Ok, so I've read a few things talking about how USB ports will affect transfer speeds, and I was wondering...

Why not just take the card out, put it in an adapter and throw it straight into the computer. When you're done take it out and put it back in your Berry. Is there something preventing this? Or is that what most of you do? And if not, why?
    06-12-08 06:19 PM
    No problem doing that at all, except you have to remove the battery and restart when you are done.

Personaly, I have no problems with the transfer speed through USB.

Hi-Speed (2.0) rate of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).
    06-12-08 06:53 PM
    No problem doing that at all, except you have to remove the battery and restart when you are done.

Personaly, I have no problems with the transfer speed through USB.
    You have to remove the batter on all devices or just the ones like the Curve which require the battery to be taken out before you can access the slot?
    06-12-08 07:06 PM
    You can remove the media card from an 8830 without removing the battery. On this model, the slot is not under the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 08:29 PM
    For music and tones, use the usb, for video pull the card and hook it to your pute, video takes a while to transfer with the cord. I've also gotten in the habit of pulling the battery before I pull the card, since some folk have had an unrecognizable card error pulling the card with the power on, plus when you reinstall the battery it will recognize the new media you added.
    GL

06-12-08 09:34 PM
    Sooo...I'm new to BB, do you pull the battery out without turning off the phone when you doing anything with memory? And do you only pull the battery after memory or other things too?
    06-12-08 09:42 PM
    If you pull the battery with out turning it off first it will reset the bb w/o changing your settings back to default

06-12-08 10:59 PM
    Pull the battery, remove the card, transfer a movie, reinsert the card, reinsert the battery.
    For everything else leave it on in mass storage mode and load your music, tones or pics, however 9 out of 10 times you'll have to reboot for your berry to recognize what you just loaded.
    GL

06-12-08 11:20 PM
    With my 8830 encased in an Otterbox, pulling anything is, well, like pulling teeth - I don't want to do it. But when the card was out, transfer speeds went much faster with the card reader. Too bad the BB does not act as the card reader does - fast.
    06-13-08 12:36 AM
    I have a 4 gig sd card and plan to get an 8 gig. how do I go about transferring everything to the 8 gig?
    06-13-08 04:14 PM
    I have a 4 gig sd card and plan to get an 8 gig. how do I go about transferring everything to the 8 gig?
    Transfer all the files from the 4GB to a folder in your computer, then transfer them all to the 8GB from that folder.
    06-13-08 04:25 PM
    I changed my card from a 2GB to a 6GB and it only shows that my 6GB only has like 1.6GB? does anyone know why?
    06-13-08 04:47 PM
    The maximum size card you can use depends on what OS you have.
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB (verizon 4.2.2.196 up to 8MB)
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB

From your results, it appears you may have 4.2.0 software. You can usually format the card in your PC using FAT-32. That will let you format it to the full 6MB capacity. Then you can put the card in your phone and it will usually work. You are operating outside the specified limits of your OS, however, so do this at your own risk.

If Options/About says you have OS 4.3.0 or higher, try reformatting the card. It should take the full 6GB format.

There is at least one more possible exception, however. If your phone is not capable of using microSDHC cards, and your card is labeled HC, it may not work.

Let us know what happens.
    06-13-08 05:44 PM
    I have BDS 4.2.2, what happends if I get a 8g card? It only shows up as 4?
    06-13-08 05:54 PM
    If you format it in your blackberry, yes. But if you format it in your PC using FAT-32, you can probably see and use all 8gb. Probably. See my caveat in the previous post.

06-13-08 05:57 PM
    If I have an 8310, will I be able to reload my OS to be 4.3.0, right now I just have 4.2? The BB website just has the v4.3 and it only shows it for a 8320
    06-14-08 10:28 AM
    And also it has a (TM) at the end of it, that doesnt mean T-moblil does it?
    06-14-08 10:32 AM
    Sooo...I'm new to BB, do you pull the battery out without turning off the phone when you doing anything with memory? And do you only pull the battery after memory or other things too?
    Yes always pull it with the phone on so that it will reset.
    06-14-08 10:35 AM
    i guess the 4.5 / 4.6 OS will take a 16 go...
    Last edited by FaBerry; 06-14-08 at 03:15 PM.
    06-14-08 10:52 AM
    I guess my question is, is a centinnial BB able to have the 4.3 OS yet or will I have to wait on it to be released by centinnial?
    06-14-08 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD