I am by no means a computer or os system guru, but I was wondering if it is possible for RIM to come out with a os that can re-allocate internal memory, since there seems to be a lot on most devices that is hardly used, and use it for application memory?? Just a thought, but if possible why not!
    Just a thought.
    Thanks for listening.
    04-22-10 11:59 AM
    You aren't seeing the big picture, there are a lot of devices out there where memory is at a premium due to installed apps and/or stored emails and other correspondence.

And your last sentence is a little unclear but the free memory you are seeing is in fact for applications.
    04-22-10 12:04 PM
    You aren't seeing the big picture, there are a lot of devices out there where memory is at a premium due to installed apps and/or stored emails and other correspondence.

And your last sentence is a little unclear but the free memory you are seeing is in fact for applications.
    I know what the free memory is, I just see RIM coming out with devices with more and more free memory for applications. Why not tweek the devices that are already out there, ie. 8330 and 9000, and give them more application memory, instead of the unused device memory. I know people with old devices are loading them up with apps, giving them less and less space, but if you can fix it by allocating more app memory with a os change why not.
    04-22-10 12:21 PM
    I think I get it.

Memory is a physical thing, you cannot just allocate more by upgrading software. If you want more memory you have to get something with a bigger memory chip, higher density as they say.
    04-22-10 12:45 PM
    I am wondering the same thing. Take my Storm 2 9550 for example. It has 256 MB of App memory, 256 MB of RAM Memory, 2 GB of Internal Device memory and 16 GB SDHC card.

Personally I'm not utilizing the 2 GB of Internal memory that designed for media storage. My 16 GB has plenty of space for me. Why can't RIM thru a firmware update, combine the 256 MB memorys into 512 MB of memory for RAM, then use the 2 GB internal memory for apps? That would immensly help out BB's with multi-tasking or running bigger programs.

This could help the Storm1 9530 who only has 128 MB of ROM and 128 MB for RAM and 1 GB of Internal memory that could possibly have 256 MB of RAM and 1 GB for apps.

I'm not a computer system designer either so I'm not sure how feesible this would be, but it seems there's a lot of wasted space on these devices that could be used more efficiently.

Maybe if people can chime in if they use their onboard memory or SD card for their media.
    04-22-10 01:12 PM
    Personally I'm not utilizing the 2 GB of Internal memory that designed for media storage. My 16 GB has plenty of space for me. Why can't RIM thru a firmware update, combine the 256 MB memorys into 512 MB of memory for RAM, then use the 2 GB internal memory for apps? That would immensly help out BB's with multi-tasking or running bigger programs.
    I am a computer person, and it ain't possible.

You are talking an architectural change on the hardware at a minimum, and that can't be accomplished through a firmware upgrade. The CPU has external and internal address lines and I'm willing to bet the whole thing is set up so you can't run apps from external memory like that. It would use some protocol for communicating with the extra memory like i2c which means excruciatingly slow execution times if apps were in the extended memory.
    04-22-10 01:51 PM
    I am a computer person, and it ain't possible.

You are talking an architectural change on the hardware at a minimum, and that can't be accomplished through a firmware upgrade. The CPU has external and internal address lines and I'm willing to bet the whole thing is set up so you can't run apps from external memory like that. It would use some protocol for communicating with the extra memory like i2c which means excruciatingly slow execution times if apps were in the extended memory.
    Are you referring to the SD card or internal media memory? Because I was referring to the internal memory. I thought all of the flash memory in these phones were, in essence, identical aside from addressing which might have been controlled through on-board controllers ROM. I guess I'm thinking more of like a PC than a BB.
    04-22-10 03:07 PM
    Are you referring to the SD card or internal media memory? Because I was referring to the internal memory. I thought all of the flash memory in these phones were, in essence, identical aside from addressing which might have been controlled through on-board controllers ROM. I guess I'm thinking more of like a PC than a BB.
    Depends on how the on-board flash memory is connected to the CPU. It is unlikely they would use a full bus, they most likely opted for some kind of serial interface so they don't need an extra 30 pins or whatever it would take.

As for RAM vs. application memory I didn't realize there was a distinction. You mean the memory when you go to the help screen? I am a little confused on that point. I think the bulk of the memory used is again another peripheral chip but probably connected using a full bus for speed. Normally that memory is used to store and execute applications.

As for the CPU itself having RAM, that is a matter for the CPU and is already being used to its full potential.

And media cards are a whole other story but they are connected jut like the internal flash memory of the Bold.
    04-22-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD