Hey guys

I've been trying to use my Torch for gps stuff, and having problems! I've been reading through some threads here and people seem to be saying that native blackberry mapping software is actually ok and I'm just not seeing it, primarily becuase I can't seem to find a few options!

I've seen guys say that you can set the bbmaps app to turn as you move, thus making it possible to actually...well... navigate, but there simply isn't a setting for that on my phone, not in the 'options' window or in 'global map options', so I'm just stuck following a line on the map, and thats just not helpful.

I tried getting into the beta for Telmap Navigator, and although the software seems to be better, it still doesn't seem to have any other view options for me other than just keeping the map still and moving me on it (despite the help file saying that such views exist), which again means I can't really actually navigate. I had a previous version of Telmap on my 9000 which as I recall was pretty good, but not this version it seems.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ? I really thought that the gps navigation would be better than just a dot on a map. I wasn't expecting true turn by turn for free, but it'd be nice to at least be able to tell if im supposed to turning left or right without staring at the thing until it becomes apparent which way on the line I'm traveling! As it stands its only helpful because it tells me I haven't gone wrong, but it doesn't actually help me know where I'm suppsoed to be going!

Any help you guys could give would be helpful!
    01-07-11 01:36 PM
    What carrier do you have? With Sprint I get turn by turn for free. I think in your case you may need to pay for it.

Hey guys

I've been trying to use my Torch for gps stuff, and having problems! I've been reading through some threads here and people seem to be saying that native blackberry mapping software is actually ok and I'm just not seeing it, primarily becuase I can't seem to find a few options!

I've seen guys say that you can set the bbmaps app to turn as you move, thus making it possible to actually...well... navigate, but there simply isn't a setting for that on my phone, not in the 'options' window or in 'global map options', so I'm just stuck following a line on the map, and thats just not helpful.

I tried getting into the beta for Telmap Navigator, and although the software seems to be better, it still doesn't seem to have any other view options for me other than just keeping the map still and moving me on it (despite the help file saying that such views exist), which again means I can't really actually navigate. I had a previous version of Telmap on my 9000 which as I recall was pretty good, but not this version it seems.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ? I really thought that the gps navigation would be better than just a dot on a map. I wasn't expecting true turn by turn for free, but it'd be nice to at least be able to tell if im supposed to turning left or right without staring at the thing until it becomes apparent which way on the line I'm traveling! As it stands its only helpful because it tells me I haven't gone wrong, but it doesn't actually help me know where I'm suppsoed to be going!

Any help you guys could give would be helpful!
    01-16-11 03:19 AM
    In Blackberry maps, do a 'Start GPS Navigation' then bring up the menu. You will see a menu choice that says 'Track Up' or you will see it's opposite, 'North Up'. Its a toggle between the two.

North up = Map is displayed like an old fasioned paper map.

Track up = Map (and words) rotate around every time you make a turn. Makes it so that direction of travel is up.
    01-18-11 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD