Very interesting thing happened to my texts... In a high level meeting and was texting back and forth with an associate. Went back a couple of hours later to review our text conversation, and VIOLA!, all of the texts had 1) Had my associates name Changed; and 2) The body of the text had been blanked out. This happened not only on the texts in that particular conversation, but all texts which had my associates name. Additionally, his entry was gone out of my address book, substituted with the body of a random, old email from my Inbox.

Talked to Verizon, they had never heard of this, also spoke to contacts I have within the cellular world, and they have never heard of such a thing...

I suspect by the nature of the texts we were exchanging, that my "associate" maliciously deployed some sort of macro to erase his tracks.

Anyone here have any ideas? If so, how do I stop it from occurring again?
    04-21-10 06:43 PM
    Nope. Can't be done. Your user info doesn't specify device or OS, so it's more difficult to give advice.

It also might be a one-time fluke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by travelingfool; 04-21-10 at 07:26 PM.
    04-21-10 06:57 PM
    It is highly unlikely that an malicious message could do this unless you clicked on and installed something. You should notice that even with one eye closed.

If I had to guess, you have an older device (8800 and lower model numbers) and it got low on free application memory. That can trigger the memory manager, and in some cases it can delete messages to recover memory and allow the phone to keep working.

If you have not already restarted the phoen, check Options/ Memory, Apps Free Memory. Then do a battery pull reboot and check again after it is fully restarted. If I'm right there will be a significant increase in free memory.

Let us know what you find. and which model phone.
    04-21-10 07:23 PM
    Does the associate use an iPhone? I read somewhere there is an app called "Tiger Text" (a la Tiger Woods' woes thanks to revealed text messages) which auto-erases texts from both users phones? Not sure what I was reading or where but I didn't pay much attention to it as I love my BB and am not up to anything where I need to be secretive with my texts. It definitely was iPhone related but I don't recall if it mentioned any cross platform capability.
    04-21-10 08:02 PM
    It is highly unlikely that an malicious message could do this unless you clicked on and installed something. You should notice that even with one eye closed.

If I had to guess, you have an older device (8800 and lower model numbers) and it got low on free application memory. That can trigger the memory manager, and in some cases it can delete messages to recover memory and allow the phone to keep working.

If you have not already restarted the phoen, check Options/ Memory, Apps Free Memory. Then do a battery pull reboot and check again after it is fully restarted. If I'm right there will be a significant increase in free memory.

Let us know what you find. and which model phone.
    ^ 100% agreed! I was just going to say this same thing -- as far as I've read, it is very common that as soon as a BB starts running out of memory, it starts acting crazy (for lack of a better word), which can present itself as deleting seemingly random things without your permission. What is your "File Free"?
    04-21-10 08:18 PM
    I've heard that when Tiger Text self deletes it leaves behind tiger paw prints in sand.

04-21-10 08:19 PM
    SMS, 8830, v4.5.0.175 (platform 3.4.0.55), 3.6 gb of free memory.

FYI. I was able to retrieve the texts by forwarding as an email. Some have suggested that the device memory could have been full causing it act strangely, however, I have a 4 gig media card installed of which only 400mb is in use. Perhaps this is an anomaly, but it is peculiar.
    04-22-10 01:47 PM
    They meant application memory, not..Device Memory. It should say Application Memory or Flash Memory.

ex. My 9550 currently has like 104.5mb free of Application Memory. Hope this helps.

SMS, Emails, and Contacts (as well as applications and the OS) are all saved to the flash memory, which is why if you're running low, it begins deleting unsaved emails or messages.
    04-22-10 01:52 PM
    SMS, 8830, v4.5.0.175 (platform 3.4.0.55), 3.6 gb of free memory.

FYI. I was able to retrieve the texts by forwarding as an email. Some have suggested that the device memory could have been full causing it act strangely, however, I have a 4 gig media card installed of which only 400mb is in use. Perhaps this is an anomaly, but it is peculiar.
    Your media card has nothing to do with your device running low on memory. All of your emails and sms's are stored on the device itself.

I would suggest backing up the essentials and doing a security wipe. There are files that build up over time and a wipe could regain you some precious memory.

So, what is your file free right now in Options / Status?

If you don't want to perform a security wipe, try deleting your log files ( Alt l g l g ) from your homescreen. Before you do this, get a before and after for your file free

04-22-10 01:59 PM
    Ugh. Sorry for the redundancy, Glitch. You posted that while I was typing.

04-22-10 02:01 PM
    Ugh. Sorry for the redundancy, Glitch. You posted that while I was typing.

Haha, no problem buddy.
    04-22-10 02:09 PM
    Options/Status/File Free=2.18mg

I would guess this is low considering the native flash memory is 64mb?

I will wipe it. Thanks.
    04-22-10 03:15 PM
    2.1 Megabytres is way too low. However, a Security Wipe is a very heavy hammer to crack a small problem.

Start with a battery pull, and make a backup using desktop manager, then start by reading http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    04-22-10 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD