Where does one start with this.... perhaps I will point format this

-not everyone that is up for renewal on their contracts renews right when it's up, conversely not everyone waits for their contract to expire.
    -the entire smartphone marketshare did not re-up Christmas 2012, and thus is locked ...... I guess no more phone sales for anyone for the next 3 years if this was the case
    -not everyone wants iOS or DROID
    -companies and enterprise customers do not load up for Christmas
    -not all parts of the world celebrate Christmas

At some point I wish folks would use common sense
    01-03-13 07:49 PM
    Another "RIM is too late, blah blah blah" thread. Christmas is a big time to buy phones, yes. But people buy phones at other times too, and certainly not just once every two years. The market is far too varied in contract end-dates, personal preferences, gifts, people able to purchase off-contract, people owning multiple phones, etc. So no, RIM will not be struggling with BB10 because they missed the holiday season. They'll just get a little less sales than they might have if they could have released the exact same product earlier. But we know that if they had actually released earlier, it would simply be an incomplete OS and would flop altogether - a great Christmas gift for RIM haters I'm sure, but not something any of us here want to see.
    01-03-13 07:58 PM
    Another "RIM is too late, blah blah blah" thread. Christmas is a big time to buy phones, yes. But people buy phones at other times too, and certainly not just once every two years. The market is far too varied in contract end-dates, personal preferences, gifts, people able to purchase off-contract, people owning multiple phones, etc. So no, RIM will not be struggling with BB10 because they missed the holiday season. They'll just get a little less sales than they might have if they could have released the exact same product earlier. But we know that if they had actually released earlier, it would simply be an incomplete OS and would flop altogether - a great Christmas gift for RIM haters I'm sure, but not something any of us here want to see.
    What ? You mean I can actually buy a new phone after Christmas ????
    01-03-13 08:16 PM
    Exactly how many questionable threads does a member have to start before people notice a pattern of trolling?
    01-03-13 08:22 PM
    Exactly how many questionable threads does a member have to start before pueople notice a pattern of trolling?
    These trolls are so transparent I can not understand why they have not been removed. It seems clear to me that profession paid troll do post on cb. Many are itrolls like the person who started this thread but the more clever ones are the real pros who try to mask themselves as cb fans. Please report and do not reply to negative made up posts like this. They want to control the discussion and in many cases have controlled the discussions at cb. They must be laughing.
    01-03-13 08:47 PM
    I got my 9810 last january, guess rim should have bought it out back then as i'm now locked in for another year....
    Yeah what i typed was nonsense. I got my 9810 knowing bb10 would be released at some point. But i made plans to buy bb10 or simply wait.
    Op it isnt rim's fault you got locked in, that is your own poor forward thinking. If i was aware of bb10 in christmas 2011, i'm pretty sure you would have been aware of bb10 just before christmas 2012. So why get a new contract? Unless bb10 didnt float your boat. In which case, what is the purpose of this thread?
    I'm genuinely struggling to see how its rim's fault you chose enter a new contract in december?
    01-03-13 09:14 PM
    They will be releasing more phones this year from what they have been saying. So they will be building brand awareness for later in the year. You have to release them at some point. Are you saying they should now wait longer to hit the major selling season?

James
    IMO, this is what they are gambling on. The first devices have a mission, show the viability of the platform, gain momentum and continue upon recent successes. What comes out later 2013 will be the hammer. That's their plan. This will be fun to watch.
    01-03-13 09:16 PM
    Exactly how many questionable threads does a member have to start before people notice a pattern of trolling?
    6. I like the sound of this number. That is all.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-03-13 09:16 PM
    ^^
    This about sums it up.
    correctamundo
    01-03-13 09:21 PM
    Journalists are more and more checking this site for stories in the run up to jan 30. We've already seen some articles referencing complaints in RIMs best fan forum.

This guys chumming the fishing hole.
    jakie55, hpjrt and Bobcat665 like this.
    01-03-13 09:29 PM
    Its simple math, your contract is up when it is up. There is NO WAY every contract ended in December and because the contract ended your locked in to something else.
    Although that's true, there is another consideration: a LOT of carriers offer early upgrades when it comes to iPhone. So, a lot of carriers would give you subsidized iPhone 5 if you are within few months of finishing your contract term. I hope they (the carriers) extend the same offer to BlackBerry 10 upgrades. Allow early upgrades for people within few months of contract-expiration.
    01-03-13 09:37 PM
    I think your wireless keyboards playing up.I got to laugh at these people wanting in now and blaiming RIM.RIM gave you the alert ''next year'',''jan 30th'' this was your impatience not RIMS fault.RIM could of released some half assed phone would you have been happy then?? I dont think so.You got to man or woman up and take the blame here.Your sounding like you just hopped on the trend wave of getting fancy new tech for the sake cause everyone else was hipster style.And now you relized BB is serious stuff and now you want in on BB10.This problem is on you ,you had choices those choices didnt work out for you dont start blaiming others.

How you try blame RIM for you getting a new phone?? No one forced you to go into the store if you was a true BB person you would of waited now you talking about trades on a new phone what you smoking?? You would'nt of had this problem if you waited or are willing to pay for the phone outright or break a contract.RIMs bad timing get out with that talk they would of been finito if they released the phone half assed when you wanted it. And when was holidays and xmas the right time to release phones which get sold all year round?? There's never a bad time.

Trade off on a new phone lol take the repercussions and work out how you gonna get yourself that BB10 quit ********.
    01-03-13 09:50 PM
    Dang it! Would you experienced members please stop with the kneejerk "troll" label, whenever a newcomer posts something you find negative?!? It's becoming a bigger problem, than the true trolls themselves. Clearly the OP does not as yet have a firm grasp of the smartphone industry. How many of us did when we started? That's something the CrackBerry community can nurture, but not when we get confrontational.

Ratchet, all is not lost. You made a mistake, but once BB10 is released, if you find it suits you, sell the phone you have, and buy the one you want. You have a month to get up to speed, on where RIM has been, what they've done to get back in the game, and why it's been delayed till February.

For the record, I'm not due an upgrade again till sometime in 2014. Damn them for being a year early!
    01-03-13 11:06 PM
    I'm with verizon on contract but have unlimited data. I'm buying full retail on release.
    Bingo! I'm on contract unlimited and paying retail too! I want what I want and I get what I want...
    01-04-13 12:03 AM
    Lol wit? Bb10 didn't even massively spread word iuntil Nov. After everyone already was preordering phones for Dec. Then in Dec when they were finally threw the bb10 news around at the same time new and older phones got massive price cuts...

It was a dumb move to bring it out this late in Jan, Feb till end of march is consistently a time for low sales in the mobile space, people were already in contract by the time rim decided to spread word after the holiday and pre- holiday sakes cuts.
    BB10 was announced over a year ago about being developed and released at a later date when it was ready, not November. If your a true blackberry fan you would know this, otherwise you must live in the USA and fell into the same media misinformed trap and was led to believe rim was dead and bankrupt. Again you jumped the gun by not being loyal and not paying attention so now you miss out at your own fault, not the fault of rim release dates. Sorry but that's the truth.
    01-04-13 12:19 AM
    The release date unfortunately may not work well with your contract, but I think it generally won't affect too many people.

Gartner mentioned that 149 million smartphones were sold in Q4 2011. This decreased to 145 million in Q1 2012, which is a decrease of about 3%.

The timing of the launch itself won't affect their sales too much.
    01-04-13 12:23 AM
    I'm with verizon on contract but have unlimited data. I'm buying full retail on release.
    I'm confused when reading this, you are saying that you are giving up the unlimited data AND buying off contract, so obviously some people are interested in BB10 especially going to that extent? Because I am doing the same... UNLESS what you are referring to is that you get to keep the unlimited data if u buy the phone off contract which from what I know isn't true, the grandfathered in thing doesn't last if you upgrade to a 4G phone (i think, unless you know differently?). I'm assuming you meant the first point, was just a little bit confused and just wanted to clarify to make sure I'm understanding it right.
    01-04-13 01:10 AM
    Whether you like it or not, we live in an age of consumerism where people will buy a new phone every few months (not saying all but I know a bunch) so yes BB could have missed out on a lot of Holiday sales, but to say the majority of the phone market will stay locked in for the next 2 years is ridiculous. If that was the case, no iPhone 4s would have sold, since everyone would have still been on contract from their 4
    01-04-13 01:16 AM
    Sadly this is only the case in the USA. In the rest of the world you are locked to a contract for 6 months at the longest by law. In South Africa operators are now forced to do a month to month contract as well. BB10 will be MASSIVE ! Understand that its only in the USA where Apple dominates. In SA you hardly see the iPhone 5. The main reason - the iPhone is a little data hungry. I had an iPhone 3GS... Nice and all but why should i pay close on $150 - 200 every month for data when I get it for free with a Blackberry. Here in SA we don't pay for Blackberry data... Its free...

So there are a lot of things to consider. Thats why the Blackberry has been the biggest selling device in SA for the last few years
    axeman1000 likes this.
    01-04-13 01:34 AM
    Sadly this is only the case in the USA. In the rest of the world you are locked to a contract for 6 months at the longest by law. In South Africa operators are now forced to do a month to month contract as well. BB10 will be MASSIVE ! Understand that its only in the USA where Apple dominates. In SA you hardly see the iPhone 5. The main reason - the iPhone is a little data hungry. I had an iPhone 3GS... Nice and all but why should i pay close on $150 - 200 every month for data when I get it for free with a Blackberry. Here in SA we don't pay for Blackberry data... Its free...

So there are a lot of things to consider. Thats why the Blackberry has been the biggest selling device in SA for the last few years
    Nice to see a South African on here.
    I agree with you on the Iphone. Data is too expensive in SA. i have not seen anyone with an Iphone 5 to date. I only know 2 people with an Iphone 4. I do however have to pay R59 per month for my Blacberry service, but I know its free on some contracts.

Can't wait for Blackberry 10. I will stand in line all day if I have to, to get myself one of the first Z10's.

Like someone else said on another Thread "it's never too late if it's only the beginning.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    01-04-13 01:52 AM

but i doubt rim makes any money operating in emerging markets... the money is in the developed nations
    01-04-13 04:05 AM
    Sadly this is only the case in the USA. In the rest of the world you are locked to a contract for 6 months at the longest by law.
    Not in this part of the world... 12 month contract minimum.
    01-04-13 04:11 AM
    RIM is two early in my case, I got my 9900 in November 2011 on a 2 years contract. The earlies I'll be able to upgrade is July(you can upgrade 3 months early)
    01-04-13 04:17 AM
    Not in this part of the world... 12 month contract minimum.
    I assume you're in the uk. 12 month or even 18 month contracts are rare to find i might add. 2 years is definitely the standard
    01-04-13 06:04 AM
    but i doubt rim makes any money operating in emerging markets... the money is in the developed nations
    Yeah right, they do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Emerging markets cash is just as good as any other cash.

If what you said was true then why is RIM building shops in emerging markets?
    01-04-13 06:20 AM
117 1234 ...