Sorry, im new to this site so if i should take this thread elsewhere let me know...

Im on a curve 8330 and im trying to get my PNY 8GB micro SDHC card to work. It was installed properly and when i turn on the phone it says I need to format the card. Ok, thats simple enough right? Go into options>media card, set "media card support" to "on", "encryption" to "none", "mass storage mode" to "on" and "when connected" to "yes".

Then i bring up the options and hit "format card", then i hit "yes"....

THEN MY ENTIRE PHONE FREEZES AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING (granted, i tried calling it and the arrows in the upper right flashed, but i didnt receive the call)

What can i do here? I searched a number of forums and couldnt find anyone with this problem.
    09-10-09 01:08 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...s-info-261112/

This thread discusses the Media Card issue in some detail.

The first thing to check it your installed device OS software.

Options / About or ALT + Right Shift + H will display the information. If you have at least v4.3xx installed, it should be capable of using an 8 Gb media card.

Formatting is not instant, 8 Gb is a huge amount of memory to process. Have you tried leaving it run for an extended amount of time, like overnight?
    09-10-09 01:18 PM
    I'm with Reed, the OS would be the first place to look. If you have an older one it can only handle up to 4, BUT the latest OSs can handle 8s. Next try reseating the card. Take it out then carefully place it back, make sure the pins matchup.
    09-10-09 01:26 PM
    I'm Running 4.5 (upgraded via mac desktop software)...

I reseated the card a few times actually just in case, but to no avail...When the card is formatting, is there supposed to be some sort of progress bar or does it just brick the phone until its done? The longest ive left it 'frozen' was about an hour and a half...at that point i said screw it because i didnt want to be without a phone anymore.

bah!
    09-10-09 01:33 PM
    Try it again tonight, 8 hours should be plenty.

Make sure your battery is fully charged or leave it connected to the charger.
    09-10-09 01:35 PM
    ok i guess ill try that! otherwise its back to best buy to get my 30 bucks back.

Is 8 hours typical?
    09-10-09 01:41 PM
    Try formatting it on a PC with a flash card reader first, then put it in the BB, if that works then problem solved, if not then try formatting it using the BB.
    09-10-09 04:37 PM
    I agree with Tiassa. Try reformatting with a card reader on your computer or in a friend's BB. That will mostly work, then throw it into your BB. If that doesn't work, upgrade your OS. Some way or another, reformat your card.
    09-10-09 04:56 PM
    ok i guess ill try that! otherwise its back to best buy to get my 30 bucks back.

Is 8 hours typical?
    8 hours to reformat a card is not typical. I haven't done it in a while but 30 minutes is more than plenty of time to format 8 gigs. To reformat your computer's hard drive, which is usually over 100gb, doesn't take 8 hours.
    09-10-09 05:01 PM
    The critical factor is Write cycle time.

On a high speed hard disk drive, that is measure in microseconds. Flash memory is measured in Milliseconds, a thousand times slower.

I would be suprized if it went over 8 hours, but I have only formated a 2 Gb card and that didn't take long enough to raise any concerns.
    09-10-09 07:03 PM
    After upgrading to a 4g (from a 2g) & using it for month or more I woke up today to find "A media card has been inserted that contains errors.To correct the errors please use a disk error checking utility on a computer."
    After checking this site,I went to work>>>
    I created a folder on my desktop,dragged all my media folders over from my open media card folder ,formatted my card via the scroll down menu option(which was pretty quick),then dragged my media folders back over into my now clean media card folder (this made even easiler & very nice since they're all in one folder),placed the card back into my phone & everything works fine.
    Thanks to everyone in this forum.
    05-21-10 06:22 PM
    I remember having to take my unit into the telus store to get a new one, it kept saying the 1GB memory card that came with it (a pearl 8130, I still have it, but I use a bold 9700 now), the bold kept having to format it because it had "lost clusters" on it.

Even with the latest OS telus released, it gave the same BS. So I don't use the card in it anymore. It was a sandisk type. It practically deleted the partition off the card when I chose the Repair Card option. I put a new partition on it, formatted with fat16. Had to do that 5 times in a row. I keep the 2GB card in it at all times.

But at one point, the bold (it was a bad one, took it in for a swap unit, send key didn't work at all, memory card reader stopped working after a week, refused to mount even after upgrading the OS) formatted it to it's native Unix filesystem, my ubuntu machines couldn't read it, not even GParted with all addons/plugins could read it.
    05-21-10 06:40 PM
    I'm on version 4.6.1.204 using a 8350i from Nextel

I just bought a 16GB san disk card, and I'm not able to get it to work.

I have formatted both in the BB and the computer and when I do a synchronization with media sync or just drag and drop the music files for some reason the card becomes corrupt and the message that the card has errors and needs to be checked with a computer appears.

Any thoughts?
    05-23-10 11:51 PM
    Sounds to me like the bb isn't compatible or the OS isn't. Have you looked for the specs on google?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 11:53 PM
    Sounds to me like the bb isn't compatible or the OS isn't. Have you looked for the specs on google?

Yes, San disk page says 8350i is compatible, and it should be on the OS I'm running.

Could the card be defective?
    Has anybody tried the 16G on the 8350i on OS 4.6.1.204?
    05-24-10 12:58 AM
    If the 16Gb card works in your memory card on your computer, it's not defective. If you got it off ebay, it might be. Got to be careful. Try copying a bunch of stuff totaling 16GB and see if it all fits on the card. If that works, OS 4 on your device has a bug. Try an 8GB card and see if it works.

05-24-10 01:10 AM
    If the 16Gb card works in your memory card on your computer, it's not defective. If you got it off ebay, it might be. Got to be careful. Try copying a bunch of stuff totaling 16GB and see if it all fits on the card. If that works, OS 4 on your device has a bug. Try an 8GB card and see if it works.

I did got it off eBay,

The problem is that it works on the computer but once the BB reads it the files get corrupted, computer still is able to read it but BB does not and if I perform a CHKDSK it says that the volume its corrupted, again the computer is able to read it no matter what, I had a 2G card that I bought out of Office Max and had no issues with it

Maybe the card is just a bad knock off / Clon since I got it for around 30 Bucks.

Question is; a 16Gb card bought out of Bestbuy, offfice max or any other trusted source will work?

Do you recommend I reinstall the OS?
    05-24-10 02:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD