I've been using password keeper for a while now and have A LOT of personal information stored in it

My question is since I'm to scared to try it myself is, what will happen if someone types in the wrong password over and over again so it reaches 10 in corrects passwords that my limit is set too?

I don't want to try it myself not knowing what will happen... Anyone try it before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 02:49 PM
    ERASE EVERYTHING excluding the firmware it self. ..... basically a system wipe.

03-10-10 02:52 PM
    I recommend you don't use password keeper and use a third party app like ewallet or datavault that has a desktop component
    03-10-10 02:53 PM
    So it wipes the phone then?

03-10-10 02:56 PM
    I highly suggest you keep all of your passowrds written down and in a safe. Because I'm pretty sure what mjneid says is what will happen. I know it will brick the phone, I don't know how bad, though. It may just totally lock the OS down and require work from a desktop and BB Manager in order to unbrick it.
    03-10-10 03:00 PM
    I highly suggest you keep all of your passowrds written down and in a safe. Because I'm pretty sure what mjneid says is what will happen. I know it will brick the phone, I don't know how bad, though. It may just totally lock the OS down and require work from a desktop and BB Manager in order to unbrick it.
    it doesn't brick it... i've tried it on my 8100/8310/8900/9700 it will erase all of the entered stuff but leave the OS.

03-10-10 03:03 PM
    As long as I don't have my friends try to be dumb and try to get into my password keeper I should be fine. Well since I back my phone up once a week I should be fine also by not losing any information

I'm not worried about myself not remembering my password, I worry when I lend my Blackberry to others that want to play around with it

03-10-10 03:03 PM
    If you enter your Password Keeper password wrong 10 times it will just erase the content of your Password Keeper. Nothing else gets wiped.

It will not brick your BlackBerry nor will it erase any other info other than what's stored in your PK.

Once you reached the limit on incorrect passwords and your Password Keeper contents are wiped, the PK password will be reset and you can choose a new one.

As far as others trying to gain access to your Password Keeper, you might consider hiding your PK. That way, most people won't even know you have it. That's what i do.

miker476 likes this.
    03-10-10 03:29 PM
    Thanks. You learn something new every day around here.
    03-10-10 04:00 PM
    If you enter your Password Keeper password wrong 10 times it will just erase the content of your Password Keeper. Nothing else gets wiped.

It will not brick your BlackBerry nor will it erase any other info other than what's stored in your PK.

Once you reached the limit on incorrect passwords and your Password Keeper contents are wiped, the PK password will be reset and you can choose a new one.

As far as others trying to gain access to your Password Keeper, you might consider hiding your PK. That way, most people won't even know you have it. That's what i do.

why would it erase stuff that is already protect by a password... a different password than the one used to lock the device.... so it locks the "2 password needed" protected stuff and leaves everything else???

well like i said, i did it on my 8100 & 8310 & 8900 & 9700 and it erased everything but the OS.....

03-10-10 04:02 PM
    The Password Keeper password only protects the contents of the Password Keeper app.

The device password protects all device info. You may be confusing the two.

03-10-10 04:04 PM
    The Password Keeper password only protects the contents of the Password Keeper app.

The device password protects all device info. You may be confusing the two.

i was reading it incorrectly i was reading as if he/she entered the "device password" 10 times incorrectly....

*runs and hides*

03-10-10 04:10 PM
    LOL! Awww, don't hide! It's ok. That's what i figured you did. No big deal.

03-10-10 04:12 PM
    Chrisy520 is correct. Entering the Password Keeper password incorrectly 10 times will only wipe the password file, to prevent people stealing your passwords. It does not wipe your device. Entering either the Key Store password or the device password incorrectly 10 times (assuming the default value) will wipe the device. The Key Store password is particularly problematic since users often have never set one, and so have no possibility of entering it correctly.
    03-10-10 04:19 PM
    So basically the device password and password keeper are two different things. correct.?

my question is; is the password keeper only meant just to keep passwords.? or can it lock the phone too.? i dont use it but, am curious
    03-10-10 04:24 PM
    Does your device password change with different phones or is it applied to your phone number? I think I had a previous phone password protected but I'm not sure. I know your default password is the last 4 digits of your phone number. If I enable the password on my current phone but can't remember the password how do I eventually gain entry back into my phone?
    03-10-10 04:25 PM
    Does your device password change with different phones or is it applied to your phone number? I think I had a previous phone password protected but I'm not sure. I know your default password is the last 4 digits of your phone number. If I enable the password on my current phone but can't remember the password how do I eventually gain entry back into my phone?
    i think its applied to your phone number; but that one am not totally sure about; if you find out let mi kno

well if you use your device password and you dont remember your password after 10 tries; it'll wipe your phone xcept for the OS; then it'll reboot and let you back in your phone.happened twice to me almost cried; so i suggest you remember it.
    03-10-10 04:30 PM
    So basically the device password and password keeper are two different things. correct.?

my question is; is the password keeper only meant just to keep passwords.? or can it lock the phone too.? i dont use it but, am curious
    Yes blackberries have a Phone Lock to keep anyone out of your phone, but that can turn real sour if the wrong person enters the wrong password times.

and

it has a password keeper to store your log in information for various web sites, user names and passwords.

03-10-10 04:36 PM
    The password to lock the phone itself is device specific. If you recently upgraded to a new BB, you would have to reset the password on the new phone.

I'm pretty sure about this but I think maybe the password may stay the same if you use the device switch option in Desktop Manager to transfer your info from device to device... but I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure the only way to gain entry back into the phone is just enter the wrong password 10 times, wipe the phone and start over. Of course that's only if you can't figure out the password.
    Last edited by KillYouWithMyMind; 03-10-10 at 04:42 PM.
    03-10-10 04:40 PM
    The device password and the Password Keeper password are two completely separate passwords. Of course, if you want to make them the same, that's your (less secure) choice.

There is no default password on BlackBerry devices, unless you are a BES user and your IT department sets one. If you forget your password, there is no backdoor into your device. All you can do is let it wipe. That will delete all your personal data and reset your password and make your phone usable again.
    03-10-10 04:41 PM
    My other phone was not a Blackberry that is why I questioned if the device password was specific to the phone or phone number. I'm concerned what would happen if I lose the phone
    03-10-10 04:43 PM
    so...say i use both; the device password and the password keeper and i forget the device password and it wipes well it wipe the password keeper also.?
    probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure...
    03-10-10 04:44 PM
    My other phone was not a Blackberry that is why I questioned if the device password was specific to the phone or phone number. I'm concerned what would happen if I lose the phone
    It's device specific, you'd have to set up a password on each new device.
    03-10-10 04:45 PM
    Would I be able to restore my settings through my backup?
    03-10-10 04:45 PM
    so...say i use both; the device password and the password keeper and i forget the device password and it wipes well it wipe the password keeper also.?
    probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure...
    it wipes everything but the operating system... if you're talking about the device password.

If you enter the wrong password 10 times into the password keeper, it wipes all information in the password keeper
    03-10-10 04:46 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD