Addition: After reading so many good comments so far. What do all of you think about the camera in Passport and Priv, in relation to what the article says about specs make for a good smart phone camera to take decent all around pictures?

Since phone camera's picture quality is always being brought I thought I'd post this article.

Exploring the Megapixel myth: 2015 Edition - finding the sweet spot
    Last edited by mawil1013; 10-11-15 at 09:06 AM.
    10-09-15 07:19 PM
    TLDR; what's the key to the article? Lol
    10-10-15 01:04 PM
    Your only going to get so much resolution and detail out of a pea sensor camera. I have been into digital photography since the mid nineties and if your looking for SLR results, buy a good digital SLR.
    10-10-15 01:40 PM
    My PAS is far superior to any phone camera.

A phone camera is fine for the odd snap though.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    10-10-15 05:19 PM
    I hate when people say they get the iphone for the camera. It's such a dumb reason. the camera is all about the lens and the length of the lens. The whole process of allowing the light go in through the lens makes the quality of the picture great. There's not much they can do on a camera phone unless they decide to build a protruding lens. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 07:26 PM
    https://fstoppers.com/originals/ipho...kon-dslr-88627

The point is, companies resort to megapixels to trick spec buyers. When they have a camera that performs, they show the photos.
    ReneV likes this.
    10-10-15 08:22 PM
    Thanks for the link. I was aware that MPs aren't everything, but there's still a lot of people that think they are!
    anon(55900) likes this.
    10-10-15 08:30 PM
    I took some excellent pics on my Curve 8900, even though it only had a 3.2MP.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-10-15 08:32 PM
    I hate when people say they get the iphone for the camera. It's such a dumb reason. the camera is all about the lens and the length of the lens. The whole process of allowing the light go in through the lens makes the quality of the picture great. There's not much they can do on a camera phone unless they decide to build a protruding lens. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    But there's no denying iPhone cameras are superior to BlackBerry's. I recently took some shots with my friends 6s and my Classic. The difference in quality is huge! Is there something stopping BlackBerry from using the same Sony lens and sensor that Apple uses?

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    10-10-15 08:47 PM
    While there is a lot of truth to this article, I must say that the camera in my LG G4 is amazingly good considering it's a smartphone camera, and it's been reviewed as the best smartphone camera available. Yes, it's 16MP, but it's also got great sensitivity, awesome manual modes, laser focusing, OIS, and even fantastic UHD video. LG did what HTC should have done, and not only got fantastic hardware, but also hired some of the best camera software engineers and really got the most out of the hardware. That's a big part of the magic.
    10-10-15 09:21 PM
    But there's no denying iPhone cameras are superior to BlackBerry's. I recently took some shots with my friends 6s and my Classic. The difference in quality is huge! Is there something stopping BlackBerry from using the same Sony lens and sensor that Apple uses?
    Not at all - but Apple's biggest strength is their post-processing. They've got some great photo software engineers working for them who have really done a lot of work on the camera drivers and post-processing software, and that makes a massive difference. Just buying the same hardware isn't enough - not by far.
    10-10-15 09:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    No but they can do a lot of things wrong with a camera, just ask BlackBerry.
    10-10-15 09:24 PM
    While there is a lot of truth to this article, I must say that the camera in my LG G4 is amazingly good considering it's a smartphone camera, and it's been reviewed as the best smartphone camera available. Yes, it's 16MP, but it's also got great sensitivity, awesome manual modes, laser focusing, OIS, and even fantastic UHD video. LG did what HTC should have done, and not only got fantastic hardware, but also hired some of the best camera software engineers and really got the most out of the hardware. That's a big part of the magic.
    That's exactly my point! LG realized that consumers wanted a quality camera. Started with great hardware and created software to maximize it.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-10-15 09:31 PM
    All about the lens and the optics, megapixels mean NOTHING. That's how I go about it. If a picture taken during the DAY looks horrible when zoomed in (using photo viewers on windows, Linux or mac), then you're getting it wrong.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    10-10-15 11:19 PM