is there a difference where to keep all files, such as music and videos. If I keep everything on internal memory will it slow phones performance or it does not matter? I have bb torch, thank you.
    04-05-11 12:57 PM
    I believe it does effect phone performance, so I always try and put any information on my SD card before I touch the internal memory.
    Last edited by flipkc; 04-05-11 at 02:04 PM.
    04-05-11 01:02 PM
    I believe it does effect phone performance, so I always try and put any information on my SD card before I touch the internet memory.
    Don't know if it affects performance or not, but it is safer to keep your data on the card in case the phone gets fried ... your pics, vids and music will most likely stay intact there. Still, it's a good idea to back them up anyway.

That being said, I do keep the one image I use as a wallpaper internally. The quirk inside me says internal memory will be accessed faster, but I really don't know if it makes any difference other than the wallpaper being shown even when the phone is plugged in.
    04-05-11 01:50 PM
    The less free memory the device has, the less memory it has to perform its tasks, so in the long run, yes, it would diminish performance (hence why so many of us shrink the OS before installing it).

Now on the Torch's case (and also Storm and Curve 3G if I remember correctly) the phone has a separated storage space just for media (4GB on the 9800). If you mean that, then it should be fine.
    Last edited by diegonei; 05-10-11 at 07:59 AM.
    04-05-11 02:01 PM
    It is always a good idea to keep all your media on the Media Card. That's its name and that's what it's for.

The exception is, of course the current ringtone set which should always be kept in Device Memory so that the phone always has access to them regardless of whether the phone is in Mass Media Mode or the Media Card has been removed from the phone.

So, put all your music, photos abd videos on the Media Card and configure the camera to store its images and videos on the Media Card.

By doing this, you will give the phone the maximum memory for normal working and appications.
    04-05-11 02:39 PM
    To agree with many others on here.... The memory card is the best choice in my opinion. You can swap it out when you upgrade and carry your files with you or god forbid, if your berry tanks you have everything saved on a removable card.
    04-05-11 05:02 PM
    In addition to what everyone else said the advantage of keeping media on a media card is you have greater storage space. You can use a 32gb card.
    04-05-11 05:27 PM
    The less free memory the device has, the less memory it has to perform it's tasks, so in the long run, yes, it would diminish performance (hence why so many of us shrink the OS before installing it).

Now on the Torch's case (and also Storm and Curve 3G if I remember correctly) the phone has a separated storage space just for media (4GB on the 9800). If you mean that, then it should be fine.
    I believe You may be confusing ram with memory. Ram is what gets used when you have an app open. Memory is simply storage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 07:16 PM
    Using the internal memory should not impact the performance. Since OS 6 however the JVM also utilizes the flash memory to cache objects (not only the RAM), so you probably want to leave a bit of free space just to be sure...
    04-05-11 10:45 PM
    Using the internal memory should not impact the performance. Since OS 6 however the JVM also utilizes the flash memory to cache objects (not only the RAM), so you probably want to leave a bit of free space just to be sure...
    Ahhh. I didn't know this about OS 6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 11:25 PM
    I believe You may be confusing ram with memory. Ram is what gets used when you have an app open. Memory is simply storage.
    Could be... But the performance I get with a standard OS (which uses more storage space, not necessarily using RAM, since it does not makes things run) is far behind of when I shrink the OS (removing stuff I don't need and using less space).

Just my experience, I might be wrong, but I keep my device as clean as I can and it works for me.
    04-06-11 09:24 AM
    Hi Guys

I am really new to Blackberry phones, had a iphone but now work has made it standard for everyone to have BB. I did check if they come with SD card but our stupid IT dude forgot (he claims he didnt know) but the media card is locked. I have two questions

1) any ways to unlock the card (it is the corporate policy) and it is ticked in the admin tools software which the guy has but he wont change it as he needs his bosses approval.

2) it shows i have 118mb free memory, is there a way i can put two files of 25mb each which are MP3 files which would solve my train ride issue. I tried to email and store these files but the stupid email got blocked by our server due to its type.

Please help very new to BB
    05-08-11 05:33 PM
    1. No. And circumventing or even attempting to circumvent your employer's restrictions is a good way to separate yourself from your employment. Wait to get permission.

2. If your employer supports it, you can use Roxio Media Manager to access the BlackBerry's device memory. (Roxio Media Manager is part of some versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.) Then you can copy them from the computer to the device memory. The BlackBerry Email system won't support attachments that large so it wouldn't matter if your employer is blocking it or not.

Best advice is to get your own device and then you can do whatever you want and not worry about the "stupid IT dude" or the "stupid email".
    05-08-11 05:53 PM
    It will affevt the performance of the phone because it's the RAM/ROm that keeps the phone's performance smooth.
    05-10-11 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD