I have a Pearl 8130, and of course I have been having memory issues. You know the issue where it clears out the call log/SMS log. It really irritates me because I do not have a lot on my BB (due to this problem). My question is: Is this common with all BB's, just a Pearl issue, or am I doing something wrong?
    10-26-08 08:41 PM
    It can be common on any device where the user hasn't done enough to manage their free memory. It can also be caused by faulty apps. Facebook, and Viigo are the two most common apps right now that have been causing people issues. If you have either, try deleting them.

Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    10-26-08 08:49 PM
    You can also download a program called Maxmem (BlackBerryTrade.com Mobile) which deletes some of the preinstalled apps that you don't want or you won't ever need. I've used it in the past and it worked great. It freed up quite a bit of memory for me.

Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory.
    I have to disagree with this comment to some degree. While a BB will delete items when it runs low on memory, I've found I can have a much less amount of memory and still not have it delete anything on me. I have an 8830 and I frequently drop to about 4 500 000 bytes with nothing getting deleted on me. Maybe different models treat memory issues differently.
    10-26-08 10:02 PM
    You can also download a program called Maxmem (BlackBerryTrade.com Mobile) which deletes some of the preinstalled apps that you don't want or you won't ever need. I've used it in the past and it worked great. It freed up quite a bit of memory for me.

I have to disagree with this comment to some degree. While a BB will delete items when it runs low on memory, I've found I can have a much less amount of memory and still not have it delete anything on me. I have an 8830 and I frequently drop to about 4 500 000 bytes with nothing getting deleted on me. Maybe different models treat memory issues differently.
    Not all users are diligent in managing their memory. Easier to tell them to have more than enough file free than needed, than to have them on the bubble of repeating the same mistake and complaining about it again.
    10-26-08 10:10 PM
    Just follow suncasts advice. Maxmem works great.
    10-26-08 10:19 PM
    I know there's been a lot of threads on this forum about memory issues. It kind of got me scared, but I wasn't worried about it unless it happened to me.

I got my Sprint Curve in August, and when I first started using it, it had approx. 46 million bytes of file free space. First couple weeks of usage it dipped as low as 36 million bytes, but I wasn't worried at all and didn't change the way I used the phone. Just cleaned out my cache and did a battery pull once a week and it brought it back up to around 46 million bytes free. Then I took the advice from one thread and disabled the logging in the phone. Now my File Free hovers around 41 million, fluctuates on it's own, and I haven't done a battery pull in almost a month! It runs fast, no problems! And I don't have a lot of added apps other than what came with the phone.

Just have Gmail, Facebook, Google Maps, Opera Mini, Sprint TV, CB Launcher, and AIM.

This being my first ever BB, I can't complain about the phone at all! This is the first phone I have ever owned that I am 100% satisfied with, no complaints about the OS, it doesn't run slow, it's the most reliable and stable operating phone I have ever used. That says alot!
    Last edited by TvTechGuru; 10-27-08 at 01:46 AM.
    10-27-08 01:38 AM
    How do I find the memory usage on my Curve?
    12-15-08 01:25 PM
    Options then click on status

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 04:37 PM
    Oh...and for the record, the only time I have over 12 of memory is right after a battery pull. I have logged out of everything that drains memory and my phone still blows when it comes to memory.

I haven't lost any messages or call logs yet, though. I have seen my memory as low as 3 mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD