devildrifterX found and posted a great graph in another thread that sheds a lot of light on the benefits (or not) for a bb netflix app.

Thats assuming that 200k people will sign up for Netflix solely because of the Playbook, and that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25% of the Playbook userbase to date if RIM has sold 800k-1million devices. For many people, especially the ones complaining right now they are already subscribers, Netflix would lose money just to support a small segment of their users. They would need to sign up new users to make money or at the very least cover their costs to support the platform.

Look at this graph, you can see the trend of how people actually use Netflix and on what devices Click to view quoted image

Only 3% of iPad users use Netflix...what do you think 3% of the Playbook would be?

The vast majority of Netflix use is done on devices tied to the home, or on devices with massive marketshare in the mobile space, or mobile entertainment devices (3DS/Vita).

When you have stats that look like this, would you think it would be wise to support the Playbook?
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-25-12 11:50 AM
    Let me share a little Netflix history. When I joined, both services were $8 total. Soon after, they determined that they couldn't afford to supply both at that price, raised the price to $10. I had no issues. In less than a year from that, they jacked the price to $8 each for DVD and streaming services, no discount for having both, and they were splitting the DVD business off as a separate company. At which point, based on those almost simultaneous decisions, I was one of the 2,000,000 customers they lost in one month. So, Netflix isn't necessarily known for brilliant thinking.

That said, I admire the op standing for his beliefs, but he was basically alone leaving AT&T over bridge, will be close to alone leaving Netflix over no Playbook support. Not much of a recognizable protest from the viewpoints of AT&T and Netflix.

All this makes me wonder why the Playbook browser can't handle Netflix. I never had a special Netflix program on my PC. Just sayin'....
    02-25-12 12:13 PM
    Sorry but its about over for rim they just did to little to late. Apple is also a monopoly in the makin to bad they didnt go under it be diff for rim now.
    The thing about monopolies is that it is a short term phenomenon. When I say short term it could go on for ten yrs but in the larger economic sense its only short term.

A monopoly is always broken in a free market because there will always be players who will try and come in between the monopoly holder and his profits.

In the eighties MS broke Apple's monopoly in the PC market and brought Apple to its knees. Apple came back and broke the music player monopoly in the 2000's and the smartphone monopoly held by RIM in 2007. Already android is giving a run to Apple for the monopoly it setup in 2007. I'm not suggesting that RIM would necessarily break Apple's and Androids monopoly people, but if not RIM then there will be something else waiting in the wings. What it would be, nobody knows. That's the beauty of technology.

Apple needs a completely new OS in the coming few years. IOS is fast approaching the same vintage as BBOS. Android shifts fast but is having problems with ICS.

The newest OS is BB10. It is finding its feet for sure but in a year's time it would be baked while the iOS would be getting older.

Am I betting against iOS...no. Is it getting old....yes. Does iOS needs transition in a few years, YES. Again on Transition BB seems to be ahead. Where it would lead is anyone's guess. But your pronouncement of BBs death and Apple's infinite monopoly seems baseless.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-25-12 03:10 PM
    Sorry but its about over for rim they just did to little to late. Apple is also a monopoly in the makin to bad they didnt go under it be diff for rim now.
    What about Google and Microsoft.
    02-25-12 03:23 PM
    I like the petition idea.

But personally, if I'm dissatisfied with a service I do cancel. I cancelled Netflix long ago.
    02-25-12 03:27 PM
    You are giving Netflix an ultimatum? Wow this is comedic gold. I'm sure they will have no problem saying "bye bye" because they will gain more customers than PBs actually being used by consumers.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-25-12 at 03:35 PM.
    02-25-12 03:32 PM
    Here is something I posted in one of the other dozen Netflix threads

Like ive said before. 3% of 1 million playbooks is a lot better then 0% of 1 million playbooks. Plus, remember that we arent just talking about PLAYBOOKS. There is NO SUPPORT for ANY BLACKBERRY DEVICE.

I posted some links earlier saying that there are 32 million people in canada and over 40 million BBM subscribers... meaning that (by the numbers) BBM devices are a bigger market then canada is, yet canada has netflix.

Now, lets consider on the LARGE scale that HALF (just overestimating for the sake of the argument) of those devices either cant play or wont have access to netflix... so that leaves BBM and Playbooks at around 15 million. What is 3% of 15 million? My count says its around 500 000 potential users. Now, again for arguments sake, lets say that only half of these people actually use netflix past the one month free trial. That is 1.5% of ALL netflix capable/potential devices (using overexagerated numbers AGAINST the possibilty of getting netflix) and the number is 250 000! So for some more math. 250 000 people paying $8 for ONE MONTH of service is ... 2 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

So lets do even more math. Lets say that 1% of THESE people only stay on for ONE MONTH (that is 2 500 people). At $8 per person ONE MONTH of paid use brings in $20 000 for netflix. SO!, if there are 43 Million BBM users/devices and 2 500 people would bring in TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH you need 0.006% of BBM/PB users to pay netflix for ONE MONTH for them to earn $20 000 (which I am sure will be MORE then enough for them to develop the app). What does that mean in simple numbers?

It means 1 in every 16 700 users will need to pay for ONE MONTH of use.

I think those are pretty favourable numbers. Remember... business is about making money, and ANY AMOUNT of money that is ABOVE cost should be 'RELEVANT' to the company. If you have to pay a group of people $20 000 for ONE TIME with 0.006% of the affected users needed IN ONE MONTH to gain that money back, i will say that NOT GETTING into the BB/PB market is one of the worst business decisions an already lacking business can make.

*** I understand my math is not 100% accurate, as i did most of it in my head... but saying that 43 million people are not relevant to a company that only has around 25 million subscribers just goes to show that the people making the decisions dont know what they are talking about
    02-25-12 05:52 PM
    Here is something I posted in one of the other dozen Netflix threads
    My guess is netflix buys into the idea that blackberry as a platform is going to shrink over time. So whatever the numbers now I guess they think it'll be less.

But again. I use a Tivo. Netflix added a Tivo app not all that long ago. Not sure how many Tivo users there are but I woud bet its a heck of a lot less than the numbers you posted. So it would seem they are not being consistent.
    02-25-12 06:13 PM
    RIM should sweeten the deal and pay them to make it.
    02-25-12 06:29 PM
    What we need is for someone to blog about this on the homepage. Supply an email address and date, then we get Netflix's attention.
    02-25-12 09:32 PM
    I already cancelled my Netflix sub awhile back. Maybe if they hadn't screwed around with their model, and maybe if they had a better selection I would consider going back (provided they produce an app for the PB )
    02-25-12 09:35 PM
    Android shifts fast but is having problems with ICS.
    What are these problems? ICS runs brilliantly on my Galaxy Nexus.
    02-25-12 09:46 PM
    Everyone needs to take one minute and send an email to Netflix. Even if you don't user the service. Send them an email and express your disappointment with their decision.
    02-25-12 09:59 PM
    What are these problems? ICS runs brilliantly on my Galaxy Nexus.
    A Collection of Ice Cream Sandwich UI Issues
    02-26-12 01:54 AM
    These are problems?

First, you don't need to swipe to get to the widgets from the app drawer. You just touch "widgets" and you are there. The fact that he is complaining that it takes numerous swipes if you have a ton of apps is pretty ridiculous, especially when a swipe is totally not necessary.

No pinch to zoom in the Gmail app is annoying, but nothing major. There are plenty of other email apps in the market. Stock is not the only option.

The other thing he mentions isn't a "problem" that's just a personal preference.

This isn't a list of "problems". This is a list of minor annoyances from one user. When you said problems I thought I was going to be hearing about a bunch of major flaws and glitches. lol
    02-26-12 03:08 AM
    These are problems?

First, you don't need to swipe to get to the widgets from the app drawer. You just touch "widgets" and you are there. The fact that he is complaining that it takes numerous swipes if you have a ton of apps is pretty ridiculous, especially when a swipe is totally not necessary.

No pinch to zoom in the Gmail app is annoying, but nothing major. There are plenty of other email apps in the market. Stock is not the only option.

The other thing he mentions isn't a "problem" that's just a personal preference.

This isn't a list of "problems". This is a list of minor annoyances from one user. When you said problems I thought I was going to be hearing about a bunch of major flaws and glitches. lol
    It's in the news so it must be true. Rather like all the PB bashing. Personal preference=major glitches these days, or have you had a sabbatical from CB the past few months
    02-26-12 03:15 AM
    It's in the news so it must be true. Rather like all the PB bashing. Personal preference=major glitches these days, or have you had a sabbatical from CB the past few months
    Lack of an entire set of native apps that should have been there from launch (pre 2.0) and barely any ecosystem is much bigger than this. I do understand what you are saying though, the media is hounding on many little things.
    02-26-12 03:22 AM
    My guess is netflix buys into the idea that blackberry as a platform is going to shrink over time. So whatever the numbers now I guess they think it'll be less.

But again. I use a Tivo. Netflix added a Tivo app not all that long ago. Not sure how many Tivo users there are but I woud bet its a heck of a lot less than the numbers you posted. So it would seem they are not being consistent.
    On that, there may be a huge difference. Tivo is primarily in 1st world countries where Netflix is strong or gaining a footprint. A lot of RIM's customer base is in countries that, for one reason or another, Netflix doesn't have a presence, may not want a presence.
    02-26-12 08:38 AM
    In the eighties MS broke Apple's monopoly in the PC market and brought Apple to its knees.
    Having been there, I guess I missed that one. Sorry. Apple never had a PC monopoly. Apple tried coming off the popularity of cp/m, just like MS did, but unsuccessfully. It took the MS bailout to get them going.

My real question, though, is how does your discussion with avt123 about ICS having issues (or not) have ANYTHING to do with Netflix not creating a BB app? Just wondering. And looking forward to seeing how you two are going to get this back on subject.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-26-12 08:47 AM
    Right off the bat i just wanna say that i don't have Netflix and am not a fan of it. I can see the whole craze in it and that's good but really there's nothing on Netflix that i cant get else ware. yes it might take some time to get but then i have it forever and don't have to pay an addition 8$ a month to get it. Yes its nice that it would be automatically compatible with my device and i wouldn't have to format it. but in the big scheme of things you can format in no time at all to anything else with the right program. i can see the original OPs thought trend on the issue im just saying that having or not having Netflix isn't the end of the world...
    02-26-12 09:10 AM
    Right off the bat i just wanna say that i don't have Netflix and am not a fan of it. I can see the whole craze in it and that's good but really there's nothing on Netflix that i cant get else ware. yes it might take some time to get but then i have it forever and don't have to pay an addition 8$ a month to get it. Yes its nice that it would be automatically compatible with my device and i wouldn't have to format it. but in the big scheme of things you can format in no time at all to anything else with the right program. i can see the original OPs thought trend on the issue im just saying that having or not having Netflix isn't the end of the world...
    It's true but at the same time netflix in Canada sucks compared to the amount on netflix in the States. I don't understand why these companies are just pushing aside RIM, doesn't make much sense to me but whatever that's life right. I would email them if I had netflix
    02-26-12 11:17 AM
    Besides the fact that there is not now, nor has there ever been an "exclusive" deal between Apple and Netflix, your own argument here is internally inconsistent. If Netflix needs 80% of U.S. households to use their service, why would they sign an exclusive deal with Apple, which can't deliver the 80%? And if exclusivity is the reason there's no PlayBook app, why is Netflix available for so many other devices?
    Exactly...why is Netflix available on so many OTHER devices??
    02-26-12 12:31 PM
    For you the user, it may well be functional, and a simple matter to repackage. But from the developer/support side it's a different matter entirely. Ensuring suitable DRM methods are in place isn't always a simple matter of repackaging, QA checks to ensure it works as well as they would prefer, support tickets for a device for which the app was not specifically designed for, etc...

I know if I were on the development team, I'd sooner choose to produce a native app designed to take advantage of and run reliably specific to that platform. And for that, I'd wait until BB10 was out, development tools complete, and the ecosystem established.
    That is just an opinion, you or I dont know why Netflix hasn't released an app. Currently there is a DRM media folder in PB Android player and still no port. Does the reason really matter???
    02-26-12 12:40 PM
    Exactly...why is Netflix available on so many OTHER devices??
    I don't know, but the availability of an app for the other devices certainly defeats the "exclusivity" argument.

That is just an opinion, you or I dont know why Netflix hasn't released an app. Currently there is a DRM media folder in PB Android player and still no port. Does the reason really matter???
    Netflix offers streaming, not downloads, so the presence of a "DRM media folder" is irrelevant to the discussion of Netflix streaming availability.
    02-26-12 12:43 PM
    Marching orders? A bit extreme?

I understand the frustration you have, but
    Before you send them cancel threat letters
    Or conspiring that apple and android are
    Blocking RIM from getting it, have any
    Of you thought to ask netflix them selves
    Why? I saw the article where they said
    There is no plans to suuport the playbook
    But is there an article I missed where they
    Say why? If not, perhaps you guys should
    Start there?

In my selfish opinion I hope you guys dont succeed in making
    Netflix bankrupt. I use it on my tv and like it. Its a paid
    Service that is available to those who wish to have
    Its a choice given to all.

So lets find out who is to blame first shall we?
    morales0416 likes this.
    02-26-12 02:21 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD