hello everyone, i was wondering if there was a program that i could use as a gps when i am in my boat on the storm 2. i have a handheld one but i would like to only carry one when out on the water. also if there is anything in the probgram that would allow me do download a specific map for an area that i would be fishing. i am aware of the garmin for blackberry but was just wondering if there were any that someone had tested for themselves. if anyone has any suggestions that would help me out so much. thank you in advance.
    Last edited by copster; 11-02-09 at 11:41 AM.
    11-02-09 11:17 AM
    I don't think you would want to install one on your S2 and go swimming with it. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 11:26 AM
    i have always carried my phone with me when i am on the boat. i am very carefull when i am on the water. plus...i have insurance. lol
    11-02-09 12:00 PM
    Couldn't you just use BB Maps?
    11-02-09 12:10 PM
    I guess I could. I have never used it because I currently have a curve. I am goin to get the storm as we speak.

11-02-09 12:27 PM
    BB maps won't take tides into consideration. Or sandbars/wrecks etc.
    I haven't seen marine GPS for the blackberry sorry

11-02-09 05:30 PM
    Good point.
    Something for a developer like me to think about...
    11-02-09 05:43 PM
    I would also be interest in a marine gps.

11-02-09 06:36 PM
    I'll keep my ears open as well! I'd kill somethin for a nice marine GPS app!
    11-02-09 06:40 PM
    i am starving for a marine gps app for my blackberry, someone please fill this need. if you google it, there are requests GALLORE for this !!!!!!
    11-04-09 10:52 PM
    Working in marine electronics and communications (commercial ships) all I can say is:

Forget about your phone, keep it for phoning home. Get a proper marine GPS, and a marine VHF radio for your boat. Rescue services are equipped to deal with marine equipment and direct communication, cellphones just don't cut it. Even simple handheld devices are fine for small recreational boats, you don't need to spend a fortune. If something goes wrong and you need to call for help it will make a huge difference to your chance of survival.

If you don't believe me, ask your friendly coastguard service for their advice. These items will come just behind lifejackets in their list of essentials to be sure you go home alive.
    12-15-09 07:29 PM
    i am starving for a marine gps app for my blackberry, someone please fill this need. if you google it, there are requests GALLORE for this !!!!!!
    There are reasons they don't exist, and probably never will.

* There are no OTA charts comparable to Google Maps. Production cost would be prohibitive.
    * Cell coverage of many boating areas is poor, so all charts must be downloaded ahead of requirement. (Its no use getting bumped off the network if you need the picture Now!)
    * Almost all "marine" and other boating charts have some kind of license fees involved.
    * There is a huge liability risk ($millions) for anyone making this available without proper "approved" charts and a fully tested system. In litigation based USA nobody will take that risk where a forseeable failure could cause serious harm or loss of life.
    12-15-09 07:41 PM
    There are reasons they don't exist, and probably never will.

* There are no OTA charts comparable to Google Maps. Production cost would be prohibitive.
    * Cell coverage of many boating areas is poor, so all charts must be downloaded ahead of requirement. (Its no use getting bumped off the network if you need the picture Now!)
    * Almost all "marine" and other boating charts have some kind of license fees involved.
    * There is a huge liability risk ($millions) for anyone making this available without proper "approved" charts and a fully tested system. In litigation based USA nobody will take that risk where a forseeable failure could cause serious harm or loss of life.
    1) Google is the one that should be doing this.
    2)Not all boats go where there is no cell service. In fact, most boaters that need depth charts are within range of land (where cell towers are).
    3)People would pay good money for a good marine GPS app
    4)There is the same liability for official Marine GPS units. An app could be based off the same "approved" charts.

GIVE US AN OPTION FOR MARINE GPS!!
    06-15-10 09:27 PM
    This is very good advice! I would get a good marine GPS if you go out to where you don't see land and even then in a storm you could get easily confused and miss landmarks due to visibility.

Working in marine electronics and communications (commercial ships) all I can say is:

Forget about your phone, keep it for phoning home. Get a proper marine GPS, and a marine VHF radio for your boat. Rescue services are equipped to deal with marine equipment and direct communication, cellphones just don't cut it. Even simple handheld devices are fine for small recreational boats, you don't need to spend a fortune. If something goes wrong and you need to call for help it will make a huge difference to your chance of survival.

If you don't believe me, ask your friendly coastguard service for their advice. These items will come just behind lifejackets in their list of essentials to be sure you go home alive.
    06-15-10 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD