When do you think would be best for RIM to start a BB10 marketing campaign? Also, what angle do you think they should take...ie what are the main points they should really focus on with the advertising to make the biggest impact on potential customers?
    10-11-12 10:47 PM
    Focus on the things that make BlackBerry, BlackBerry.

No need to compare to iPhone 5 or the latest beefed up Android, as that isn't what a BlackBerry is. iToys have made people lose the true purpose of a cell phone, which is communication.

As to when, don't market anything till you have a date and a product to ship.
    10-11-12 11:57 PM
    Seems like McDonalds has a bit of a marketing ploy going on where people can post questions through Twitter and McDonalds answers them. This could be something right up RIM's alley, where they take questions (assuming they're not stupid ones, like "lololol when r u guyz filing for bankruptcy?") and answer them with a written response, or a video. The kicker is, the answers can only be posted using a BlackBerry 10 phone (including the creation of the video), which would obviously double as advertising in addition to "myth-busting" (e.g. "Is RIM abandoning the hardware keyboard?").

Quite frankly, the main reason why RIM might want to consider something like this is because...well, have you seen what kind of stuff gets posted on some of the websites out there? Just look at the mess one particular "analyst" caused.
    10-12-12 12:13 AM
    Seems like McDonalds has a bit of a marketing ploy going on where people can post questions through Twitter and McDonalds answers them. This could be something right up RIM's alley, where they take questions (assuming they're not stupid ones, like "lololol when r u guyz filing for bankruptcy?") and answer them with a written response, or a video. The kicker is, the answers can only be posted using a BlackBerry 10 phone (including the creation of the video), which would obviously double as advertising in addition to "myth-busting" (e.g. "Is RIM abandoning the hardware keyboard?").

Quite frankly, the main reason why RIM might want to consider something like this is because...well, have you seen what kind of stuff gets posted on some of the websites out there? Just look at the mess one particular "analyst" caused.
    Great idea, but the reason they won't is as you stated. Too many people will ask stupid questions.
    10-12-12 12:31 AM
    Great idea, but the reason they won't is as you stated. Too many people will ask stupid questions.
    According to the FAQ section, McDonalds filters out questions that are subjective comments or statements, or anything with profanity (and I'm sure they get plenty, as McDonalds has its share of haters as well). It seems to be working relatively well, and for some reason, it's kind of interesting to read these... No, it's not making me hungry. Don't worry. :P

Oh, and thought I'd mention that it looks like they're sporting Playbooks in all the videos. Represent!!
    Last edited by Masahiro; 10-12-12 at 01:05 AM.
    10-12-12 12:53 AM
    According to the FAQ section, McDonalds filters out questions that are subjective comments or statements, or anything with profanity (and I'm sure they get plenty, as McDonalds has its share of haters as well). It seems to be working relatively well, and for some reason, it's kind of interesting to read these... No, it's not making me hungry. Don't worry. :P

Oh, and thought I'd mention that it looks like they're sporting Playbooks in all the videos. Represent!!
    Just don't think it's worth RIM's time, but I believe social media is the future of marketing.

And they may be sporting PlayBooks, they're providing iPads in one of their stores somewhere in the US
    10-12-12 01:07 AM
    "The Indian subsidiary, one of the bright spots for RIM globally, sold 11 million devices in 2011, clocking 87% year-on-year revenue growth."

Source: BlackBerry BB10: India to be a priority market; customers' security to be prime focus - Economic Times

So RIM need to think seriously how to market BB10.
    10-12-12 01:08 AM
    when? 1 week before they announce bb10's release granted the launch date isn't too car off.

as to what should they show? I've shown the premature commercial that came out in may to my iPhone using friends and the stuff that caught their eye was
    1.the virtual key swiping gestures.
    2.the camera time shift feature.
    3.the LED (yes the rwd blinker caught their eye as they're all previous bb users)

I've shown then demos and they really took a liking to the peek for notifications and the active frames.

personally I would like to see a man or woman getting off work sending an email then picking up their kid from school or daycare and using the bbbalance feature and the kid using netflix(if they have it) or a game app like temple run or cut the rope. thus showing off the wonderful screen resolution.
    10-12-12 01:11 AM