Hi, I'm due for a new phone soon (blackberry of course) and I was just wondering if all blackberrys have memory leaks or if its the storm 1? I currently have the storm 1 and I'm really over all the memory leaks. I'm thinking of getting the bold 9700, does it suffer memory leaks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 12:46 AM
    Most blackberries have some type of memory leak, but the severity of it usually depends on the OS thats loaded onto the phone. I own a 9700 and I don't have much of a memory leak running the latest official OS.
    04-21-10 12:48 AM
    Some loss of startup memory is normal for the phones as they work through the day. A loss of 10megs or so is ordinary.

Memory leak is a major loss due to an app or other process that is not releasing memory once the process ends. The 9700 has plenty of memory to run lots of apps without real worry. If you note a large loss on a daily basis then there is a a reason for concern. Otherwise not to worry.
    04-21-10 08:45 AM
    The BB is based on Java which is notoriously bad at handling memory efficiently.

How do you know you're seeing a real memory leak as opposed to the natural ebb and flow of Java garbage collection?
    04-21-10 08:53 AM
    It has to do more with the software rather than the hard ware, mainly i notice bigger losses of memory when i have the fancier themes, if just running stock its pretty stable. That and when i leave ubertwitter running it seems to leak slowly, i average about 8.1 mb lost in about 18-20 hours of runtime. Which is not bad, the phone starts getting buggy around 15mb lost because that takes the free mem down to about 75mb.
    04-21-10 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD