I'm hoping this isn't what I think, but here goes.
    I just got a 8800 two weeks ago, and a 2G Media Card a couple of days ago. My problem is that when I install the card, I don't get any of the options that are mentioned in all the books and manuals that I researched about formatting and allowing etc, etc.
    Using the new Desktop and Roxio, it sees a card, but then says I have to Enable Mass Storage. If I go Options, Advanced, Media Card, I see Media Card Support: Off with a little red padlock in front of it. Hitting menu gives me nothing. Please tell me that I'm doing something wrong and that my ever omnipotent IT group hasn't locked the card function out on my device. If my worst fears are true, is there a work around to unlock this??
    BTW- When I plugged the micro SD into my home phone, it was recognized and I was able to format it immediately and so I know the card is good.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance
    06-04-07 06:06 PM
    As a test, on your home pc, connect your device to it WITHOUT opening Desktop Manager. When you get the message on the BlackBerry asking to enable "mass storage" say yes. From the PC, double click on My Computer, and look the the E drive (might be labelled something else). See if you can read the card...

If you can't, something else is wrong...
    06-04-07 08:53 PM
    As a test, on your home pc, connect your device to it WITHOUT opening Desktop Manager. When you get the message on the BlackBerry asking to enable "mass storage" say yes. From the PC, double click on My Computer, and look the the E drive (might be labelled something else). See if you can read the card...

If you can't, something else is wrong...
    Good suggestion, unfortunately, the BB doesn't even ask to enable mass storage. "My Computer" recognizes the RIM as a USB device, but it doesn't see it as a mass storage device.
    I'm still thinking it has to do with the little red padlock and am betting that since I work for a Fortune 50 company, the IT group is too afraid to enable anything that may have extra storage that can be comprimised. (Can we say VA laptop fiasco?)
    thanks for the suggestion, I may try to call ATT tomorrow and see what they say.
    06-04-07 09:58 PM
    I would say that your IT department has locked down SD card support. Call your IT department and ask them.
    06-05-07 12:42 AM
    Sounds like John is right!
    06-05-07 02:31 AM
    Well, as I figured and you all surmissed, yes the little red padlock is an IT BES function.
    After spending 30 minutes with ATT CS and then 20 more when transferred to Blackberry, I finally got the confirmation that the service was locked out as part of my company's IT policy.
    Heck, I may even have caused the Blackberry support group to write a FAQ just on what that little red padlock means for future reference. And if anyone else doesn't know what a BES is, (like I didn't), the BB rep filled me in: Blackberry Exchange Server.

So now my plea is in the hands of the Global IT group to loosen up their standards.

Thanks for responding.
    06-05-07 01:38 PM
    The 'rep' was almost right. BES is actually BlackBerry Enterprise Server!
    06-05-07 01:40 PM
    Probably my bad. I'm ingrained with MS Exchange server...
    06-07-07 10:08 AM
    BB8830. I work for a big company. I own and pay for the BlackBerry for my convenience. IT department locks down the Media Card Support via BES with the same red padlock showing next to "Media Card Support" "Padlock" "Off".

There has to be a work around for this somewhere. Anyone have any bright ideas?
    08-13-07 09:44 PM
    Wonderboy, any ideas would probably get you fired. The IT policy is what determine what can or can't be done on your device.

They should have explained to you, albeit you bought and paid for your device, once connected to BES, they as good as own it, well, the data at least...
    08-14-07 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD