Is there any way to improve the accuracy on Google Maps (or other map/GPS apps) on my Curve 8330? The best I have seen so far is about 3000 meters. Not even close to where I actually am...LOL
    06-08-09 08:42 PM
    Google maps will use gps but its slow and spotty at best. Bbmaps is free and the gps is pretty fair. The problem you are having with google is it is using the cell towers to get your location. The availability of gps apps is dependent on your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 08:46 PM
    Im on Sprint too and I use the Telenav service. If its included with your plan (like mine, everything plus) use it, if not I'd pay for it. Its amazing. Probably on par with any standalone GPS I've used.
    06-08-09 08:48 PM
    I used telenav for a while on alltel and I thought it dropped sat lock way too often to justify the 9.99 a month they wanted. Not to mention for that price it wouldn't take long to pay for a dedicated gps unit like a garmin.

06-08-09 08:59 PM
    maybe it was your area? where I live Ive had no problems..I love it. I used it on my touch pro and it was ok but slow to get a lock, but with my 8330 its instant and accurate..only lost my GPS lock in the most backwoods of areas of south jersey.
    06-08-09 09:03 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies and info. Very helpful. I do have Telenav included in my package. It did seem to be more accurate. Thanks again.
    06-08-09 09:14 PM
    I would use telenav for free...it wasn't bad. It actually worked fine in the rural area where I live, I did have problems going through memphis on the freeway.

06-08-09 09:44 PM
    I have used Telenav and BBmaps, and it has been my experience that Telenav is slow and a not quite as easy to use as BBmaps. I cannot speak to the accuracy of Telenav as I can't recall ever having problems as far as it not being accurate. But between the 2 for me it's hands down BBmaps. Regardless of your preference, I believe either one is probably a better choice then Google maps (for now anyway, who knows what Google will come out with next.....)
    06-08-09 09:57 PM
    Grandpa dan, I had the same problem with the google maps. I think I got as close to 3000 mtrs from my house here in Idaho. I found the bb maps so much. Better after I realized I had to turn on the gps part of the phone not just the 911 function! Works like a champ and uts free.

06-08-09 10:12 PM
    Very interesting info. How do I go about turning on the GPS function on my phone? I don't think I have done it yet. At least I don't recall doing it.
    06-14-09 03:16 PM
    Options / Advanced Options / GPS / GPS Services: Location On will turn on your internal GPS, unless it has been disabled by your carrier or by an IT policy.

06-14-09 03:30 PM
    Thanks, Jeff.
    06-14-09 05:01 PM
    Got it! Turned it on and BB Maps had my location to, I'd bet, 10 to 15 feet of where I was actaully standing. In my house!!! My handheld Garmin couldn't even find me. Thanks again for all of your help.
    06-14-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD