Hey!
    I think BlackBerry Maps is very weak and RIM should improve it with the release of BlackBerry 10. What do you guys think about it?
    07-30-12 04:06 AM
    In comparison to Googlemaps on Android and Nokia Maps/Drive on Windows phone, yes. I do think they need to improve it. However, i wouldn't exactly call it weak. It is still extremely useful for me despite BlackBerry Traffic not being available in my country. I do think that it would be nice if RIM could combine the 2.

The thing that I hope they would improve on is on search. The advantage google has is that they are a search engine company. Thus when using googlemaps, you can find where you need to go with just keywords. However, in my country where alot of the road names were named in either malay or chinese. Which isn't the easier thing to find (gmaps somehow manages that perfectly). I have to input the addresses accurately. That said, the performance of the maps are pretty good and easy on the data usage since they use vector instead of bmp.

I'm almost certain it will be improve on BB10, since they have partner with TomTom.Which is what Apple is doing on iOS 6 with maps too.

I'm not a fan of sharing location (for obvious reasons), but I think its fair to expect a lot of location sharing options on the maps on BB10. Easy check-in for foursquare, and sharing of location to other social networks (twitter, facebook, bbm, whatsapp, etc) from within the app itself.

Edit: Oh ya, one feature that i love on my Lumia 800 is the ability to store offline maps for Nokia Drive. I just download the map from the region i need, and the navigation voice and language with wifi. So when i'm out, i don't need to use much data to load the maps. Its brilliant. Especially for BlackBerry devices which has been know to be frugal on data. Having the ability to store offline maps will definitely help save data usage, especially when overseas. So hopefully, RIM is thinking about that as well.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 07-30-12 at 04:49 AM.
    Garvin6600 likes this.
    07-30-12 04:22 AM
    Well Said Alex.

I am unfamiliar with TomTom. but will educate myself shortly.
    Like you the Street names here where I live, Thailand, are in or were named in a non English language, Thai. BB Maps does a pretty reasonable job though. Google performs better when I am looking for a Restaurant or Shop. Even if the names are in the Local Thai language, normally my sleeping dictionary can assist with translation.
    It would be good if BB10 has a better search function and hopefully they will.

Coincidence, I was just beginning a search for a map App to d/l for my BB when I spotted this post.
    07-30-12 04:37 AM
    BB Maps suck. I've already deleted it off my phone. Its horrendous!

Google maps is better but without the voice navigated directions it pretty useless.
    Thats why I solely use Telenav now. But I think BB10 will probably incorporate Blackberry Traffic into the OS.
    07-30-12 09:59 AM
    Blackberry maps was not very good at all on my 9700, I just used Google maps. These days google and ios offer 3d mapping and offline caching of maps, BB10 needs to step up unbelievably in order to not be a joke

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    07-30-12 12:00 PM
    Really waiting for offline maps on BB10. Everything else is a plus. Always really wanted to be able to use my PlayBook as a true gps unit and hopefully BlackBerry Maps on BB10 will allow me to do that
    07-30-12 12:31 PM
    I don't have a problem with BB Maps, never have. I really like BB Traffic though and find it very useful.
    07-30-12 01:23 PM
    BB Maps is nice... until you actually try to use it in a real world scenario out in the field so to speak.

BB Traffic has gotten better, but nothing beats good ol Google Maps for finding places and real time driving directions.
    07-30-12 01:26 PM
    I might be alone on this but I used BB Maps all the time before BB Traffic and never had much of a problem. BB Traffic has been awesome with turn by turn driving directions. It works for me.Just my opinion.
    07-30-12 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD