I hear from the forums & even some friends who are using Blackberry that the native maps is useless or hopeless or even lousy.

I personally like the BlackBerry maps on OS 7 and love the maps on BlackBerry 10. What I like about it is :
    1. It gives turn by turn voice directions
    2. Search on maps, by just typing "Thai Restaurant" & it will search for any thai restaurants around the area & show me. It will even give me directions to get there too.
    3. The clean easy to understand design of the maps.
    4. Being able to save my favourite places & give me directions to get there again in the future.
    5. It even works in the background without using data while I'm driving.

Hope some of you who don't like BlackBerry maps can share with me what is it that you don't like about BlackBerry maps so that I can understand why.

Posted via CB10
    SifiGamer and sklotz2000 like this.
    01-11-14 12:53 PM
    Has live traffic too.

It's because people are spoilt by the likes of Google maps. But for that there is BeMaps.

I've found Maps to be perfectly fine personally. It's good for looking up business numbers and linking with appointments.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 12:56 PM
    The maps native app is so limited. I can't search for things nearby like I can on something like Google. It should be called bbgps not maps. I live in a city so walking or biking directions are important to me.

As a gps app it is decent. I find that it often gets "confused" and messes or changed my route thinking I've moved or gone off course when it haven't.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 12:57 PM
    The maps native app is so limited. I can't search for things nearby like I can on something like Google. It should be called bbgps not maps. I live in a city so walking or biking directions are important to me.

As a gps app it is decent. I find that it often gets "confused" and messes or changed my route thinking I've moved or gone off course when it haven't.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but I live in a city too & I can look for businesses by the their names too. Naturally I don't expect to find a small mom & pop shop by looking for the name but usually bigger businesses do appear.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:02 PM
    Works fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:16 PM
    Needs walking, biking, and transit directions. That's really my only gripe.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:23 PM
    It may not be the very best map app but it does the job just fine and makes the Q10 shine! If you want a better driving map app buy the Garmin Nuvi. Tested the BB maps versus the Garmin and they both performed flawlessly on my last trip to Canada
    andy957 likes this.
    01-11-14 01:26 PM
    Maps is awful. It's incredibly slow and doesn't offer accurate results (based on side-by-side comparison with Google Maps). Even Apple Maps is better.

I tried BeMapsPro but was really disappointed to find that it still didn't work as well as Google Maps. I ultimately downloaded Google Maps via Snap and it works fine (minus the inability to link to my Google account which doesn't matter for me).

I also use Waze a lot.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:26 PM
    I think it's fine. Used it to navigate to an address just yesterday that would not pull up on my garmin or Google maps. Does a great job for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:34 PM
    The maps are superb. I live in a crowded city and it works flawlessly. Often much better than Google maps on my friends iPhones

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:44 PM
    I'm sorry but I live in a city too & I can look for businesses by the their names too. Naturally I don't expect to find a small mom & pop shop by looking for the name but usually bigger businesses do appear.

Posted via CB10
    I stopped using it in 10.1 but I just looked and they seemed to have improved more general searches. In the past if I searched for bar only places with bar in the name would show up, now it does a better job. I still would like walking, biking and transit directions tho.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:49 PM
    After Nokia's maps, BlackBerry maps very poor and useless )=

@crmabbitt
    01-11-14 02:09 PM
    Maps is great for driving. Not great if you want to stare at a map and find pics of buildings and write ups of restaurants. Maps is simply Maps.
    andy957, sklotz2000 and rthonpm like this.
    01-11-14 02:13 PM
    It's terrible if you're trying to use it to just a bearing of your area or the area you want to go to. I think it's one of the worst maps ever made personally.

I just took a screen shot of BBMaps vs Google Maps (running off my Z10) and it should be obvious why anyone that needs mapping done on a BB10 device will choose Google Maps even if you have to side load it and even if it doesn't work very well.

I mean look at it.

There are 4 street names shown on BBMaps. If you want to be generous, let's say it's 7 because there are 3 partial names on it, even though you can't read them.

Look at the Google Maps screen shot. I count 19 street names, all of which are fully visible. 19 vs 4 (or 7). Google maps shows 12-15 more street names than BBMaps. And they're completely legible. There is SO much more information given on Google Maps. BBMaps is a f'ing embarrassment. I remember trying to use BBMaps multiple times because Google Maps doesn't run so hot on 10.1. And I remember thinking "dang, Google Maps, working half as well as it does normally is still millions of times better than BBMaps" after I spent way too long trying to figure out what the street names of streets near the location was going were called.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and Southern California doesn't work well with BBMaps, but I only use BBMaps for voice navigation. If I actually need any map information, it's Google Maps for me. And the thing is I WANT to use BBMaps because of how laggy the GMaps sideload is. Meh.
    01-11-14 02:14 PM
    I personally love the native maps app. Used it daily for work since I got my z10 around August. Os7 maps on the 9900 wasn't my favorite but bb10 maps is perfect for me. Out of hundreds of addresses it's never lead me in the wrong direction and when I deviate from it thinking I know where to go I usually regret it. It doesn't have some of the features others do but for directions and gps it beats out my actual gps and better than anything I've tried in my opinion. I never understood the dissatisfaction. I figured some of it stemmed from the os7 version.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 02:23 PM
    Maybe it depends on the city? Works very well here in Toronto, Canada.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    andy957 and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-11-14 02:27 PM
    Maps has been very good to me. My Garmin is showing its age and not dependable, so I have had to rely on my Z10 more. So far, so good.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-11-14 02:48 PM
    It's terrible if you're trying to use it to just a bearing of your area or the area you want to go to. I think it's one of the worst maps ever made personally.

I just took a screen shot of BBMaps vs Google Maps (running off my Z10) and it should be obvious why anyone that needs mapping done on a BB10 device will choose Google Maps even if you have to side load it and even if it doesn't work very well.

I mean look at it.

There are 4 street names shown on BBMaps. If you want to be generous, let's say it's 7 because there are 3 partial names on it, even though you can't read them.

Look at the Google Maps screen shot. I count 19 street names, all of which are fully visible. 19 vs 4 (or 7). Google maps shows 12-15 more street names than BBMaps. And they're completely legible. There is SO much more information given on Google Maps. BBMaps is a f'ing embarrassment. I remember trying to use BBMaps multiple times because Google Maps doesn't run so hot on 10.1. And I remember thinking "dang, Google Maps, working half as well as it does normally is still millions of times better than BBMaps" after I spent way too long trying to figure out what the street names of streets near the location was going were called.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and Southern California doesn't work well with BBMaps, but I only use BBMaps for voice navigation. If I actually need any map information, it's Google Maps for me. And the thing is I WANT to use BBMaps because of how laggy the GMaps sideload is. Meh.
    I see what you mean by this. Thanks. If you do find yourself in a situation like this on BlackBerry maps & have no road names, what I do is just zoom in by pinching the area I want to see & the road names will appear.

Posted via CB10
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-11-14 02:52 PM
    I live in Poland and i am unable to use 3d and turn by turn voice navi.
    So nokia maps in my barelly working nokia e5 are much better. Evey sideloaded Google maps are better because they have 3d
    01-11-14 02:57 PM
    Google maps is pretty much all I missed from my Android phone. Now that I've installed a leaked OS and installed Google maps from the Play Store, complete with public transit, I'm very happy.
    01-11-14 03:17 PM
    The search is its real failing. Once it "finds" the correct destination it's perfectly adequate. But the search is pretty bizarre.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-11-14 03:21 PM
    Needs walking, biking, and transit directions. That's really my only gripe.

Posted via CB10
    Mine too, as far as accuracy ect. I have not had many issues. It's good at what it does, just wish it could do more
    01-11-14 03:25 PM
    I really like BlackBerry Maps! It has a few bugs every now and then...and sometimes it can't find locations(rare). Overall it does exactly what I need.

Posted via Q10
    01-11-14 03:31 PM
    BB Maps doesn't have maps for my country, so for me is useless. Actually, one of the reasons I moved to Windows Phone is because of Nokia's Here Maps, which works like a charm, is free, and it has offline maps as well, so I don't have to rely on data signal all the time.
    01-11-14 03:42 PM
    As for others, I think they need to add way more cities and countries map datas, we are indeed a bit poor there in lot of part of the World's map...

And the lack of pedestrian, bike and such support is pitty too.

(Paris city for in car is decently suported btw)
    01-11-14 03:43 PM
128 123 ...