I have the 9630 Tour and am wondering if my device is suffering from a memory leak. I rebooted my device last night and had roughly 105MB of free memory. I have BerryBuzz enabled and berryweather activated during boot. I have Google Sync set to manual and nothing else on my list of apps started since the reboot. This morning I was touching 104MB, which seems reasonable and still I have not started any other app on my device. Getting to work the memory started to decrease little by little and now I'm sitting at 98.43MB. Is this normal?

Only weird thing I've noticed... Google Sync pops up for a brief second upon reboots even though I have it to sync manually. To add to that this morning when I arrived at work Google Sync popped up with a white screen for no apparent reason before it closed itself a second or two later.

The apps I have installed are:

BerryBuzz 2.1.37
    berryweather 2.0.54
    qsms 0.1
    Bloomberg Mobile 1.9.11.5
    FileScout 1.5.0.0
    GMail 2.07
    Google Maps 3.2.1
    Google Sync 0.5.15
    meters 1.2.0.47
    Poynt 1.4.2.72
    QuickLaunch 2.12.4
    AOL IM 2.5.30
    BBM 5.0.0.33
    Facebook 1.7.0.22
    Shazam 2.0.14
    edocrab 1.0.0.7
    Sprint Navigation 2.8.0.1195
    Viigo 3.1.489
    Yelp 1.3.0
    12-04-09 10:35 AM
    Yes memory loss like that is normal, and can be MUCH worse. I would not worry about it.
    12-04-09 10:37 AM
    Viigo will be a good start, I had it twice and both times it slowed my phone down alot and ended up being deleted. I would just do a battery pull every few days. Either way no matter what app you have installed, memory is going to go down like a PC.
    12-04-09 10:39 AM
    See what worries me is that I haven't even touched any apps and memory is already getting used up... I haven't been able to go a few days to see how low it drops before having to reboot due to new apps or upgrading of apps, but I'll try to see how far it goes starting now.

While I have Viigo installed, I haven't started it up since the reboot from last night. Shouldn't memory stay constant if you don't do anything with the device?
    12-04-09 10:45 AM
    Keep in mind that you're Browser, Message center, and BBM are one of the few apps that will be always open so memory is going to be used always.
    12-04-09 10:47 AM
    Do you leave AOL IM open?
    12-04-09 10:49 AM
    I'm with pkcable, yes memory loss on these phones is normal and yours doesn't sound bad at all. I've personally had much worse. One thing that I've seen people try when having errors/memory issues/etc., is backing up their information, deleting their third party apps, and slowly readding them one at a time to see if they can pinpoint specifically which one is causing the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 10:53 AM
    I put a lot of time into assisting members with memory management issues on BlackBerry and have developed a lot of respect and confidance in the Sun Java VM at the heart of the device.

When you restart, all of the tempory cache files that were created to optimize the operation of the device are flushed. As it runs, those files are rebuilt as needed, using the available memory. When the data is no longer current, it is released and reclaimed by the VM software.

The only time it ever become an issue, is when the amount of free memory drops below the Media / Options / Device Memory Limit (5 Mb on later OS versions). When that happens, data is flushed in an effort to continue normal function.

Many members have expressed surprise when I mention I almost never have to do a battery pull. In fact, it is not uncommon for my BlackBerrys to go several months between resets.
    12-04-09 10:53 AM
    flstormchaser528: that I understand, but since the reboot from last night all I did was send maybe 3-4 BBM messages, text 3-4 messages, and load up like 2 sites on the browser. This was all done last night and memory then was still around what it had started out with from the reboot. It wasn't until this morning when the drop occurred.

SevereDeceit: believe it or not, I rarely use AOL IM and no it is not loaded.

JayKayBee: wiping and installing has crossed my mind, but it's going to be a last straw thing as I haven't bled out all memory yet. That and I have BES set up and that'd be such a pain to deal with.

Reed McLay: while what you describe makes perfect sense to me in that the system uses memory to cache, what I don't understand is why it would starting building a cache to what seems like a random time to me... if this drop in memory is caused by caching. I actually follow your "philosophy" of not needing a reset of the device... only problem is this whole BlackBerry thing is new to me and I'm still checking out all the available apps. Really peeves me to have to reboot when installing AND uninstalling apps.
    12-04-09 11:17 AM
    Viigo and themes always leaked so I keep one theme on the device and no more Viigo.
    12-04-09 11:22 AM
    Its normal. After a fresh reboot, I'm sitting around 150 mb. With regular usage it drops to around 140 mb. A drop in 10 mb is normal.

12-04-09 02:55 PM
    *sigh* I've always liked Viigo!

dragonsamus: damn, 150?! How did you get it so high?
    12-04-09 03:00 PM
    Personally, I like Viigo. But by default, it does update itself every 2 hours if it's running, even in the background. You can change that. It will take up whatever room you allow it to. it comes with a lot of RSS feeds and a couple of podcast feeds. You need to do some heavy pruning. And you can also reduce how many unread articles it will get per feed, and how many total articles it will keep (unread plus read).

And to the OP: you still have more memory free than an empty Curve.
    12-04-09 03:06 PM
    I don't use too many apps. I just have:
    Google maps
    Opera
    Bolt
    Speed test
    Aim
    Bbnotepad
    Memopad
    Tasks
    Calculator
    Passwordkeeper
    Bbtetris
    Bbm

12-04-09 03:07 PM
    I have the 9630 Tour and am wondering if my device is suffering from a memory leak.

The apps I have installed are:.....
    Any of your apps that create a cache will use up memory on your BB.
    Any apps that run in the background, especially net connected apps, will be downloading info will use up device memory, unless they have the option of saving what they download to your SD card.

And of course all apps that are not shut down, will be using memory like it's no bodies business. For me I notice that the web browsers and google maps save some hefty sized cache files. If you don't need addresses and searches saved in google maps, might be wise to flush it's cache often.

Viigo I noticed when I was trying it out, had a lot of things already setup, which downloaded all the time. Those RSS feeds add up quickly, and I tend to use my computer to read those anyway. So turning off or deleting anything you don't actually need/use. really should help a lot in the case of Viigo.
    12-04-09 07:02 PM
    Any of your apps that create a cache will use up memory on your BB.
    Any apps that run in the background, especially net connected apps, will be downloading info will use up device memory, unless they have the option of saving what they download to your SD card.

And of course all apps that are not shut down, will be using memory like it's no bodies business. For me I notice that the web browsers and google maps save some hefty sized cache files. If you don't need addresses and searches saved in google maps, might be wise to flush it's cache often.

Viigo I noticed when I was trying it out, had a lot of things already setup, which downloaded all the time. Those RSS feeds add up quickly, and I tend to use my computer to read those anyway. So turning off or deleting anything you don't actually need/use. really should help a lot in the case of Viigo.
    Thanks for a more detailed explanation of what one can expect from running apps. My issue is that memory seems to be going down even when apps haven't been started... I suppose memory leaks would bring the system's free memory to zero over time and because I have yet to witness that I can safely say that I'm okay for now. I'll give it a few days without a reboot or battery pull to see if memory stabilizes at a point or if it drops to zero.
    12-04-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD