

Thank you also Crucial.

07-16-08 09:56 AM

I just tried it - I'll let you know....
    07-16-08 09:57 AM
    i've been using my BB with the entire event log unchecked for as long as i can remember with no negative effects. i would say it's safe. I believe the event log is generally of no use for most people since all we do is clear it anyway
    I'm on it Bandit!! Thanks!!

07-16-08 09:58 AM
    Good tip(s)...Thanks
    07-16-08 09:59 AM
    Yeah, no problem Apollo. It's a great question, and a valid one to say the least. It's pretty complicated, because you start getting into the inner workings of the device. But you should be happy, because you taught a lot of people something they never knew. Good job Marine!!!!

07-16-08 10:02 AM
    As much as I love the functionality of my Berry, I find it annoying to have to mind memory like I did back in the days of DOS and Win3.1.
    Then do not get caught up in all of the memory worries and fret about minding your memory!! The average user is fine if they do some minor optimization then let their Berry be. Under normal usage you should be able to oprate fine (with a battery pull from time to time...)

And, you are fortunate to have the 8330, with 96Mb onboard device memory!! You should really have no worries... it really concerns the Pearl and GSM Curve users, etc.
    07-16-08 10:07 AM
    I have a Pearl; how can I do this? I really need to free up memory!
    07-16-08 10:12 AM
    I have a Pearl; how can I do this? I really need to free up memory!
    Follow the link in bmcclure's sig. It really does make a world of
    difference

Edit: or mine. Forgot it was there for a minute
    07-16-08 10:15 AM
    my event log was a mile long
    everything ive done was recorded
    but it seems like i got back 1 or 2 mgs
    my memory went up to18mgs from 12mgs
    I was just thinking... is everyone positive all of this memory is being recovered because of the Event Log being cleared...?

After clearing the event log and pulling the battery, all of the recovered memory may not be from the log. Even without clearing the log, you should recover memory when doing a battery pull.

Just curious, because I am not sure how to exactly pin down how much the log recovered when you are pulling the battery afterwards. I did not notice a significant increase in file free at all And I know many others have not noticed a large increase either.

I am wondering how long these event logs have piled up to make such a memory mess! Have you ever done a wipe and re-install on your device to start fresh? Upgrade OSes? Anything like that? Just wondering, because people are reporting that this recovers between 2 and 6 megs... and I recovered under 1 Mb... lol!
    07-16-08 10:22 AM
    Edit: or mine. Forgot it was there for a minute
    haha...

that made me chuckle when I read back through and saw the edit! hahaha
    07-16-08 10:23 AM
    Good tip(s)...Thanks
    I like that user name but I dare ask how you got it!! LOL!!!

07-16-08 10:24 AM
    Where? The answer to that is simply AWAY.

Try thinking of it in terms of your PC. You open an app
    and it needs resources to run (memory). When you close
    that app you would expect it to return most if not all
    of those resources. Some do, other do not.

Same with the BB. Maybe leaking is a bad term and it
    should be memory bleeding, but there are some apps,
    Viigo for instance that are notorious for degrading
    available memory.
    Thanks AG!! I'm glad I got a spark out of everyone and had some of you trying to figure out how to explain it. But hey, u all have came together and gave me some good scenarios of WHERE!! I like that!! Thanks!!!

07-16-08 10:30 AM
    Great tips! Thanks very much Apollo. The tip someone else provided (sorry, don't have that page up right now) about hiding the event log also will be great, since eliminating logging events will continue to save memory without having to clear the log manually each day. I saved 4MB myself!
    07-16-08 10:31 AM
    Then do not get caught up in all of the memory worries and fret about minding your memory!! The average user is fine if they do some minor optimization then let their Berry be. Under normal usage you should be able to oprate fine (with a battery pull from time to time...)

And, you are fortunate to have the 8330, with 96Mb onboard device memory!! You should really have no worries... it really concerns the Pearl and GSM Curve users, etc.
    Oh, for sure. But the first thing I did was load it up with apps, themes, and junk. Once I realized the memory limitations, I cleaned house, including the original wallpapers, languages, everything. Now I have plenty of room - provided I don't overdo it.

Still, my point stands. I hope RIM finishes playing with tweaks to the old OS and creates a more modern replacement. It didn't matter against Symbian, Palm, and WinMo, but the new competition, iPhone and very, very soon Android, don't have such limitations. Of course, security is an issue with the iPhone, but that should be sorted out eventually, as will new OS bugs with Android.

If RIM is to stay competitive beyond the next couple of years, it needs to get a modern OS on the market and get the issues sorted out before Apple and Android do it first and steal RIM's marketshare. Don't forget, Apple is showing off a slider/QWERTY keyoard iPhone to select company execs. Their weapons are drawn and they're sighted in - on RIM.
    Ok so perhaps I am reading this wrong, but I don't quite understand the way you phrased this. What is "they?" Is that the memoury leak??

And if I am reading this correctly, you want to be convinced that the memoury leak actually exists, yes? Well, that is simple. Read your available mem at the beginning of the day, then read it at the end. If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.
    Ok I think I understand now.

You are asking specifically where this memoury goes?

Please bear with me, it is still early here in AZ.
    Ok. I have this worked out in my head, hopefully this comes across correctly:

The memoury doesn't necessarily "disappear" or "go anywhere." It is simply being used. So when you do a battery pull or optimize or whatever it is you do to get your memoury "back," you aren't really getting it "back," per se, you are just freeing it up, hence, making it available again.
    Simple answer? Everything.

The apps you run, the daily operations you perform on your phone - IE texting, making voice calls, etc. - All this uses memoury. So then when you pull your battery or clear your event log or whatever it is you choose to do, you gain back/free up some of the memoury that was used during the day by these simple operations.
    I'm sorry, it was killing me: memory
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD