Hello,

I'm very impressed with 2.0 and have always been impressed with the Playbook specs. They are just awesome. I've enjoyed mine from day one at full price and still feel like I got a great deal because I actually use it often. Several times a day and the bridge feature saved me some bucks over time, I believe enough to fully pay for the Playbook.

I've been quite an activist for BlackBerry and when AT&T refused to allow the Bridge feature to function I left and went to Sprint. Now that Netflix has made it clear that they won't support the Playbook, I'm cancelling my account with them.

Why have I become such a die hard fan of BlackBerry? Actually, for the same reason I was an Apple fan when it was on its deathbed at the hands of Microsoft (and I mean deathbed - Apple would have died if not for a cash infusion from Microsoft itself in order to prevent a monopoly label). There were two main reasons: 1. I liked the product; 2. More importantly, I hated watching a large U.S. corporation killing off an innovative company with good ideas. Unfortunately, Apple learned many wrong lessons from their near death experience and now sue more people than Microsoft. They are also using their dominant position to practice anti-competitive behavior.

The issue was not really Apple then or BlackBerry today. The issue is the despicable behavior or dominant market players use to kill competition.

Is Netflix bowing to Apple or someone else to hurt BlackBerry? Lets take a look at this question:

Netflix has a tremendously high cost for content. The only way this works is for them to have just about 80% of U.S. households use their service. If they don't they lose critical revenue on a fixed or actually rising cost structure and simultaneously they also lose bargaining power against content providers.

Netflix needs to pursue every single possible way of gaining or retaining clients. A Netflix app for BlackBerry, especially for the Playbook, would be a piece of cake. Especially when you consider that they could submit it as an android app and have it running in less than 30 minutes. So the reason is not technical or that it does not make sense for their business model. They absolutely need BlackBerry user business. Therefore, there is a different reason and I still remember that I did not understand why Steve Jobs was smiling so broadly when they locked an exclusive deal with Netflix, that eventually also went to Android. I mean, Netflix would reduce Apple Movie sales so why the joy? Maybe because he knew that if he kept content from competitors, the unit sales would more than make up for content sales. Even today's iPad2 vs. Playbook comparison gave it to the iPad2 not for hardware or even UI but for content.

I must say that I am stubborn to a fault and every time I see this type of behavior it just increases my resolve to deny a large corporation from dictating to me what device I must use. I love my BlackBerry and I think RIM is an ethical company that does great things with its money.

After reading the Netflix tweet I've decided to do the following and I invite others to do the same.

This needs to be a two pronged attack.

1. We, at least I, need to continue to amaze my friends and co-workers with the very awesome Playbook and make it easy for them to get one so the base grows. The more of us there are the less we can be ignored. I've actually gotten twelve people to buy Playbooks.

2. I'm sending Netflix an ultimatum. If you do not come out and state that you have decided to actively start working on a Playbook app, I will close my account with Netflix on March 15th (giving them a date gives them an opportunity to fix it.)
    Obviously, the more of us that do this the more significant it would be. Seriously, Netflix is desperate to increase its user base and the competition is on the way. Comcast has plans to launch a service, Verizon is teaming up with Coinstar, and others are working on similar projects.

Even if we just bit the bullet for one month, the collective revenue loss on fixed expenses would be devastating. Share price would take a hit and further weaken this company that is already going to face some stiff competition. Look how badly negative press hurt RIM last year.

Anyway, I'll be sending my tweet to them tomorrow and using March 15th as the deadline. I fully expect to cancel my account with them because I don't expect them to change course. I really don't think that is a big loss to me but even if it is to some fellow CrackBerry users, at least consider doing it for 30 days. There will be an effect if you do.

Thanks for reading. I just want to close by saying I have no relationship or investments in RIM. I just don't like the bully attitudes of the big companies that try to kill the competion. I am going to keep pimping my Playbook to everyone I can and I'm sending a message to Netflix and then I'm taking action.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 02-24-12 at 11:35 PM.
    02-24-12 11:32 PM
    One more for the list.
    List of conspiracy theories
    02-24-12 11:43 PM
    Excellent article.... I especially appreciated your back history on Apple and Microsoft... Most people do not realize how close Apple was close to folding... I hear your logic about why Netflix may not being producing an App for Playbook.... You may very well be right.. My view is somewhat different... but that is another post... had done a couple to day alone on the who Netflix issue..... The whole issue is becoming a bit tiresome to me.....

I think your right on with how you propose to protest.... If enough people take the steps you outlined... there is no telling what could happen.... Unfortunatley I am a cynic but the good part of that is when I am wrong... which is more often than I care to admit....
    02-24-12 11:46 PM
    There will be a time when Netflix needs us and we will not be there for them!
    02-25-12 12:09 AM
    Somebody else made a great point in the other thread where everybody was gonna boycott NetFlix. It goes something like this..... Netflix gains and loses more customers in a quarter than the total number of Playbooks sold.

So.....good luck I guess.
    02-25-12 12:12 AM
    The issue was not really Apple then or BlackBerry today. The issue is the despicable behavior or dominant market players use to kill competition.

Is Netflix bowing to Apple or someone else to hurt BlackBerry? Lets take a look at this question:

Netflix has a tremendously high cost for content. The only way this works is for them to have just about 80% of U.S. households use their service. If they don't they lose critical revenue on a fixed or actually rising cost structure and simultaneously they also lose bargaining power against content providers.

Netflix needs to pursue every single possible way of gaining or retaining clients. A Netflix app for BlackBerry, especially for the Playbook, would be a piece of cake. Especially when you consider that they could submit it as an android app and have it running in less than 30 minutes. So the reason is not technical or that it does not make sense for their business model. They absolutely need BlackBerry user business. Therefore, there is a different reason and I still remember that I did not understand why Steve Jobs was smiling so broadly when they locked an exclusive deal with Netflix, that eventually also went to Android. I mean, Netflix would reduce Apple Movie sales so why the joy? Maybe because he knew that if he kept content from competitors, the unit sales would more than make up for content sales. Even today's iPad2 vs. Playbook comparison gave it to the iPad2 not for hardware or even UI but for content ...snip
    This would make alot more sense if not for this:

Netflix for Vita ready for handheld’s US launch
    Netflix Launching on the 3DS in North America
    Netflix Officially Supported on original Galaxy Tab
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 - Netflix Launch on Android
    Monday, November 1, 2010 Xbox and Windows Phone 7 News

Seems more like Netflix choosing on what and when they deploy their services to than any Apple conspiracy to block RIM. Wasn't Windows phone 7 in it's infancy in 2010?

Guess it's just easier to rationalize Apple is behind everything bad when it comes to RIM, even though Samsung, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all have Netflix capability. Maybe it's an Axis of Evil. Maybe there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-25-12 at 12:17 AM.
    02-25-12 12:14 AM
    Many big US development houses are on board and not porting apps to the PlayBook. MS did it yesterday with the note app for iphone, pad and android but nothing for BB. We know how easy it would be to port to PB, but they don't.
    It's clear to me and others that these large players are trying to hold RIM, PB and by proxy new OS back. This type of behavior is very sad, yet to be expected from companies that fear competition.
    02-25-12 12:15 AM
    The only way this works is for [Netflix] to have just about 80% of U.S. households use their service. If they don't they lose critical revenue on a fixed or actually rising cost structure and simultaneously they also lose bargaining power against content providers.
    Therefore, there is a different reason and I still remember that I did not understand why Steve Jobs was smiling so broadly when they locked an exclusive deal with Netflix, that eventually also went to Android.
    Besides the fact that there is not now, nor has there ever been an "exclusive" deal between Apple and Netflix, your own argument here is internally inconsistent. If Netflix needs 80% of U.S. households to use their service, why would they sign an exclusive deal with Apple, which can't deliver the 80%? And if exclusivity is the reason there's no PlayBook app, why is Netflix available for so many other devices?
    02-25-12 12:27 AM
    Sounds good to me OP. Thankfully netflix completely sucks so it should be easy enough for folks who have not already left to jump on the bandwagon.
    02-25-12 12:34 AM
    US Census BureauU.S. Population 313,077,196 * .80 = 250,461,756.9

Number of Netflix subscribers - From Netflix

"With more than 23 million streaming members in the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom and Ireland, Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] is the world's leading internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV series...Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited films and TV episodes streamed over the internet to PCs, Macs and TVs. Among the large and expanding base of devices streaming from Netflix are the Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and Sony PS3 consoles; an array of Blu-ray disc players, internet-connected TVs, home theatre systems, digital video recorders and internet video players; Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Apple TV and Google TV. In all, more than 700 devices that stream from Netflix are available."

It doesn't seem like 80% of the US uses Netflix.
    Next
    02-25-12 12:38 AM
    Wile the stats are not bang on I like the enthusiasm!! Thanks OP. I agree with bbthiagurl. It's becoming quite clear the US companies would prefer this market to themselves.
    02-25-12 12:45 AM
    Wile the stats are not bang on I like the enthusiasm!! Thanks OP. I agree with bbthiagurl. It's becoming quite clear the US companies would prefer this market to themselves.
    Sony, Samsung and Nintendo are not US companies.
    02-25-12 12:48 AM
    Sigh......seriousely? Is that how we do things these days? Every time we dont like something we threaten to boycott and cancel . Here's an idea instead of coming off as an angry child why don't you get everybody on Crackberry to sign a friendly petition and send it to the ceo of Netflix? Respectfully ask that Netflix produce a BB app. Appeal to his financial side and state that Netflix is missing out on a huge revenue stream and remind him of how many BB users there are world wide. I gurantee that would get you a better response than the angry temper tantrum approach. Your average Fortune 500 company gets thousands of pissed off letters and emails every day and most get deleted and shredded. It's the intelligent, reasonable, logical requests that get responded to. You come up with a reasonable petition and I would be happy to sign.
    02-25-12 01:18 AM
    Sony, Samsung and Nintendo are not US companies.
    Not sure what those companies have to due with the topic?
    02-25-12 05:13 AM
    Care to explain how it's clear US companies would prefer this market to themselves?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-25-12 at 05:42 AM.
    02-25-12 05:37 AM
    It's becoming quite clear the US companies would prefer this market to themselves.
    Netflix is a U.S. company; if it truly wanted the market to itself, wouldn't it make apps for every single device out there in order to discourage competition?

Sony, Samsung and Nintendo are each examples of non-U.S. companies which sell at least one device for which a Netflix app is available.
    02-25-12 08:14 AM
    What I don't get is why is Netflix being so adamant? I don't care about Netflix, I'm in India so it's not even available here.

But looking at the way people in America are hollering for playbook support and still no response from netflix is a bit puzzling.

How much would it cost netflix to provide playbook support? And wouldn't that cost be offset by increased members? I'm just trying to understand netflix thought process.
    02-25-12 08:47 AM
    Why do so many people overlook the simplest explanation?

It's no secret that the Blackberry ecosystem is in a transitional stage. Until the transition is complete, you can't expect everybody else to participate in the transition.

The PB/BB10 operating system and the development tools are still being developed, and not complete. By all accounts, sure, it's getting much closer to maturity, but still not quite finished.

It wouldn't be irrational logic to conclude that Netflix and many others are simply waiting for BB10 to be complete before committing resources to begin development. Especially for a company that is very dependent on ensuring that a suitable DRM model is in place. Not many are going to commit when they see a high potential for numerous OS updates that could require frequent re-writes.

Or is it just more exciting to scream "conspiracy"?
    02-25-12 08:51 AM
    Jones,
    Sounds like a plausible explanation. I guess a little patience seems to be the what the doctor ordered.
    02-25-12 09:14 AM
    Why do so many people overlook the simplest explanation?

It's no secret that the Blackberry ecosystem is in a transitional stage. Until the transition is complete, you can't expect everybody else to participate in the transition.

The PB/BB10 operating system and the development tools are still being developed, and not complete. By all accounts, sure, it's getting much closer to maturity, but still not quite finished.

It wouldn't be irrational logic to conclude that Netflix and many others are simply waiting for BB10 to be complete before committing resources to begin development. Especially for a company that is very dependent on ensuring that a suitable DRM model is in place. Not many are going to commit when they see a high potential for numerous OS updates that could require frequent re-writes.

Or is it just more exciting to scream "conspiracy"?
    There's no bad guy in your version, hence the screams of "conspiracy."
    avt123 likes this.
    02-25-12 09:29 AM
    Id like to help you but I already cancelled netflix when they doubled the price out of nowhere.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 09:45 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    I won't spend a great deal of time with rebuttals on people that disagree with me on this issue. After all, this is an open forum and we are all entitled to our opinion.

I'll just say that I have my view and that I've seen this type of anti-competitive behavior before and it happens because consumers allow it. Maybe we won't win this fight but I'm sure as not going to roll over.

Already they have come back with a better comment just from the previous people that stood up to them on this.
    @Netflixhelps Tweets:

I know it is very easy for Netflix to support the Playbook if nothing else by just submitting their existing android app.

I sent my tweet to netflixhelps this morning.

I have found a couple of websites that work great on the Playbook to entertain my kids, which is the main reason I have Netflix in the first place.

PBS KIDS: Educational Games, Videos and Activities For Kids!
    Nick Jr. | Preschool Kids Games, Preschool Activities & Lesson Plans
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    and now the BlackBerry video store.
    www.abc.com
    CBS TV Network Primetime, Daytime, Late Night and Classic Television Shows
    TV Network for Primetime, Daytime and Late Night Television Shows - NBC Official Site

There are many others and as I mentioned with the Verizon / Coinstar deal there will soon be others.

I hope if some of you agree with me on this issue you will join me and tell Netflix that if they don't commit to a date to provide support for the Playbook by March 15th we are going to cancel our Netflix subscription.
    I'm really questioning why I need it in the firstplace but for people that see it differently, if they just cancel for 30 days and see what else is available I believe we can still make a difference.

I think it is better than doing nothing.

Provide a date for Playbook support by March 15th or Netflix is out.

@netflixhelps
    02-25-12 11:13 AM
    I know it is very easy for Netflix to support the Playbook if nothing else by just submitting their existing android app.
    For you the user, it may well be functional, and a simple matter to repackage. But from the developer/support side it's a different matter entirely. Ensuring suitable DRM methods are in place isn't always a simple matter of repackaging, QA checks to ensure it works as well as they would prefer, support tickets for a device for which the app was not specifically designed for, etc...

I know if I were on the development team, I'd sooner choose to produce a native app designed to take advantage of and run reliably specific to that platform. And for that, I'd wait until BB10 was out, development tools complete, and the ecosystem established.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-25-12 at 11:22 AM. Reason: proofing
    02-25-12 11:20 AM
    What I don't get is why is Netflix being so adamant? I don't care about Netflix, I'm in India so it's not even available here.

But looking at the way people in America are hollering for playbook support and still no response from netflix is a bit puzzling.

How much would it cost netflix to provide playbook support? And wouldn't that cost be offset by increased members? I'm just trying to understand netflix thought process.
    There are only a few people in America "hollering for playbook support", most people that want it have it. It's like buying a vehicle, if one maker doesn't have what you desire in their vehicles then get something from someplace else, simple.
    02-25-12 11:26 AM
    Sorry but its about over for rim they just did to little to late. Apple is also a monopoly in the makin to bad they didnt go under it be diff for rim now.
    02-25-12 11:47 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD