I just watched a youtube video on meego and I was astonished how similar it was to bb10. Talk about reincarnation!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 03:09 AM
    This is actually one of my reasons for choosing BB10. Used Meego for awhile and really liked it.
    04-10-13 05:31 AM
    I read somewhere here on the Crackberry forums that The Astonishing Tribe assisted in Meego's creation. That could be the reason for the similarities.
    04-10-13 06:17 AM
    That's really interesting. I actually felt BlackBerry was an evolution of Web OS which I was a fan of before switching to BlackBerry. The main kicker for me was that it was based on qnx (Web OS was really slow and buggy). Seems like BlackBerry has got the right ingredients to make this work!

I'm curious why meego flopped and what a previous meego user thinks of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:26 AM
    That's really interesting. I actually felt BlackBerry was an evolution of Web OS which I was a fan of before switching to BlackBerry. The main kicker for me was that it was based on qnx (Web OS was really slow and buggy). Seems like BlackBerry has got the right ingredients to make this work!

I'm curious why meego flopped and what a previous meego user thinks of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Stephen Elop didn't think Meego was far enough along to compete with iOS and Android. Bad choice IMO since most felt the N9 was an excellent phone and quite capable if they stuck with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:35 PM
    Most definitely. Too bad Nokia went with Microsoft. Now they're hampered with the glacier speeds of Microsoft development.
    04-10-13 01:11 PM
    Stephen Elop didn't think Meego was far enough along to compete with iOS and Android. Bad choice IMO since most felt the N9 was an excellent phone and quite capable if they stuck with it.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. Most reviews I've seen of it was largely praises. And when it comes to gestures, I think there were more gestures on Meego than BB10. Its multitasking ability is also insane. Nokia did a heck of a job with The N9. It made Lumia 800 feel almost infantile. I'm guessing their concerns were with app support as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 02:03 PM
    Agree. Most reviews I've seen of it was largely praises. And when it comes to gestures, I think there were more gestures on Meego than BB10. Its multitasking ability is also insane. Nokia did a heck of a job with The N9. It made Lumia 800 feel almost infantile. I'm guessing their concerns were with app support as well.

Posted via CB10
    And no one was giving nokia a billion dollars to use meego let's not forget...

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong and Louis Larsen like this.
    04-10-13 04:45 PM
    This is what worries me about blackberry. I hope they stay away from dirty money (from lenevo or whomever wants to buy them). Lets not have another Palm or Meego or BeOS.. Takeovers are just bad news.

Posted via CB10
    jdhooghe and Louis Larsen like this.
    04-10-13 08:17 PM
    This is what worries me about blackberry. I hope they stay away from dirty money (from lenevo or whomever wants to buy them). Lets not have another Palm or Meego or BeOS.. Takeovers are just bad news.

Posted via CB10
    amen
    04-10-13 08:28 PM
    What are about all the apps that are missing?

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    04-10-13 09:52 PM
    Ya. I watched this a while back and thought the same thing. I think he even mentions the keyboard with dual-languages.

Maybe a benefit of not being the first mover like apple. BB got to look at what everyone did and create their own device experience from the best of the rest.

I think Meego is still 'alive' as sailfish. I laugh when the same people who don't give BB a chance saw Sailfish has a chance even though Nokia already killed it as far as they were concerned. I started a thread about and people didn't realise sailfish was meego.

Theres only so much you can do with UI but I think BB is the one trying to do the most and who has put the most thought into it.
    04-10-13 10:19 PM
    I had the pleasure using it on my N9 . I was told it failed because it didn't attract a lot of developers who make apps and money. Ergo nokia dropped it for windows. I got excited about early BB10 info releases as it had same Meego gestures which worked really well on the N9. I think the combo of gestures and the qwerty keyboard will work a treat on the Q10.
    grover5 likes this.
    04-10-13 10:28 PM
    I owned an N9, still do. But I got a Z10 because it's better supported.

The N9 is the best phone I ever owned. The Z10 is great, don't get me wrong. But it's only second best.

On the n9, you could swipe up or to the side to minimize an app, but you could swipe down to close it, one movement.

The screen was Beautiful, lower resolution than the Z10, but it was led. Beautiful I'm sunlight, and even provided info when the phone was locked, no need to unlock it to check for missed alerts or the time or weather, all with the screen off, and it saved a Ton of battery.

Double tap to unlock and a small icon to lock screen, never use a physical button.

It was shaped beautiful, close to perfect size. (although I do enjoy the bigger screen now)

It was open source too, so there was a Ton of customization options.

It had decent specs too, one gb single core and one gb ram.

It had its shortcomings as well, and those, as well its lack of support eventually forced me to move on.

It was a sad story, basically declared dead before release by its owner due to its deal with Microsoft, not supported at all. It got 3 really good software updates. And it had features that no phone matches today, even with apps. It was truly amazing

If it had been allowed to grow, along with excellent Nokia hardware, it could have become great. Right now it's like the Z10 version 1.0 of the software. And it got all the way to 1.3 before the entire team working on it was fired.

I'm sad. But also happy, because it allowed me to move on to the Z10, which is excellent as well.

But that N9 ui... boy it was fantastic.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them, just pm me or post here, I can even put together some screen shots or maybe a video if you guys would like to see certain things as compared to the Z10

Posted via TimeMachine
    04-10-13 11:09 PM
    I had the pleasure using it on my N9 . I was told it failed because it didn't attract a lot of developers who make apps and money. Ergo nokia dropped it for windows. I got excited about early BB10 info releases as it had same Meego gestures which worked really well on the N9. I think the combo of gestures and the qwerty keyboard will work a treat on the Q10.
    I don't think the N9 had released by the time the burning platform memo came out. By then the iPhone was taking everyone's lunch, Android started creeping into the mid and low range smartphones and developers were dropping Symbian for iOS/Android. Once the Nokia/WP7 announcement came out anything Meego was dropped on the spot and the N9 release for the US/UK were cancelled. That was with promising sales in the rest of Europe and rave reviews/high customer satisfaction for the N9 and Meego.

I don't know which is sadder: this or the WebOS debacle. At least BB tried, but obviously no one expected the rate at which Apple and Google would just take over.
    04-10-13 11:14 PM